Old June 1, 1999, 01:01   #1
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SMAC, CTP and Civ III...
Well, Dan suggested a very interesting topic to this forum: "SMAC and CTP: a fair comparison?". But, since I have not played CTP yet, I cannot judge it; therefore, I cannot compare it to SMAC.
But I would like to know what you people out there think about the announcement that Sid Meier will be making Civ III; how can this announcement affect both SMAC and CTP?
Brian Reynolds said that both Civ III and SMAC will be part of a "Sweep of Time" trilogy. I think it was an effort to keep SMAC shining in our minds, since Civ III has so much bright now that we will need sunglasses very soon...
And CTP, well... seems to me like it will be buried somewhere. Maybe in 5 or 6 years we will say in a casual conversation about Civ-games: hmm... seems there was an attempt to release a Civ successor years ago, but it failed....
So, what do you people think?

Alexnm
Old June 1, 1999, 19:44   #2
scipio
Warlord

Local Time: 07:05
I don't think so, I love CTP. Of course, my favorite part of the civ series is the rewriting of history.
Old June 1, 1999, 23:36   #3
Alex
Emperor

Fair enough. But what if Civ III turn out to be a revitalization of Civ II, adding to it all the improvements made by CTP -- such as public works and improved graphics -- plus some improvements taken from SMAC -- such as borders and unit design? I think that if Sid Meier -- or Brian Reynolds -- can mix all these strong points in a refreshing way, we can say goodbye to CTP. Of course, Civ III will have to reinforce the amazing gameplay that Civ II featured. If it cannot do it, it will be just another poor attempt to bring Civ II to the new millenium.

Alexnm
Old June 11, 1999, 15:44   #4
TNapoleon
King

Alex, CTP will arrive here in some 2 or 3 weeks (late June), in Portuguese
Old June 12, 1999, 00:48   #5
Alex
Emperor

Thanks for the info, TNapoleon. It seems that I will finally be able to judge it. Let's see...
Old June 12, 1999, 11:48   #6
My Wife Hates CIV
Civilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:05
CTP is just civ. Civ II is already a great game. I didnt want to 'relearn' all the units and techs AND graphics. I didnt like them. Whats wrong with civ II graphics??

I like civ II so much because I know how to play it, I'm already good at it. I've wasted so much time. Why can't Civ III add on the Civ II. maybe it's just me.

I have both ctp and smac. I dont even have them installed anymore. I did like some of the features in smac (the better of the two). I wish civ II had some of those features.
Old June 15, 1999, 19:33   #7
don Don

Haven't played SMAC for almost 2 months, and have no enthusiasm to change that trend. But I haven't uninstalled it… maybe that's just because I still have 4 gigs of disk space available.

Just got CTP for birthday (36 this weekend). The jury will deliberate for some time, I expect.

------------------
*a friendly note from your favorite heretic