Old October 4, 1998, 15:39   #1
Mentat
Prince

Local Time: 07:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
STNG:Birth of the Federation
What do people think of Microprose's "Star Trek: Birth of the Federation"?
Old October 4, 1998, 22:05   #2
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 08:03
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
I think that any diehard "Star Trek" fan will kill to get it but as for less then obsessed fans(like me) and ordinary gamers, we will have to see if it is a good game first. "Birth of the Federation"... that's going to be a big job trying to put fourty years, three spinoffs, and three centuries of plot in one game.
Old December 22, 1998, 12:41   #3
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
OK well speaking as any die hard startrek fan I say have you ever heard of Starwars Supremacy / ( or the american title which I can't remember ( OTAWICR ) ) or Master of Orion ( 1 2 help me here ) because as I understand from all the reviews I've read it is pretty much like them but with more races then SW : S but speaking as me I say BUY BUY BUY. ( PS the races are Federation, Romulan, Klingon, Cardassian and Ferengi.
Old December 22, 1998, 17:13   #4
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 09:03
I'm not a startek diehard, but I expect alot of BOTF.
There are interesting features like the 'real' starships and the large number of minor races outside of the 5 major races.
since there are only 5 races, I believe it will not be so easy for a race to dominate the rest (AI or human) or it probably also will be possible to return from a losing position, otherwise this could turn into a boring game.

Old December 27, 1998, 11:19   #5
fred
Prince

The game seems fairly decant but I'm not sure about it. The map looks a little cheesy and I'm not sure how a 3D battle is supposed to work. Also if every time you fight you have to use the 3D battle thing it will take a long time to finish the game.
Old December 27, 1998, 12:53   #6
Colon™
Emperor

I mostly am interested in the diplomacy part, there are many minor races, how is the communication with them foing to work. How will they infuence the game ? Will they bejust something to be conquered or do you have to watch out for them too.
I also wander how the power between mayor races will be balanced.
There are only 5 of them, that means that it's quite easy for 1 race to become the supreme power. An allaince between 2 races immediatly means a very powerful block.
And will it be possible for a race that falls behind to catch up again ? In civ2 that rarely happened, and in BotF that might become very annoying or even destructive for the game.

Old December 31, 1998, 21:13   #7
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 03:03
I've been following the development of BotF for quite awhile. It will be an outstanding game. Now, for all available information go to www.botf.com

It is a fan site, that up to date with all the new info. There is also a messageboard, if you have any questions.

The way the major races are balanced, using their inherent ability will be helpful. For example, the Romulans are traditionally isolationists, so while using the cloaking device, it is in your best interest to not make diplomatic contact with other Great Powers; you can go through other's territory, while using the cloaking device, without causing a war (only if you aren't involved diplomatically).

Another interesting feature, is the ability to have border skirmishes, without it leading to all out war.
Old January 1, 1999, 18:34   #8
Colon™
Emperor

IMO, it will all depend on how MPS can balance the strenght and weaknesses of countries and preventing to become one race too powerful or too weak.
If they can it probably will become a great game.
Old January 19, 1999, 02:53   #9
Drakenred
Warlord

Heck if all they did was update the Moo2 AI,create Generic and race-specific teck trees,beef up the Diplomacy options,and sub out grafics and art derived from ST:TNG/DS9/Voager then they would STILL have a great game