Old October 25, 2000, 01:47   #1
Par4
King

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: October 30, 2010
How the flipping hell does this happen
I got Red Alert 2 today, looking for a *****ing fast paced RTS game for the 4 day weekend starting thursday. I load it up, the main screen lags, I start getting a bit worried. I move the resolution up to 800x600 so the units are nice but not too small. I pop open the US campaign so I don't have to be the evil guys, I like being the good guys. LAGORAMA!!!!

Now tell me this, I can play Dark Reign 2, Ground Control, Unreal tournament and the like at bigger resolutions and they don't lag a bit. Dark Reign 2 plays fine and it's pumping thousands of polys a second. How the hell does Red a ****ing lert 2 lag up.
Old October 25, 2000, 10:53   #2
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

I'm just curious, I think the minimum reqs for RA2 are PII 266, 64Mb ram. I take it your computer surpasses these reqs? Is RA2 3D? What video card do you have?

John-SJ
Old October 25, 2000, 18:30   #3
onepaul

hmmm... i've been on the RA2 boards, and the only complains so far that I've noticed (concerning hardware) is installation problems, blokes with slow boxes a are reporting no major speed problems... my copy should get here on Friday, so we should see, what is the max resolution u can play...? game is not in full 3d... but the dune game will be! did u guys see the new gamplay movie!! holy sandworms muadib!

Old October 26, 2000, 17:08   #4
Par4
King

I know the damn system reqs it surpasses them, just not the multiplayer reqs. It's gotten faster but it still doesn't run as fast as it should. Conscripts in the 1st soviet mission run really fast so do allied GIs but in the later missions they are really slooowwww, well not realllyyyyy slooowwww but sllloooowwwweeerrrrr...

Another thing, the install is only 350 megs and I believe much of the art etc stays on the disc. Since I can't up the install if they were to change that would that improve speed?
Old October 26, 2000, 17:10   #5
Par4
King

Another thing, to play MPLayer the reqs are 450p2. You can't play Mplayer on the minimum single player, but my modems too slow any.
Old October 26, 2000, 18:04   #6
onepaul

yeah, alot of people are pissed about that 320MB max install... I figure I'm gonna copy all the CD stuff to my hard drive and simulate the CD with one of them hack programs, if that doesn't work, I might as well get a ISO file from a warez (I ALREADY BOUGHT THE GAME, so no flames)