Old August 17, 2000, 07:39   #1
Mad Lord Snapcase

SkyRoads
Yes, that's right, the most addictive dexterity game ever. I just love it. I used to play the shareware version to death, but then yesterday I discovered that it had been released as freeware (together with an equally big level pack). Hooray! I downloaded it straight away (from The Official Site). If you've played the demo before, try the full game and the christmas version. It's great fun. If you've never played it before, you're in for one of the most addictive, fun and challenging games there is. It's unique in the simple controls, the unlimited tries and the strange "just one more attempt" factor (similar to the Civ one-more-turn factor).

Try it and tell me what you think!

Old August 18, 2000, 16:14   #2
The Call of Snapcase

I'm sorry, I simply have to bump this, if only to see what the location field of my old user name will be in a thread with two posts in it.

Old August 18, 2000, 17:00   #3
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 10:12
Local Date: October 31, 2010
OK, so here goes. My SkyRoads history.

First, the ol' 386. Played the demo, played the demo, then moved on to UFO : enemy unknown. Wasn't really interested then.

Alas, time makes memories golden: A few months ago, I found the full version of SkyRoads from a local library's computer(I love the Finnish way of keeping security... let everybody do what they want !), and, or course, E-mailed it to myself. Quess what did I do home. Played. I can't exactly remember how far did I get, but I played, and much. Now there are only three roads I haven't been able to get through: Earth 3(Drat! I don't like doing super-accurate movements 50 times in a row!), Druidia 2(Really really it's just impossible to have the right speed in the right place. Or be in the right place heading right way anyway) and... Druidia 3(Again super-accurate jumps I don't know how many times in a row...). I have got through every other road. And what do I think of the game? A good arcade game to play when you want to play a good arcade game, or are in a need of ultimate challenge of accuracy. Recommended? Yes, even though this yes is not an all-powerful one, compared to e.g. MoM.
Old August 19, 2000, 00:28   #4
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
I just downloaded it and it's pretty AWESOME. I got through the first 3 levels and 1 track in the 4th and 5th levels.

Not too bad I guess.

------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
Administrator of the CornEmpire Forum
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old August 19, 2000, 07:36   #5
The Call of Snapcase

LE: Try the "Christmas edition". It's more of the same, another thirty tracks. Higher difficulty level too.

Old August 22, 2000, 09:18   #6
The Call of Snapcase

Aaargh! If anyone has any idea about what to do on The Eve 1 in the christmas edition, please tell me! How do you cope with that oxygen depletion rate?

Old August 22, 2000, 17:49   #7
CornMaster
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by The Call of Snapcase on 08-22-2000 09:18 AM
Aaargh! If anyone has any idea about what to do on The Eve 1 in the christmas edition, please tell me! How do you cope with that oxygen depletion rate?

If it's the level I think your talking you have to jump over the middle barrier onto each Blue Refuling block.

I've only got about 3 or 4 blue blocks down. But I think that's how you do it.

------------------
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old August 29, 2000, 09:32   #8
Andz83

talking about the full, non-xmas version...

I finished EVERY track EXCPET FOR:

1. the last track of the second last block (Earth)

2. the very last track (last of Druidia I think)

how can I manage these? I think #1 is the one with the oxygene-jump-crap-mother**** problem. but #2 is REALLY hard

Old August 29, 2000, 14:45   #9
The Call of Snapcase

Nope, not that level. This is a similar (stranger) X-mas edition level.

Old August 30, 2000, 10:29   #10
Andz83

I downloaded the XMAS version, but haven't yet played it...

has anyone already managed the last tracks of the two last stages (Earth and Druidia, I think)?

Can I help anyone with any track in the standard version?

Old September 7, 2000, 07:07   #11
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:12
I Love this game, although I play civ a lot more. My kids play this anytime they want a quick arcade rush. My 6 year old daughter is the wizard, even though she looks to me for strategy tips sometimes. I remember the first time I did one of the hard levels (no, not the final earth or druidia ones, we still haven't beaten those) and my kids were standing around cheering.
The one I can't seem to even have hope on is the one where your oxygen runs out in about 5 seconds. my reflexes just aren't that fast.
big level pack? even for those who have the full version of skyroads and xmas?
Old September 7, 2000, 09:13   #12
CornMaster
Prince

Yesterday I finally finished Satallite 3, Crab Nebula 1, Over the Base 3 and Earth 2. I've been working them for weeks and I beat them all in one day!!!!! Only 4 left now!

------------------
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
Old September 9, 2000, 06:58   #13
Father Beast
King

Around here, skyroads is sort of a family affair. My son had declared it was impossible to get past the slippery part on asteroids 3. I beat my head in futility against that one for quite a while before I figured it out. I on the other hand, had no clue how to deal with crab nebula 1. even if you make those perfect jumps, you still can't get past that huge red section. it was my daughter, the wizard, who managed to firgure that one out and get me trying it again. I still haven't beaten that level, but I no longer think it's hopeless. None of us have yet beaten an earth or druidia level, and I hesitate to try earth 3 until I get better because it's so frustrating.
Thanks, snapcase, for turning us on to the full versions. I had the full skyroads from somebody's "creamy games" site. but I only had the demo for skyroads christmas.
man, but those christmas levels are hard.
Old September 11, 2000, 11:35   #14
The Call of Snapcase

Crab Nebula 1 shouldn't really be a problem. In fact, it's one of my favourite tracks (I like the low-gravity ones). Here's what to do. Start off by accelerating until you reach the edge of the first square, jump to the left, continue accelerating until your speedometer is approximately 3/4 filled. As soon as you reach the sticky green square, or perhaps slightly before, hit the brakes so that you have a very slow speed when you drop down between the burning and sticky squares. Once you're underneath the burning red square, accelerate to an appropriate speed of approximately 4 steps above the middle of the speedometer. At the end of the square, jump onto the raised white block to the left, let it bounce once, jump to the blue square, let it bounce once, etc. until you reach the vaguely skin-coloured square. Jump to the right, you should easily avoid the burning block. A bit before you reach the sticky green area, jump across to the right-hand side of the white block. As long as you're reasonably close to the wall when you fall down on the slippery gray area you should do okay. Go through both tunnels. after the second tunnel, jump immediately to the rightmost of the three squares, then immediately jump again to avoid the tunnel. Now comes the trickiest part of the circuit, as far as I am concerned. You need to jump much earlier than you want to in order to get onto the first while block. Timing is crucial here, as it is a very short block. Jump too early, and you crash into it's side. Jump too late (like you reflexically feel you should), and you crash into the second one. Once on top, jump again, then at the end of the square to the left. Accelerate like mad while jumping back to the right. Now you should be two simple straight jumps (at full acceleration) from completing the track. Voilà!

Old September 20, 2000, 08:06   #15
Father Beast
King

good strategy, snapcase, and my 6 year old daughter has now beaten it. I came home from work and she goes "Dad, I beat that hard one". she tackles the over the base tracks next.

I need to find out what is using the PCI sond card so Skyroads can't use it and we have to have those lame PC speaker sounds
Old September 30, 2000, 19:20   #16
Father Beast
King

My Daughter is The Wizard! (Anyone see that movie?)
She has conquered most of the Skyroads levels and is now working her way through the christmas levels.