Old March 24, 2004, 21:58   #151
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Giancarlo

Isn't there a charge for lying to public officials then? Didn't Martha Stewart do that?
If lying to public officials is a crime... Bush and his whole crew is going to jail over WMD's. So don't hold your breath about that one.
Old March 24, 2004, 22:02   #152
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:

Isn't there a charge for lying to public officials then? Didn't Martha Stewart do that?
Martha Stewart did obstruction of justice, since there's no related court case its impossible to charge Clarke with that (I think).
Old March 24, 2004, 22:07   #153
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

He was under oath... so if Clarke was lying, he'll be charged with perjury. If there is no charge of perjury,
EVERYTHING HE SAID WAS TRUE

so teh right wingers need to shut up if Clarke doesn't go to jail...

and if Clarke does, I'll shut up...
Old March 24, 2004, 22:30   #154
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 15:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
His testimony was under oath.
Well, then, so long as his book is what's false, he's still not guilty
Old March 24, 2004, 22:31   #155
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
IIRC that's an SEC violation - something COMPLETELY irrelevent to this case.
Old March 24, 2004, 23:41   #156
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kucinich

Well, then, so long as his book is what's false, he's still not guilty
well I'm referring solely to what he testified to today... turn on the news if you didn't hear it. The cable news networks have been talking about his testimony non-stop.

Bush is going down.
Old March 25, 2004, 00:48   #157
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It's also a crime to lie to Congress, so if he lied before Congress, he's in deep doodoo. However, what he said has been confirmed by O'Neil, and the documentary evidence. Bush is in deep doodoo.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 25, 2004, 01:16   #158
The Mad Monk
Emperor

What did he say?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 25, 2004, 01:21   #159
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

and if Clarke does, I'll shut up...
promise?
Old March 25, 2004, 02:49   #160
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 16:31
Quote:
However, what he said has been confirmed by O'Neil, and the documentary evidence.
You trust O'Neill? Ever see what that man has said? He caused uproars in Brazil and Argentina, calling the country and people there corrupt. I mean all of the people. The man is a liar. And personally I think O'Neill and Clarke has exchanged notes... so that is collusion which will stake up a few more charges I hope on both. Hopefully we will see Clarke behind bars in a few months, not only for outright lying under OATH, but also for collusion.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old March 25, 2004, 03:08   #161
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 11:31
Howard Zinn said, "Why aren't people questioning whether the Bush administration cares about terrorism or if all they really care about is influencing some part of the world that they desire influence in."

Good question. Is this just partisan crap before an election, or are Americans going to figure out whats really going on in our leaders heads? Throw all the jerks out.
Old March 25, 2004, 05:25   #162
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Bush is going down.
In your dumb dreams. In fact it is kerry going down..

BY SCOTT CANON
Knight Ridder Newspapers

KANSAS CITY - (KRT) - Confronted with 32-year-old FBI records, Sen. John Kerry's campaign all but conceded he attended a 1971 Kansas City meeting where a fellow anti-war veteran called for political assassinations.

Those active in Vietnam Veterans Against the War at the time stress that the suggestion for such a violent approach was angrily rejected. They say their memories do not include Kerry taking part in the radical discussion. (How convienient)

A statement Thursday by Kerry's camp said the Massachusetts Democrat did not recall the meeting, although FBI surveillance material and the group's archives clearly show that Kerry resigned from his national coordinator post at that November 1971 meeting. (He was there and did nothing)

In interviews last week, the senator's campaign insisted that the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee clearly remembered bolting from the group months earlier.

Responding to a request by The Kansas City Star that staffers question the candidate about the meeting, Kerry passed word March 12 that he "never, ever" attended a meeting of Vietnam Veterans Against the War after a heated and public argument with the group's executive secretary in St. Louis in June 1971.

In a prepared statement late Thursday night, however, campaign spokesman David Wade, traveling with the candidate in Idaho, said: "John Kerry had no personal recollection of this meeting 33 years ago. John Kerry does recall the disagreements with elements of VVAW leadership...that led to his resignation.

"If there are valid FBI surveillance reports from credible sources that place some of those disagreements in Kansas City, we accept that historical footnote in the account of his work to end the difficult and divisive war."

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunhera...printstory.jsp

This is going to explode. Attending a meeting calling for the assassination of public officials? Hmm... and John Kerry had no memory of these meetings? How convenient.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old March 25, 2004, 05:35   #163
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 20:31
Accusation: Bush lied!

Defense of the Bush-ites (like Giancarlo):

Uhhh.......hey! look over here, Kerry has lied!

Old March 25, 2004, 05:36   #164
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
You trust O'Neill? Ever see what that man has said? He caused uproars in Brazil and Argentina, calling the country and people there corrupt. I mean all of the people. The man is a liar. And personally I think O'Neill and Clarke has exchanged notes... so that is collusion which will stake up a few more charges I hope on both. Hopefully we will see Clarke behind bars in a few months, not only for outright lying under OATH, but also for collusion.
Do you think Mr Bush should be in prison for lying about Iraqi BCN weapons?
Old March 25, 2004, 05:53   #165
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Accusation: Bush lied!

Defense of the Bush-ites (like Giancarlo):

Uhhh.......hey! look over here, Kerry has lied!

Kerry went to a meeting on assassinating political leaders.. that's not exactly setting a precedent.

UR: Bush lied about Iraqi BCN weapons? Since when?
Old March 25, 2004, 10:10   #166
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 19:31
Giancarlo: Hypothetical situation... what would you do if Kerry wins?
Old March 25, 2004, 10:43   #167
Caligastia
Emperor

From www.boortz.com

Quote:
RICHARD CLARKE EITHER IS .. OR WAS .. A LIAR

The proceedings of the committee to elect John Kerry President continued yesterday, this time with walking contradiction Richard Clarke testifying. This is the guy that wrote the book blaming 9/11 on President Bush and praising Bill Clinton's 8 years of inaction on terrorism as somehow better. What an absolute crock...perhaps he's been hired to revise the Clinton legacy because the facts just aren't on this guy's side.

Surprisingly, this egomaniac's head actually fit through the door of the hearing room. Clarke kicked off his testimony with an apology to "the loved ones of the victims of 9/11....your government failed you. Those entrusted with protecting you failed you and I failed you." His statement should have more truthfully been "to the loved ones of the victims of 9/11...the Clinton administration failed you. Prior to the slaughter of your loved ones on 9/11 by Islamic terrorists, Bill Clinton turned down the direct handover of Osama Bin Laden on numerous occasions. The Clinton administration refused to allow the CIA to kill Bin Laden, with only capture as the stated policy. Those entrusted with protecting you, including myself, were abject failures who viewed terrorism as a law enforcement problem. And don't forget to buy my book."

Well ... let's get to the rest of Clarke's testimony. We can basically wrap it up this way. Clarke told the commission, as he told America in his book, that the Bush administration did virtually nothing to address the threat of Al Qaeda until the attacks of 9/11. Nothing. He said that Bush was virtually unprepared to act as though it's a major problem.

Uh oh. Small problem. The White House was a few steps ahead of Clarke yesterday ... as was Fox News Channel. Jim Angle is a reporter for Fox. As the news about Clarke's book started to hit Angle remembered a briefing he received from a White House spokesman in August of 2002. That briefing was for background. That means that the seven reporters on the telephone conference call could not identify who their source was .. .only what their source said. Angle remembered that the person who delivered that briefing was ... Richard Clarke.

As luck would have it, Angle had a recording of that briefing. He listened to it and found that what Clarke was saying then was markedly different from what Clarke was saying now. So Angle went to the White House to seek permission to release a transcript of that 2002 briefing, and to identify Richard Clarke as the source. The White House, after conferring with the National Security Council, agreed.

So what did Clarke have to say in the 2002 briefing?

Let's start with a statement Clarke made to the 9/11 Commission yesterday. Clarke told the commissioners that early on in the Bush administration he told the president: " ... and I said, well, you know, we've had this strategy ready ... ahh ... since before you were inaugurated. I showed it to you. You have the paperwork. We can have a meeting on the strategy anytime you want."

So .. there's Clarke telling the media and the commissioners yesterday that he had presented paperwork to Bush on a strategy for dealing with Al Qaeda and was ready to discuss it. But what did he say to Jim Angle in 2002? This: "I think the overall point is, there was no plan on Al Qaeda that was passed from the Clinton administration to the Bush Administration."

Lying then? Or lying now?

And what about this "Bush did virtually nothing" claim?

In the 2002 background briefing Clarke said: "When President Bush told us in March to stop swatting at flies and just solve this problem, then that was the strategic direction that triggered the NSPD (National Security Presidential Directive) from one of roll back to one of elimination." "NSPD" is National Security Presidential Directive. So Clark was telling reporters in August of 2002 that the directive from the president in March of 2001 was to stop swatting at flies ... to eliminate Al Qaeda. This is what calls doing virtually nothing?

In the 2002 briefing Clarke also told Angle and the rest of the reporters that Bush had ordered an increase in CIA resources by five times .. .including funding for covert actions against Al Qaeda. Again ... doing virtually nothing?

Here's the kicker. It comes from the transcript of the 2002 Clarke briefing ... near the end.

Jim Angle: "So, just to finish up if we could then, so what you're saying is that there was no -- one, there was no plan; two, there was no delay; and that actually the first changes since October of '98 were made in the months just after the administration came into office?

Richard Clarke: "You got it. That's right.

So .. while the terrorist threat was increasing Clinton made no changes in his plan of action against terrorism during the last two years of his presidency, but Bush got on the stick immediately. That is what Clarke is now describing as "doing virtually nothing."

Obviously Clarke is lying. We just have to figure out which statements are the lies? Was he lying in 2002 when he was working in the Bush White House? Or is he lying now when he's trying to sell a book?
Old March 25, 2004, 10:53   #168
MrFun
Emperor

Yesterday when Clarke testified before the committee, he made an apology to the 9/11 families of the victims, and in that apology, he included himself as one of the people responsible for the failure to prevent such a tragedy.
Old March 25, 2004, 10:54   #169
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:31

The funny thing is that the commission did ask Clarcke about that interview-his answer?

I was working for the admin. when you work for an administration, you do not criticize them.

And that is correct-unless you want to get fired, if you work for a politican, you do NOT skewer his ass in front of reporters. Is this a lie? Probalby-one every person who works in politics is guilty of. Just ask Colin.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old March 25, 2004, 11:47   #170
Caligastia
Emperor

Either way he's a liar. You're just choosing what you want to believe.
Old March 25, 2004, 11:53   #171
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caligastia
Either way he's a liar. You're just choosing what you want to believe.
So are you-so is everyone who has EVER told ANY lie-unless you want to claim know you never lie in any way.

NOW, knowing you have lied, knowing mr. Boortz has lied, knowing everyone over 2 has lied, why should I ever believe anything anyone has ever said, save perhaps someone's first words?

It's called context. If you hold a policy decision for a politician, your job is to sell the admin. the pol., the policies. You do NOT evicirate them in public to reporters.
Old March 25, 2004, 11:56   #172
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Contraversy also serves to sell books.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old March 25, 2004, 11:57   #173
chequita guevara
Emperor

That boortz piece is worthless. Any article that repeats the repeatedly disproven lie that Clinton was offered bin Laden isn't worth the photons being emited by the screen. If they get something as basic as that incorect, they are either incompetent or liars. Either way, the article is worthless.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old March 25, 2004, 11:58   #174
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I think it time to follow the money trail wrt Clarke.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 25, 2004, 11:59   #175
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Che,

There were a few other points in said worthless article you choose to ignore.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old March 25, 2004, 12:05   #176
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Che,

There were a few other points in said worthless article you choose to ignore.
The article discredied itself immediately. How can I trust anything in it?
Old March 25, 2004, 12:06   #177
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Contraversy also serves to sell books.
Wow, what shocking news....

And controversy helps to sell movies...

and fear of terrorist helps elect people who call themselves 'tough on terror'....
Old March 25, 2004, 12:08   #178
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

Wow, what shocking news....
This shocking news is what people in this thread seem to dismiss when dealing with people promoting books.
Old March 25, 2004, 12:12   #179
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
This shocking news is what people in this thread seem to dismiss when dealing with people promoting books.
And your point is?

The right has gone after clarcke witha vengence- I fouond his testimony in front of the commission very effective in telling off most of those channels of attack.

He came right out and said he finds the president's Iraq policy to have undermined the war on terror-if right-wingers want to keep attacking him, he gave testimony under oath-you can try to charge him with perjury and take it to court and have a jury decide it..

But i doubt the right wants to try it-most likely they ouyld fail, and then Clarcke could point to a court ruling saying what he said in front of the commission was true, and then what could the character assasins do?
Old March 25, 2004, 12:13   #180
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara

The article discredied itself immediately. How can I trust anything in it?
Perhaps because they were quotes and transcripts proven by other public sources?