Old August 12, 2000, 05:37   #1
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 09:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Help with Wooden Ships and Iron Men...
I recently bought Wooden Ships and Iron Men. Having problems installing the "digital sound". No biggie if I could continue the installation and play without the sound, but no...

First I try the "detect sound card automatically" and get an error message (not found).

I then try the manual way and get a pop up window telling me to choose between three alternatives. I take "Microsoft or 100% compatible", the others are Ensonique (?) and something else. Get the same error message.

It's an old game and my machine is a Pentium III 550 Mhz with 128 MB RAM and a Soundblaster 128. The installation interface looks like MS-DOS.

What do I do?

Carolus
Old August 13, 2000, 19:05   #2
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I guess this is not much help but I have found that these old DOS games can sometimes be fooled by tampering with the .cfg (or some similar extension configuration file in the base directory for the game - my copy of WS & IM is a board game, but I do have rather a nice PC version called Age of Sail which I thought was probably an electronic version of WSIM - you might look for this as it is fully Windows compatible

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor