Old May 17, 2004, 06:26   #61
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Local Time: 12:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Heres the latest version.

Make a copy of your whole SMAC directory and place both the Alpha and the 7 updated factions in it to overwrite the originals. Then create a second (or third or forth) desktop shortcut to load up the Mod.

Graphics have not been included yet as I am still working on them. Their is also a Description file that explians nearly all the changes made (I might have missed some). Please give my your feedback on how the games core strategies are changed and if you can find a way to break the game.
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old May 17, 2004, 06:31   #62
Impaler[WrG]
Civilization IV CreatorsACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 MorganPolyCast Team
King

Here is the Zip
Attached Files:
File Type: zip impacxmod2.zip (39.8 KB, 5 views)
Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche
Old May 18, 2004, 04:12   #63
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Local Time: 18:33
I found a variety of errors and unintended consequences in Impaler's factions files. I edited them to conform to the limitations of the game, and his stated intent.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip impacx_mod_fixed.zip (33.1 KB, 4 views)
Old May 18, 2004, 04:41   #64
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 21:33
What sort of inconcistencies are you referring to?

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old May 18, 2004, 14:00   #65
Chaos Theory
Alpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Gaians
Emperor

Factions with special abilities automatically given to units usually gave the wrong special ability
Some factions had more than 8 "faction" modifications - the excess were ignored. I deleted the least significant.
Miriam did not have free rec commons, as stated in the intended changes
And anything else I noticed that seemed to conflict with the text and intent of Impaler's stated changes.
Old May 18, 2004, 14:04   #66
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

It's better NOT to give more then one free ability to factions, otherwise no two new ones can be given in the course of a game. And AFAIK the alg. enhancement and marine detachment ability are mixed up in the game.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old May 18, 2004, 19:29   #67
Chaos Theory
Emperor

No faction has more than one free ability, however I never noticed free abilities interfering with normal unit design. For example, as the Pirates, I believe I could design a ship with deep radar and AAA, even though it also has the free ability Marine Detachment.

How are alg enhancement and marine detachment mixed up?
Old May 19, 2004, 03:28   #68
GeoModder
Deity

It's only when a unit has two free abilities that only one extra one will be recognized by the game. The second extra will show in the workshop, but won't be implemented. The Marine and Algorithmic mixup is that those two take eachothers slots in the abilitity 'queu'. It's no big deal, if ie. Algorithmic should logically be placed on number 26 in the ability queu, in reality it has ie. 14.
(Don't know the slots out of my head, just an example here).
It's only important when you customize your faction in notepad instead of the faction editor.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old May 19, 2004, 12:34   #69
Impaler[WrG]
King

Interesting I had never head that your couldnt use more then one FreeAbility per faction.

I guess that kills the idea I was toying with of giving the Spartans free High Morale in addition to the "Shock Tactic" (Shock Tactics is just Sporosific Gass renamed and moved to Adaptive Doctorine). The idea with the Spartans to is give them series of esentialy free Upgrades to their units as the game progresses. They initialy get Free Comand Centers which help to offset their Industry hit, their base Morale is droped 1 level to balance. Later in the game the Shock Tactics get added to all their future designs and they cause a -25% morale in anyone they attack (Sporosific Gass works only on offence right?). By giving an initial and then a later bost to Spartan combat they should remain a viable attacker even when a bit behind in the Mid game.
Old May 19, 2004, 14:54   #70
GeoModder
Deity

Impaler, you can use more then one FreeAbility per faction, but ingame then less abilities can be implemented, that's the catch.

But one need to be carefull with this. Suppose a faction acquires the CBA later in a game, then some ability won't be usable anymore, and no way to say which one will be disregarded...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old May 19, 2004, 15:30   #71
Impaler[WrG]
King

How would the CBA effect Unit Special Abilites, it dosent grant any (no Secret Project gives a Special Ability as far as I know).

So far plans are for just one Free Special Ability per faction.
Old May 19, 2004, 19:33   #72
GeoModder
Deity

CBA gives NanoCells to aircraft.
The +2 movement doesn't come out of the blue, you know. Otherwise it would be possible to put Nanocells a second time on your aircraft.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old May 19, 2004, 19:44   #73
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GeoModder
CBA gives NanoCells to aircraft.
Are you sure about that? Fuel nanocells become available after discovery of Matter Compression, 3 tech levels later.

And the Datalinks say only that the CBA gives an aersopace in each base - nothing about increased range.

G,
Old May 19, 2004, 20:04   #74
GeoModder
Deity

Um, Googlie, check the current DG. Hive aircraft have a range of 12, Cycon and Drone aircraft only 10. Hive has the CBA.

Besides, if it is possible to give a free ability upon discovery of a certain tech, why wouldn't it be possible to give a free ability upon a certain project/facility? It's a matter of programming.

I know for sure that when I tried out a faction with two free abilities and gave the CBA to that same faction that suddenly one of the abilities wouldn't work anymore. This is a clear indication that the +2 aircraft range from the CBA is not something on itself, but rather a free ability given sooner then techwise possible.

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old May 19, 2004, 21:10   #75
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

You're right. I opened up a scenario and disabled the CBA, and the movement points for aircraft listed in that base immediately dropped by 2.

I think now that I did read some old posts when smax first came out. It's undocumented both in the guide and the datalinks (nor is it in the readme.txt file)

All the more reason for disabling the CBA or dropping it significantly in the tech tree to a level 9 or 10 tech equivalent

G.

Last edited by Googlie; May 19, 2004 at 22:59.
Old May 20, 2004, 05:22   #76
Impaler[WrG]
King

I think the CBA just gives +2 movment the same way the Maritime Control Center gives +2 movment, it dosent mean that the Ships have NanoFuelCells (they dont even exist in SMAC).

To test it see if a Fusion AirCraft owned by the player with the CBA can be given NanoFuel Cells or if Fusion Aircraft are getting more then +2 movment which would indicate they are infact getting Nanofuel cells rather then a flat +2 movment.

I would also like to see if the +2 movment getts added to predesigned air units both with and without NanoFuel cells.