Old September 8, 2000, 04:23   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:13
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Diablo
I got Diablo recently (cheap of course), because I heard that it bears a resemblance to an old arcade favorite - Gauntlet.
I never got far in gauntlet because I just didn't have coin. it was never for lack of interest.
so what's the deal? is it like that? I suppose I actually should install it, but I've been playing civ2.
Old September 16, 2000, 06:29   #2
Father Beast
King

Why have I not been to this forum lately, because I loaded diablo. Gak, what an addicting game!
anyway, I was wondering, is there anyplace that covers the stuff not talked about in the manual? I mean it says what a fire wall spell is, but what is a mana shield?
and are some items truly useless? I ran across the Harlquin helm, a unique item (actually, ogden gave it to me), and I couldn't see much use for it. it had an armor of 1, and reduced some stat by 5. Griswold paid out good for it, though.
Old September 16, 2000, 10:50   #3
CornMaster
Prince

Local Time: 03:43
Mana shield- When you cast it your immume too attacks until all your mana is drained. When enemies attack you you will lose mana instead of hit points. This can help if your a warrior and need a few extra seconds to fight or if your a mage and have like 300 mana and can use mana shield as well as fry your enemies with other magic.
Useless Items- Yes there are some useless items that do nothing. Mostly they are a source of income. You can sometimes sell them for a LARGE profit. But I guess you figured that out already.

Edit: AKKKKK!!! Typos!
------------------
"I'm too out of shape for a long fight so I'll have to kill you fast"
Administrator of the CornEmpire Forum
My Civ 2 Scenario Page.
[This message has been edited by CornMaster (edited September 16, 2000).]
Old September 17, 2000, 23:08   #4
Chow Yun Fat
Warlord

Local Time: 07:13
The best resource for Diablo on net, in my opinion, is: Jarulf's guide http://pf.chemeng.lth.se/diablo/

unless you are into Diablo modification. In this case
try to search for VK mod Diablo from some search engine.

Enjoy.
Old September 20, 2000, 08:01   #5
Father Beast
King

hey thanks, CYF, that is very good, what I've looked at so far. I'm going to have to print it out and read it, keep it handy.

just... What is Hellfire? is that some diablo add on pack I haven't heard about?
Old September 20, 2000, 09:01   #6
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Exactly FB - I saw it for the first time yesterday discounted to £12.99 I think in the HMV shop - I am unable to comment on whether it is any good or not - I haven't finished Diablo 1 yet and didn't buy Hellfire

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
Old September 20, 2000, 15:10   #7
The Call of Snapcase

I just bought the game on budget, I'll try it tonight or tomorrow...

Old September 28, 2000, 06:28   #8
Father Beast
King

This is one heck of a game! it seems that everyone in the family, except the almost 1 year old, has a character on this game. I have 2, having started a rogue as well as a warrior, just to try it out.
None of us have finished the game yet, I'm ahead of most with my 21st level warrior, having just cleaned out level 13 (first level of hell).
It kind of irritates me that some of the great items I get on quest aren't as useful as what I've already bought. Wirt sold me this brutal sword of speed (heavy damage, faster attack), and I find it a lot more useful than Griswolds Edge, which Gris gave me in exchange for bringing him the anvil of fury. Funny thing, selling that back to griswold would net me 159 before it was identified, and 10,500 after!
Old September 28, 2000, 11:40   #9
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 17:13
Father Beast, you should download Mame, which is an arcade emulator, and download the Gauntlet rom. You will get a kick out of it. It's just so perversly fun to play these games for free, after pumping so much coinage into them over the years. In fact, you can even get emulators for the latest fighting games. It's so pleasurable to walk through arcades and watching these chumps spend heaps of cash on what I can play for free.

Bkeela.
Old September 29, 2000, 00:01   #10
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 02:13
Why don't you get Diablo II if you like the ancient first version so much already?
Old September 29, 2000, 05:46   #11
Marcel I
Warlord

Diablo 1 is really a nice game,
I play it almost as long as it is released(96) and only recently replaced it in my drive with diablo 2 (bigger, better, faster)
With Civ2 they are my favorite games of all time.
Especially multiplayer is nice, though battlenet sucks in diablo 2 (too much lag).
Lists of all aspects of the game are available on many sites on the internet.

------------------
Adopt, Adapt and Improve
Old September 30, 2000, 19:12   #12
Father Beast
King

I am too damned cheap to buy a game until it gets to the budget rack. Why do you think I waited so long to get Diablo?
I still like to hear about them, though, and read games mags a lot (usually standing at the rack in the supermarket).
I may go over to the Diablo II thread to ask questions about what I've heard.

...Anyway, back to the game...

I have never played anything online, but am just enjoying the sp of Diablo.
I am down to level 13, and gave up my helm of stability to go back to using the undead crown. That life stealing is just so useful! I don't use healing potions near as often, and the helm of stability didn't seem to add much to my hit recovery while already wearing the empyrian band.
I found a plate mail (armor 47) down at the bottom of the caves, and started wearing that instead of my armor of the sky, since the added AC does a lot more for me than the magical enhancements. My wife thinks I am nuts for wearing a non magical item, but - what the hey!
since getting to level 13, Adria is selling me elixirs, and my dexterity is now maxed out. It gave me a use for all that money I had sitting around - I got tired of all the space it took in my inventory, and left a bunch in several piles next to the cows. Why not? nobody takes it, and I don't buy things in the dungeons.

In other news I have started a rogue character also, and is up to level 9.
Old September 30, 2000, 19:14   #13
Father Beast
King

BTW, BKeela, where do I get mame and gauntlet?
Old October 5, 2000, 21:32   #14
Father Beast
King

I finally went to the bottom and beat Diablo. I was kind of disapppointed because the game ended and I didn' get to explore all the chests and stuff in the room after killing everyone. maybe I'll go down as a REALLY tough guy and ignore the dark lord while I go around and pick up everything.
My rogue character went and fought the skeleton king recently, and I discovered I could use him for an experience machine. I cast a town portal in the center of that one big room, and let the skeleton king raise new skeletons all over the place while I immediately dispatched them with my bow. I had my belt full of potions of full healing, and never let the skeleton king get close to me. I just shot down his minions (with the odd shot or 2 for Leoric himself) and went back to town whenever my potions got low. after about 5 trips to town, I finally got tired and finished old Leoric off. I had leveled up twice and was almost ready for a third.
In other news, my wife recently had the Black mushroom quest, and ater getting the spectral elixir, she quit and came to ask me if it was any good. Now SHE CAN'T USE IT!?!?! Is there any way she can use it now?
Old October 7, 2000, 05:50   #15
Father Beast
King

I was thinking that maybe I'll need a way to keep the dark lord off my back while I plunder the level. I was thinking of getting him to follow me into one of the other areas and putting a firewall across the entrance, trapping him in there until it dies down. But I don't know if he'll just cross it or not. I can just see the game ending while I'm opening chests because Diablo stood in my firewall.
Old October 18, 2000, 07:29   #16
Father Beast
King

YAYYY! I just bought the hellfire expansion for 7$. now we can all have more fun.
I also wanted to start a single player game on nightmare using jarulf's method, but found that I had to have a multiplayer character of level 20. I started to work on building a multiplayer c. up that way, and had my first experience of trying to retrieve my corpse!
I eventually got bored and downloaded one of those hacks just to scoot my mplayer up to level 30 and I don't have to worry about it anymore. had some trouble finding one that would work with the right version.
Old December 5, 2000, 17:20   #17
Father Beast
King

Been playing Diablo on nightmare, having a lot of fun, started getting my but waxed in the caverns, and decided to start over again and build a stash of gold from stuff in the earlier levels.
In my insanity I decided I wouldn't take anything back to town until I got down to level 5, and could take the catacomb stairs.

The ridiculousness starts when I go down to Leoric's tomb, and I decide to see how much stuff I can get off him. I lured him into the central room, and then just refused to ever hit him as he raises lots of skeletons from the ground. I would just bash his minions, and pick up the stuff they drop.

Every 30 - 40 skeletons, I find myself saying "I've got to pawn some of ths stuff", and would head for the stairs back to level 3. Go over by the stairs down to level 4 and drop my load. with my backpack now empty, go back and let good old Leoric raise a few dozen more skeletons for me to bash. Rinse and repeat.

pretty soon there's no room for me to move around by the stairs, there's so much stuff on the ground. I decide to take a break from leoric and went to clear out levels 4 and 5, and stage my stuff by the stairs on level 5 going up to town.

Went and got the junk I had left sitting around on levels 1,2, and 3 while I was at it.

on my umpteenth trip to drop my stuff in this large chamber next to the stairs, I went to drop a great sword and COULDN'T DROP IT. I tried moving to an empty space. I tried dropping other stuff. I tried moving several screens away. nothing more could be dropped on the entire level until I picked something up.

It appears that there is a maximum limit to how many item can be on the ground at any given time, which I had never suspected before.

Long story short (Too Late!) I gave in and sold all my crap and finally put Leoric out of his misery.
Total haul:
70,000 gold in dropped gold.
25,000 gold from selling ordinary items
45,000 gold from selling enchanted items
about 1,800,000 experience points and went from level 28 to 29.

mybe I'll try it again on hell difficulty if I get crazy enough.
Old June 19, 2001, 11:59   #18
Father Beast
King

After AOL deleted my hard drives a while back, I lost a lot of stuff I had found on the net. I got Jarulf's Guide back (thanks Chow Yun Fat)

I can't seem to find a certain page I found hilarious. the guide to the secret cow level was this riotously funny collection of ways to get to the mythical cow level. there must have been around 20-30 of them!!

one of my favorites was this one where you kill the butcher, leave the undead crown on the ground, go down to level 4, meet Gharbad The Weak, except it says on your cursor "The Baker", leave what he drops on the ground, go see Snotspill (all 3 together for this special occaision), now called "The Candlestick Maker", and he will drop a scroll of cow portal.

there was also the one where you could get Gillian to say she, instead of her grandmother, had a dream about you. to take advantage of this, all your equipped stuff had to have the "ruby" prefix.

of course it was all a bunch of hooey, even though the page's author had claimed to have used every one of those methods. But it was a lot of fun.

and now I CAN'T FIND IT!!!

can anyone tell me where this hilarious page can be found??

Please, please, please???
Old June 22, 2001, 21:36   #19
Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
Prince

you ask, "Why should I buy diablo 2 when it is still too darned expensive?"

answer: cause its worth the money.

and also, play diablo on battle.net, it is so much funner playing with other people then alone.

I do have to agree, diablo and diablo II are the two most addicting games I have ever played, and yet if you think about it, they are the most boring, all you do is go around and kill monsters and then pick up whatever they drop...still, they are my two favorite games...of course until civ3 comes out, then the second diablo and civ3 will be my two favorite, I guess civ2 is just too horrible for me to place it on my "top games" list, if I did rank it, I would put it in...about 5th or 6th place.
Old June 25, 2001, 07:43   #20
Father Beast
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Diablo, Bro. of Mephisto
you ask, "Why should I buy diablo 2 when it is still too darned expensive?"

answer: cause its worth the money.

and also, play diablo on battle.net, it is so much funner playing with other people then alone.
Tried D2, didn't like it...

I did go on battle.net at one point. it was fun going around with a few others and killing monsters, but then one of them trapped me in a room and demanded a duel. I wasn't interested, but he wouldn't get out of the way. I had to quit the game in order to get out.

Maybe I'll try it again. I'm also thinking of taking some old computere parts and setting up a second computer right here at home, and getting a network game going. maybe my wife will be the warrior while I'll be the rogue and shoot around.
Old June 25, 2001, 07:46   #21
Father Beast
King

Now, does anyone know the website for the secret cow level? not the D2 version, but that page full of bullhooey detailing about 20 ways to get to the cow level in diablo 1.

Please?
Old July 9, 2001, 21:29   #22
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 09:13
Are you telling me that page was a hoax???

Darn! It was a good one!

I was too lazy to try but it was so much fun to think about! And the specific details he wrote in the site....

I don't quite rememebr the address though, sorry.