Old November 4, 2000, 00:25   #1
Kyle
Prince

Local Time: 03:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Crimson Skies...
is the best game to frustrate the hell out of me.

I downloaded the Trial a few days ago, been replaying the two missions that came with it. The load times were long, but the game play was flawless, with most to all of the graphics setting on High.

So I went to Outpost.com and got it overnight (free) and installed. The load times, longer now and the game play stauls a bit. This is with all but one of the graphics setting put to medium and playing at 800x... resolution (rather than 1024x...).

I'm on an Athlon T-bird 900 MHz, 128 MB RAM, and a GeForce 2 with 64 MB of DDR (not to mention the ATA100 HD). There's no way in hell a person with the minimums can play this game comfortably.

It's a damn shame too, the game is quite fun with great atmosphere, voice acting, and cool looking airplanes. A lot of people are not going to be able to play it because of the drain on the system.
Old November 4, 2000, 12:39   #2
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 07:13
Yeah, the *real* memory requirements for this game are much higher than printed on the box. I had the exact same problems with 128 megs of ram, but I then upgraded to 256 mb. Once I did that, the menu system and load times fell into line.

Jeff
Old November 4, 2000, 17:14   #3
Kyle
Prince

Nice.

Add another reason to upgrade memory sooner rather than later.
Old November 5, 2000, 03:54   #4
Par4
King

Local Time: 23:13
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Evil little man you have a 100 hard drive!! I assume you have a 100 controller card too? I hope

Anyway back to crimson skies, I can't play it it's tooo slloooowwww, of course this is happening a lot on my slow little piece of crap computer. Can't wait to get my Sledgehammer™!!

Hurry AMD hurry!

If anyone here has a 350P2 with 128pc100 ram don't buy it it don't run!
Old November 6, 2000, 01:01   #5
Kyle
Prince

Oh, no. It's a 30 GB HD, with an ATA100 controller. Good 'ole IBM.

Strangly enough, I think a bit of the slowness may come from the Memturbo program running. While it loads the missions, it's eating up memory so when it jumps to the flight (especially in the Instant Action), the program is reclaiming memory. Thus slowing the system. The stauls occur mostly upon entering the missions. I'll have to try it once without MT running.

But to Zipper's credit, when exiting the program, it gives me back about 20 MB more than what the Memturbo is set for.
Old November 14, 2000, 18:01   #6
WhiteKnight
Prince

I had heard that the requirements for Crimson Skies was high, but didn't know it was this bad. I am going to have to download and check it out.
Old November 14, 2000, 19:26   #7
onepaul

well, that's the poblem Knight, the demo prolly work fine on a 486, but as soon as you load up the full game (good luck) you better have at least 256MBs of Ram sticks in your box along with a fast cpu (amd)... who say's warez is bad...? (I do)

Old November 14, 2000, 20:05   #8
Tyrant Lizard King

This is as good a place as any to ask this, "What are your favorite loadouts for the planes you use?" I'm looking for ideas to use in instant action and multiplayer.

------------------
Taqueant Colloquia Effugiat Risus Hic Locus Est Ubi Mors Gaudet Succurrere Vitae

I love the U.S.- Warning:

Old November 15, 2000, 10:39   #9
Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Believe it or not, my favorite was a balmoral bomber, max armor, as many paired 70 cals as I could fit (on that plane, a lot), and I think the wimpiest engine available because I was at the weight limit. The thing was a tank though, and murdered a) boom and zoom players and b) AI. The only thing that regularly took me out without getting a few kills first were rockets, which when I played weren't common in MP. Plus it's a interesting plane to try and dogfight in.

Jeff
Old November 19, 2000, 01:00   #10
Tyrant Lizard King

#&!! Can some kind person tell me what they did to get past the first Hollywood mission?

Old November 29, 2000, 16:33   #11
Tuna
Settler

I hate the loading times. The same goes for the Flight simulator and the CFS. I got the impression they swap in and out the whole memory 100 times before the game is up