Old March 22, 2004, 14:30   #1
wgabrie
Prince

Local Time: 15:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Drone riot transfers in Multiplayer
I'm in a multiplayer game and this turn I ended up with one of the human player's bases. It was transfered to me via drone riots. Now what I want to know is does the game automatically place you in vendetta with the other player when this happens or did the human try to sidestep diplomacy and retake the base on his own?

I'm trying to figure out if I should gift it back, because of accident, or go play with him if it wasn't.

A quick reply would be very helpful.
Old March 22, 2004, 14:39   #2
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Local Time: 21:34
No, those drones 'choose' your enlightned faction as their new government.

No automatic vendetta with that player should happen. Besides, you could see that in your datalinks if you had automatic vendetta or not.

Off course, It can be that that player demands it back by outgame channels...

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 22, 2004, 15:34   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Beware of a probe rape! Apparently some people let a base riot to another faction, so that they can then infiltrate datalinks and steal techs. I think the common opinion is though that such a tactic is "not done", as it's somewhat exploiting a feature of the game, and because one can't decide whether or not to accept a revolting base.
Old March 22, 2004, 17:10   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 19:34
That is SOOO evil.

/me takes notes *

Anyone want to start an new PBEM?

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old March 22, 2004, 18:01   #5
GeoModder
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Data AngelsC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4WDG The Goonies
Deity

Try joining the 'naval clash' one...

PK, DeeDee and Hive are AI ATM, contact Mart7x5 and the thread for participation (mostly newcomers, me included)

SMAC(X) Marsscenario
Old March 23, 2004, 10:21   #6
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 13:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Beware of a probe rape! Apparently some people let a base riot to another faction, so that they can then infiltrate datalinks and steal techs. I think the common opinion is though that such a tactic is "not done", as it's somewhat exploiting a feature of the game, and because one can't decide whether or not to accept a revolting base.

While I haven't seen this make the stated rules of any games yet, a thread on this topic at CGN came to the conclusion that intentionally allowing a base to riot to proberape it was NOT a fair thing to do because anyone can do it and your opponent has no possible defense against the tactic.

Some players proposed some ideas like a player not be permitted to probe a base they lost to riots for a number of years. This could allow the opponent to diband it or perhaps give it away to some harmless AI.

Again I haven't seen this make a ruleset but if this tactic were allowed, no tech lead would ever be safe and probe defending bases would be pretty futile.

Note that you have no guarantee as to who your base will join with the riot tactic although a large and prosperous faction seems most likely in my limited experiene seeing riots
Old March 23, 2004, 20:25   #7
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

AS an aside, I decided to try allowing a base to riot in a single player game. It rioted for something like 15 years without ever joining anyone else. I was trying to see if I could have a bit of SP fun as the Angels by continually rioting a base or two to see if it would join different factions and then I could proberape the base before buying it back . .. But the fact that the base would not leave my faction even ONCE killed this as an idea for a little fun .. .

Does a base have to be a certain size to change factions?? My designated rioter was an empty size 2 with no facilities
Old March 23, 2004, 23:31   #8
wgabrie
Prince

Local Time: 15:34
The base I got was size two with one worker and one drone. The human player left the base in drone riots when he rushed a rec commons. It didn't work out too well.

Of course I investigated the last turn and found out he destroyed the token former that I got with the base. So, now we play!
Old March 24, 2004, 15:01   #9
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber
AS an aside, I decided to try allowing a base to riot in a single player game. It rioted for something like 15 years without ever joining anyone else. I was trying to see if I could have a bit of SP fun as the Angels by continually rioting a base or two to see if it would join different factions and then I could proberape the base before buying it back . .. But the fact that the base would not leave my faction even ONCE killed this as an idea for a little fun .. .

Does a base have to be a certain size to change factions?? My designated rioter was an empty size 2 with no facilities
There are riots in SP. I just know that base has to have all of its citizens drones and that it can have facilities.
Old March 24, 2004, 15:54   #10
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by obstructor

There are riots in SP. I just know that base has to have all of its citizens drones and that it can have facilities.
I never doubted that a base riots but in this one attempt, it never went over to any other faction. I had met two factions and was at war with one and a treaty with the other. I played as the Angels up to about 2170 and had a no facilities size 2 rioting EVERY turn for at least 15 years. The factions I had met were the gaians and PKs.

I began to wonder if there might be a date trigger . .. like maybe a base can't go to another faction before a specific year. I also have recollections of bases defecting in SP but I'm sort of at a loss to explain why a base would not defect after long and continuous riots
Old March 25, 2004, 15:42   #11
Illuminatus
staff
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization IV CreatorsACDG3 CMNsACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansC4WDG Team ApolytonAge of Nations TeamACDG3 Gaians
Provost

It has to have all of its citizens shown as drones, or riot is useless (quite easy if you are in FM an go pod popping with Punishment Spheres ) and I think that maybe one of drones, or all of them have to be superdrones. I am not sure since it was a while from the last time it happened me in SP.
Old March 25, 2004, 16:34   #12
Flubber
Deity

ahh -- that makes sense. In my test I had 2 drones and no other citizens but neither of them was a super drone-- I guess I should just go FM with a troop outside of home territory and see if the transfer triggers then