Old April 1, 2000, 19:36   #1
klesh
King

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
RainbowSix: Rogue Spear
Just bought this without playing the previous versions... I think this is a very solid game. Made it to level 4 on the first couple of games, but most of my team is dead. I'll have to start a new campaign. Anybody play this online?
Old April 2, 2000, 15:43   #2
klesh
King

Ok, a few questions...
at this airplane level, which assault team do you choose? If I go with gold team, the blue team ends up getting a hostage killed. Vice versa for the blue team. I've tried hopschotching the teams through the plane, but when I leave one team on hold, a terrorist walks up and gets 'em. I've tried sniping the terrorist at the front door of the plane and rescuing the hostage with the Green team.
BTW- I haven't started to customise each waypoint yet. I customize the uniforms, weapons, and movement styles...but not individual waypoints. Are the HQ's plans any good?
That level in Kosovo, with the rain...Oh my good was that good! Simmilar to Medal of Honor for Playstation/Syphon Filter as well. Real hard game though...
I just read in another thread about some weapons downloads? Where can I find 'em? And perhaps a quick "how to" install 'em.

C'mon guys, I know there are some RS fans out there...
*hears own echo...echo...echo*
Old April 2, 2000, 17:21   #3
Jaakko
King

Local Time: 09:08
Definitely make your own plans. The pre-generated ones are unnecessarily complex and don't take into account the AI's stupidity.
It'll take a while to get used to, but a good custom plan is necessary for completing some of the more difficult missions. Just wait until you see the opera house...

As for weapon mods, The Gamers Net had an article on them a while back.
I think it's still there.
If you can wait for a while, NATO mod v.3 by ARMM is coming out soon, and it will have every weapon you ever wished for (and more).

edit: Here's a direct link to the TGN RS mod article
http://www.thegamers.net/articlearch...mods/index.asp

[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited April 02, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited April 02, 2000).]
Old April 3, 2000, 00:45   #4
klesh
King

You gotta be kidding me... nobody!?!

I thought this was a pretty popular game. I think it's that this isn't a popular forum section. Well, I'm trying to assault the airplane in Belgium...fun indeed.

Hey MWHC, didn't I see you post a level plan one time for this game?
Old April 4, 2000, 11:27   #5
klesh
King

Hey Jakko, thanks for the words on HQ's plans. I too find them a bit complecated.
After many many attempts and several deceased hostages, I've managed to beat the airplane level. The next one is straight up stealth, again the HQ's plan is making me be seen be the guardsmen. I'll have to see about changing it up.

I can't believe that there aren't more people posting about this game!?! C'mon people!
Old April 6, 2000, 06:13   #6
Jaakko
King

I never had any luck with those stealth missions. If you're playig on medium or hard difficulty, there's so many guards that you're almost certainly seen.
It reminds me of Metal Gear Solid without all those nifty commands.
I must confess that I used cheat codes to pass...

Anyway, be sure to try multiplayer, with good teams it's great.
Old April 6, 2000, 14:00   #7
klesh
King

I'd hook up some MP, but i want to polish up my skills before I take join a team.

------------------
I am the Ukrainian Anti-Pope!
Old April 6, 2000, 14:15   #8
Jaakko
King

For good skills, always play without auto-aim. Once you get accustomed to it, manual aiming is faster.

While on the subject of MP, RS is probably the only game where you actually panic when someone starts shooting at you.
It really gets your blood pumping when you bullets start hitting the wall behind you, and you reply with a hasty burst before running behind a desk, frantically trying to change a new magazine...

Damn, I'm getting worked up again...
Old April 6, 2000, 20:22   #9
klesh
King

You've managed to bescribe my origin feelings whilst playing this game for the first time... The AI guys are good at killing ya from hidden positions, I can only imagine how good other players would be.
Which site for MP do you like better? I think it is available at the zone, and mplayer as well.

------------------
Old April 9, 2000, 15:09   #10
klesh
King

I am a bit dissapointed that one cannot turn off (or better yet shoot out), the lights in levels. One gets a nice advantage being that one always gets a set of nightvision gogles. So there is a big advantage in being able to take out the lighting in a room, or hall, or in outside/spotlight levels...

------------------
[This message has been edited by Field Marshal Klesh (edited April 09, 2000).]
Old April 9, 2000, 15:27   #11
Jaakko
King

Uh oh, I forgot to reply earlier...

Anyway, I have a crappy modem connection, so I play over LAN with a bunch of friends, but if I ever do play it on the net, I'll probably use Gamespy to find some Finnish servers.
No hope trying to play overseas...

I agree with the lights, destructible environment is a feature IMO long overlooked by games designers.
It would be so cool to shoot people through walls with the Barrett .50 Cal, or to wreck someone's furniture with SPAS-12 on full auto.
I want more destruction!

--cue foaming at the mouth--

[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited April 09, 2000).]
Old April 11, 2000, 13:41   #12
klesh
King

Jaakko,
How long do you spend setting up the plans? To make ones as advanced as the HQ's it would take forever. Do you have your guys breach doors on a go command? Or do you just Blitz your wat through, shooting all that is in the way. The latter tends to get hostages killed off pretty quickly!

------------------
Old April 11, 2000, 16:26   #13
Jaakko
King

A plan usually takes me around 20 minutes to make.
After an acceptable one is ready, I start playing the mission, always with one team (I make one route for myself, and more detailed ones for the AI teams). If I keep failing, I review the mission to find where things went wrong, then I alter the plan accordingly.

This is how I make the plans:

First, look at the map carefully, try to find all the access points to the hostages, especially the ones containing tangos. After that, take the teams (I usually have only 2, plus maybe a sniper team) and plot routes that take out all the threats from these access points.
Then establish a perimeter around the main hostage holding area (if there are several, you can take them out one at a time, just make sure no tangoes escape to tell the others), using the go-codes.
The final assault should be as fast and coordinated as possible, so make sure that the teams have a clear, preferably also wide route of attack.
Also try to attack from multiple directions at once, but not from opposite positions (especially if you're using FMJs ).

It's usually not worth it to start moving the hostages, just let the AI guard them while you take down the survivors (with some exceptions, like Kosovo and the airplane).
Old April 13, 2000, 08:28   #14
Jaakko
King

Just FYI, the ARMM home page has changed to armm.rainbowsix.net

Also, RS: Urban Operations should be out any time now. They say it's good.
[This message has been edited by Jaakko (edited April 13, 2000).]