Old March 22, 2004, 16:53   #1
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The Cost of Keeping Coal Plants
Note: the following is based on my experience in C3C (specifically, under the 1.12 and 1.15 beta patches). I haven't verified whether it works the same way in earlier versions.

I often build at least a few coal plants even when I expect to build the Hoover Dam later on the same continent. I'm especially likely to build coal plants in wonder cities, and I sometimes also build them in other places where I expect them to add enough production before Hoover is complete to be worth building. And for a long time, I just left those coal plants lying around after the Hoover Dam was finished.

But recently, I realized something: those coal plants that are sitting around being redundent cost three gold per turn each to maintain. Multiply that by a few plants and the drain on the economy can be big enough to make a difference.

For players who don't expect to get Recycling, unless there is a meaningful risk that the Hoover Dam city might be captured or destroyed at some point, it makes sense to go ahead and sell any coal plants that have been built on the same continent as soon as the Hoover Dam is complete. For those who do expect to get Recycling at some point, it may make more sense to keep the coal plant around in order to get shields as well as gold from selling it, but going ahead and selling the coal plant immediately may make more sense if there is a short-term cash crunch.

I've also thought of another trick regarding power plants that could be used, although I don't think I've used it myself yet. Since one power plant replaces another so you never have two at the same time (aside from the virtual power plants from Hoover), it may be profitable to sell a power plant the turn before its replacement is finished if doing without a power plant for a turn won't slow down the new one. That could be good for a few extra gold. (And with Recycling, the shields from selling the old plant will actually be more than the plant would have added to the city's production. Thus, under some circumstances, selling the old plant could actually shave a turn off the production of its replacement.)

Nathan
nbarclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2004, 20:12   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:34
Yup. If I capture a city with a coal plant it is the first thing I sell.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2004, 22:22   #3
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I routinely build 3 or 4 coal plants as soon as I get Industrialisation (after finishing the Factory pre-builds). Depending on how much RR'ing you've done by then, you can often build the coal plant in 4 - 6 turns. This usually sets me up pretty well for ToE and Hoovers. The lack of a pre-build for ToE is roughly made up by the 100% production boost of Factory + plant.

Once I get Hoovers I usually sell the plants immediately - more to reduce maintenance cost and pollution than through a desire to raise money.

Once in the Modern age I will often build a couple of Nuclear plants for the expensive SS parts, or to crank out faster military units if going for Conquest/Domination.
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2004, 22:29   #4
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 3, 2010
DP

Last edited by Aqualung71; March 23, 2004 at 06:20.
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2004, 22:59   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 12:34
Re: The Cost of Keeping Coal Plants
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
But recently, I realized something: those coal plants that are sitting around being redundent cost three gold per turn each to maintain. Multiply that by a few plants and the drain on the economy can be big enough to make a difference.
Coal plants continue to generate pollution too, even after the city in question enjoys the benefits of the Hoover Dam effects. After Hoover Dam, coal plants add pollution and maintenance costs, and repesent 40 gold just waiting to be harvested by selling off the plant, and in the meantime provide no benefits (except as an "insurance policy" against losing the Hoover city).

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 01:07   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

When was the last time anyone lost the Hoover city in an SP game? I suspect it is not enough to warrant any insurance. Sell the plant.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 20:05   #7
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 20:34
Pollution is the key here.........you should always sell for that reason. 3gpt per plant late in the game is only really a nice bonus.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2004, 20:42   #8
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Required reading for this subject:

Power Plants: Everything you wanted to know but were afraid to ask, by Catt.

(Catt posted the same article here on 'poly, but I can't find it)
alexman is offline   Reply With Quote