Old June 21, 1999, 22:15   #31
Tacitus
Settler

Local Time: 07:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I have CivI, II, and CTP yet I'm still playing CivII. CTP's interface takes some getting used to (it isn't TOO bad once you remember not to click too hastily and send your units in the wrong direction) but until it has some decent scenarios, I'll stick to my trusty II...
Old June 21, 1999, 22:33   #32
DaBods
Settler

i have civ2, ctp, smac, imperialism 2 and age of empires and the game that is still spend the most time on is civ2. it amazes me that after playing the game for 2 years i can still spend a whole day on it. i just can't get into the smac space thing as much, i can relate to a nuclear missile a lot more than a planet buster, but if it had an earth mod than i might pick smac
Old June 21, 1999, 22:35   #33
DaBods
Settler

i have civ2, ctp, smac, imperialism 2 and age of empires and the game that is still spend the most time on is civ2. it amazes me that after playing the game for 2 years i can still spend a whole day on it. i just can't get into the smac space thing as much, i can relate to a nuclear missile a lot more than a planet buster, but if it had an earth mod than i might pick smac
Old June 21, 1999, 22:35   #34
DaBods
Settler

Old June 22, 1999, 04:14   #35
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
It is very helpful indeed to be able to read the same message 3 times, Dabods!
Old June 25, 1999, 07:35   #36
Tokek Belerang
Warlord

Local Time: 08:14
[hisses to Horace] SMAC, so far. Civ2 was great, but the endless variety of games in SMAC (try using a new workshop theme each time) is brilliant.

Cheers,
Tim

------------------

Numquam turbae misceri
Old June 29, 1999, 15:51   #37
Peter Dobrovka
Chieftain

I wasted thousands of hours by playing Civ, even more thousands with Civ 2.
If the interface and the diplomacy of CTP were not so ugly it would have overpowered both. But this way it gets only the last place in my top ten.
#1 is Civ 2, there is no doubt!

Peter

------------------
3DTT - the 3D sequel to Transport Tycoon - demo 4.0 now available on http://www.digitalprojects.com/way-x
Path of Mankind. Turnbased Civ-like game - demo 15 coming soon

Old June 29, 1999, 16:23   #38
Warse
Settler

I have CTP, Civ2, Civ, and SMAC.
I have to say I were deeply dissapointed with
SMAC. The feeling just isn't there.
That thing with the different factions is bad. The believers suck and unversity rules.
And SMAC has horrible graphics. Civ looks better.
Civ2 is just an upgrade of Civ, but it's still a great game. CTP is better than Civ2, mainly because of the greatly enhanced combat system. But Civilization still is the best.
It just gives me that "just a minute more" -feeling. And it runs smooth on any PC. :-)

------------------
"All rise in the presence of Dark Helmet!"
Old July 4, 1999, 00:53   #39
ANDY~BUZZ

Civ2- was good for it's time but now it's to 0ld.
Civ1- no way
SMAC to different
C:CTP i think is most addictive and gets my vote anytime.

Old July 7, 1999, 10:18   #40
aberaud
Settler

What about Freeciv ? (www.freeciv.org)

------------------
Rather than Love, than Money and than Fame, give me Truth.
Old July 9, 1999, 00:52   #41
TNapoleon
King

Local Time: 04:14
I'm 99% sure it is dead.
Old July 9, 1999, 14:22   #42
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Colonization! was a great game, too bad the combat model was so bad. And of course the very realistic fact that taking out an opponent early tended to be a sure means for victory. And it was waaay more realistic than ImpII- you could conquer a lot like the Spanish, but you could only colonize so much, and to do it with quality meant less territory (like the English). In ImpII the entire New World is routinely colonized, conquered, controlled, and exploited by 1750.
Old July 11, 1999, 15:59   #43
inikolic
Settler

Civ2 is still the best (shame of AI)
It's a pity for CTP for such flaws so I can't call it a Civ3
SMAC is interesting but it's a "little bit" borring for my taste (civ2 is still the 'cleanest' strategy)

------------------
submitted by Vanja
Old July 11, 1999, 21:50   #44
Matthew
Prince

I have civ 2 and SMAC. I'm not sure about the comparison between Smac and CtP, but I don't even need to play Smac to say this for certain:

CIV II STILL RULES !!!!!

Although I am excited about the greater variety of Smac, and some of the improvements, such as limiting the power of the diplomatic type of unit, the 4 ways of winning Smac really still boil down to 2 (trancendance and either conquest or the ability to conquer easily without actually going to the trouble), the graphics are inferior, the interface is too slow and complicated, and the caravan replacement is a stunted version of the original. Although I like the ability to use a crawler to caravan minerals and energy from one city to another it just isn't the same as being able to ship a caravan to a forign city half way around the world for wealth untold.

CtP has also stunted the caravan thing, making navies only useful for warfare once the world is pretty much explored, and taking away an important part of the game.
Also combat in ctP has been adulterated. I won't go into it; you all know what I am talking about.

Whereas both SMAC and CtP add some fun things to the game, it doesn't make up for some of the things they take away.

To truely improve on civ 2, I would suggest the following:

1. The interface of Civ 2 is pretty darn good. Don't screw with it much. I like to be able to click on my city and have a visual image of my market place, temple, etc. I don't want to click here to see a list, and then have to read through it. Maybe make it easier to move stacks of units, or simplify it in other ways, but don't mess up what's good about the interface.

2. Caravans, and the trade bonus, are a big part of the game. Sure, add to the abilities of the lowly camel, but don't take abilities away. I didn't do anything to you, so why would you want to take trade bonuses away from me?

3. Add variety without taking variety away.

4. Do something to play balance those freaking dip units.

5. If you must change the combat engine, don't go back to the itiotic civ I / CtP system that allows a phalanx a reasonable chance to take out a battle ship.
Old July 20, 1999, 02:47   #45
Tomislav
Warlord

No doubt CivII is the greatest. Its incredibly customizable and I have spent more hours playing civII than I have breathing (well, maybe not quite that many...)
Old July 20, 1999, 17:24   #46
Grishnakh
Settler

I have only played civ and civ2 so far but I really dont feel any need for ctp or smac, civ2 is more than enough drug for me
Old July 21, 1999, 02:11   #47
Monkey
King

I bought MOO2 first then CTP and now civ2. I've been playing civ2 and CTP alternating and I think they are both good. I dont know but civ2 graphics sometimes really cheeses me off...anyway now I'm a little bit bored of this whole civ business and I'm going back to MOO2...

My vote: MOO2

CTP and civ2 stands equal in my eyes. If Activision ever implemented a better diplomacy model then IMO CTP will be better than civ2.
Old July 23, 1999, 01:42   #48
TNapoleon
King

Well, I guess we have now enough replies to count the vote total so far:

What's the BEST of all CIVS
Civ2: 17 votes
SMAC: 4 votes
CCTP: 3 votes
Colonization: 2 votes
Civ1: 1 vote
MGE: 1 vote
Civ2FW: 1 vote

Hmmmm...what do you think?

------------------
"Politics are nothing but common sense applied to greater matters"
Napoléon Bonaparte
TNapoleon
Cartographer-The Third War @ sidgames.com
Webmaster-Napoleão's Civilization II World www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ring/7014
Old July 23, 1999, 17:30   #49
Transcend
Prince

Local Time: 00:14
SMAC is the best. Civ2 is too easy. I could beat the game every time on Deity level. The problem with SMAC is that it takes too long to get into the game and to have a feeling about what terms such as Sentient Econometrics mean. But the variety of strategies to win in SMAC is just unrivaled, each faction has to be played differently, and the tech tree is designed so that you can pursue different venues. In Civ2, going after invention is the only and best way to win at Deity level.
I don't even need to consider Ctp: unbalanced gameplay, super units, strange diplomacy.
Colonization is indeed a good game, but it requires too much micromanagement.
Civ1 was better than Civ2, but it is hard to fit great AIs and many nice features on only 2 1.4MB disks.

Old August 1, 1999, 23:26   #50
Bferrulho
Warlord

What's so wrong with Call to Power?
Old August 2, 1999, 15:04   #51
Black Dragon

SMAC!

Differences between factions, better diplomacy, Borders!, living Planet, so on...

Old August 3, 1999, 00:38   #52
Delthalaz
Chieftain

The problem with Call to Power is that it is a poorly written Civ II knock off with about 2 improvements and maybe 30 or 40 fatal flaws. The tech tree is obscenely unballanced and you never get a chance to build any of the cool later units before being thrown into the mindless alien clone race. The alien clone race was devised by going "hmm. Civ II has a logical and interesting space race to colonize alpha centauri. Lets come up with another kind of race! I know! Lets involve aliens!"
The wonders were thought up the same way. They are poor imitations of Civ II wonders. I have also never before seen a game that has been so modified to make it actually playable. CTP reintroduces the CIV I problem of a battleship being defeated by a whatsitcalled primitive guy. A tank can easily be defeated by a group of whatsitcalled primitive guys. I was not disappointed with Smac. The way that we get to design the units is pure genius. Infinately replayable. Yes the graphics are a small problem but they spent TIME on Alpha Centauri. They worked out 99% of the bugs. I can not say the same for CTP.
BUY SMAC! Buy CIV II! Don't buy CTP!
Old August 8, 1999, 17:44   #53
Peter Hennesy
Warlord

Civ II, Imp II, Moo2, Smac, CTP. However easy Civ II seems now, spent a hell of a long time getting there, and theres enough challenges like OCC and enough mods to keep it interesting evemn now.... Dont know why, but Ive played itmore than every other game I have put together.
Old August 12, 1999, 19:26   #54
fallen

To me, the best is still Master of Magic.
Does anybody ever played that? I still do.
For those not familiar, it is similar to Civ1 but with a fantazy background. Not unlike the new Civ ToT world, but more detailed:

. spell creation
. units Exp
. undead creation from fallen units
. different spells realms
. lots and lots of differents units
. hero units
. (well-done) stacking of units
. tactical screen for battle, with ranged combats, spells, etc... All stacked units participate in the fight. You could even flee from a fight...

As in Tot, there was several planes (ok, only two: the underworld and the normal world).

The type of magician you chose at the begining had great impact on the game, allowing very different kind of gameplay... maybe more than in any other civ games, smac included.

I just wish a MoM II would come out... But since the whole team was sacked a couple of years ago, this is quite unlikely.

Does anybody know if this MoM can be hacked into a multiplayer game, the way Civ2 was?

--
Emmanuel

Old September 6, 1999, 01:05   #55
TNapoleon
King

BUMP

I just can't wait to see ToT! Is it really good at all?
Old September 6, 1999, 04:17   #56
Hans the Hun

Fallen:
You may take a look at http://www.sound.net/~rearls/

I liked MOM for a while, but it had a slow performance on my old PC.

I like Civ2 most.

Old October 17, 1999, 14:20   #57
TNapoleon
King

THOU SHALT NOT LET THIS THREAD DIE!
Old December 10, 1999, 18:02   #58
TNapoleon
King

bump.
Old December 10, 1999, 20:52   #59
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
Hmm, why shouldn't this thread die? a bet or something? Anyway:

Civilization. The original DOS game. The animated water. The newspaper. The 256 color beauty...
Old December 10, 1999, 20:55   #60
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
Hmm, why shouldn't this thread die? a bet or something? Anyway:

Civilization. The original DOS game. The animated water. The newspaper. The 256 color beauty...