Old December 10, 1999, 21:03   #61
VetLegion
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
Emperor

Local Time: 09:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hmm, why shouldn't this thread die? a bet or something? Anyway:

Civilization. The original DOS game. The animated water. The newspaper. The 256 color beauty...
Old December 16, 1999, 15:06   #62
Sophanthro

#! Civ 2 for all of those great player created scenarios

#2 Civ on Dos it's just a classic, I think the AI was probably the best.

#3 Colonization only flaw, why do I lose points for burning indian villages

#4 CTP Love those special units, public works, modability, hate those bugs which pretty much negate all of its features

#5 SMAC Good game, great diplomacy, don't like Sci-Fi, and having every civ based on ideology.

Old December 21, 1999, 06:03   #63
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:14
The original Civ is the best (read: eaten up most of my time). Sure, the graphics wasn't so hot, but considering its age, what do you expect?

The idea behind Civ is nothing short of genius. The implemention was somewhat flawed, sure, esp. the part about it played like a collection of city-states instead of one country. This flaw has so far been uncorrected in all the Civ-like games.

Civ2 is better in graphics, etc. However, it is simply a rework of the original classic without any revolutionary elements.

CtP simply sucked for too many reasons. Some good ideas. Absolutely absymal interface. Totally unbalancing units (slavers come to the mind). The wonders are just a makeover of Civ ones.

SMAC is almost as good as the original Civ with many interesting twists. However, as far as I can tell this is yet another evolutionary game.

MoO is good. Although it took after Civ but still managed to have a large degree of originality.

MoO2 is more of the same. A refined MOO with some ideas from MoM.

MoM is a take off of Magic: the Gathering. Even the colors of magic are the same. There is also too much stuff to it. A bewildering mix of units. A huge number of spells. An insane list of abilities for heroes. The whole thing seems to be just a big mess of chaos. If Steve Barcia had decided to trim down on the design, it could have been great.
Right now, I get a headache by just thinking about it.
Old December 22, 1999, 05:24   #64
Tree
Warlord

Local Time: 07:14
1-SMAC This game is Starcraft meats Civ, and for a huge SciFi and Civ fan like me that just rocks. Plus, the terraforming and ecology engine is awesome, hopefully Dinosours will have an even more intricate terraforming system.
2-Civ II. Love it for its customability!
3-RR Tycoon I/II(no ones mentioned this!!) Great Economics model at work!
4-Colonization- Someone who appreciates history will love this game, it does a good job with historical realism, definetly can see BR's touches at work.
5-CTP ¿Como? All I gotta say is what were these fiends smoking when they got together and shat out this piece of crap.
Old December 27, 1999, 08:37   #65
Xuenay
Warlord

Civ 2 for sure!
Old December 28, 1999, 04:38   #66
Nicolas
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

Smac, followed by civ 2, followed CLOSELY by colonization. Smac wasn't revolutionary, but it certainly was an advance on an already excellent game.
Old January 7, 2000, 00:16   #67
Ethnic Clenser

civ2 mge for the most fun to date. killing humans is cool

Smac is a great game but too easy and dark

TOT is interesting from a scenario maker point of view but the new graphics do nothing for me and its too dark as well

Colonization was great and why do you lose points for burning those native villages anyways hehe

CTP is my coaster on my computer

origional civ is a fab game too... never played civnet though??? i know i know but i got civ 2 instead

------------------
They Call Me Fierce. Mr. Fierce!

Old January 14, 2000, 16:41   #68
TNapoleon
King

Local Time: 04:14
What is so good about MoO/MoO2 anyway?
These games were never released here in Brazil, so I'll never know...
Old January 17, 2000, 09:22   #69
Aldo Moro
Settler

The best was of course Civ2! Easy customization, tons of scenarios etc.

Civ1 was quite nice at its time, but it had too many flaws. Needless to mention battleship vs phalanx, while the AI could kill you (on emperor level) with about as much units as you can count with a single hand on its funny days. Though I really miss the newspapers. And I liked to see my soldiers parade through conquered cities.
Not as good in Civ2 with just some b/w photos.

SMAC may be nice, but if you're no big fan of Sci-Fi (like me), you won't have that much fun with it. Same goes for colonization, as I don't like this era either.

I can't say anything about CTP. Haven't played it yet. Is it true this game doesn't even have an earth map?

What do you think of Imperialism? I know the military AI was crap and couldn't even defend
its own country or mount a serious attack,I liked the way you could develop you country. Another flaw was that if you had conquered more than about 100 provinces, the game would crah after the trade screen.
Old January 17, 2000, 12:47   #70
Narck
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Tree on 12-22-1999 04:24 AM
15-CTP ¿Como? All I gotta say is what were these fiends smoking when they got together and shat out this piece of crap.
LOL!!!!

Old January 27, 2000, 10:38   #71
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 00:14
My favorite Turn based strategy games ever, in rough order are..

1. SMAC and SMAX
2. MOO2
3. CIV2
4. Imperialism

Now, a question for everyone.. I'm a huge fan of turn based strategies (aren't most of us?) and while I'm not abandoning my favorite games, I would like to play something different.. I've played a great deal of them, from Birth of the Federation, to Lords of the Realm 2.. and I'm coming to the conclusion that there just aren't enough good ones out there... I definitely see a higher demand for good TBS's than there are. Anyone have any suggestions for good TBS's that I might have missed? I'm not talking about Civ varients, I've played almost all of them.. (and I find the originals to be the best). Just looking for some game titles that are worth while.

Daniel-Tig
Old January 27, 2000, 12:05   #72
Monkey
King

JAGGED ALLIANCE 2!!!!! The best turn based game to come out this year!!! Try that turn based based game... it is nothing like civ at all and is more a squad based tactical game but it's very very good.
Old January 28, 2000, 01:18   #73
Tom DeMille
Prince

I'm surprised that this discussion never went back further than CivI to one of its predecessors.

I'll throw in a vote for "Utopia", the old Intellivison strategy game. I'll also throw in a vote for "M.U.L.E.", the commodore 64 game about cornering the market on a distant mining colony.

Both of these games had similar play elements to modern day turn based strategy. They were great fun to play at the time, maybe not quite as much fun as Civ but more fun than a shooter upper of the day.

Old January 28, 2000, 12:17   #74
TigToad
Prince

Wow, I remember Utopia.. used to play it all the time WAY back when. Too bad it wasn't much fun without two people. There was no AI back then.

If we're talking about past games, I really enjoyed the nintendo game (and I think it came out on computer) Nobunaga's Ambition.. that was one of my favorite games ever.

I did have in mind tho, more games that I could buy and run on my Pentium II. (Even if I have to hunt to find them).

As for old computer games that I really really loved that just can't handle a pentium based computer, I loved the old Star Flight series.. (star flight 1 and starflight 2).. way fun games.. not turn based, but the action wasn't really the point of the game, and time passed slow.

I'll try Jagged Aliance 2

Daniel-Tig
Old January 28, 2000, 18:38   #75
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 23:14
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I spent many hours with Utopia and Nobunaga's Ambition 2......Classics
Old January 28, 2000, 19:13   #76
Caesar the Great
Emperor

CIV 2

------------------

Its normal to be weird here and weird to be normal~ Brain

Free YYYH and Spink... whoops force of habit... Free RainbowJDS, we've already forgoten!

___
CtG

Old January 28, 2000, 20:59   #77
Glak
Warlord

I've played the following: civ1, civ2, SMAC, colonization. The clear winner is civ1. Civ2 was a step down in gameplay. SMAC is civ2 gameplaywise (maybe a tad better) but with better features. Still features don't make the game, the gameplay does so civ1 crushes the others.
Old February 2, 2000, 21:54   #78
Hero Caesar

Hmmm. Civ 2 is probably my favourite, but in a lot of ways it was Civ 1 again with prettier graphics, new units, new wonders and a few other fixes. Colonization was a great game, though it lacked the long term enjoyment of Civ for me. CTP - I have yet to even finish a game with it, the interface is VERY annoying plus heaps of other problems other people have already stated. Haven't played SMAC yet.

So after all that rambling I guess Civ 2 is the winner.

Old February 10, 2000, 08:10   #79
Sikander
King

Well, here are my rankings of the games that I have played so far:

Master of Magic: An immense amount of game play here, tactical combat, many unit types (with several experience levels), heroes and weapons for them to weild (and a weapon workshop where you could build custom weapons for them). Millions of spells, Many paths to victory.

Civ 1: An instant classic. So popular that even it's problems were carried over to Civ 2 and other descendants.

MOO 2: Good space game, where you could design and build your own ships and fight it out on a tactical battle map. Better simulation (and simpler too) of economic behavior than the tired city-state model of Civ etc.

Colonization: A very good early (partial)departure from the Civ economic model, where people in town actually do something other than gather rescources. Personnel specialization, training, immigration, all things that might have made Civ 2 something other than too little too late. Endgame was anticlimactic, and not challenging at all, and poor (meaning no) automation made the micromanagement extremely tedious.

Smacx: Nothing revolutionary, but some nice concepts borrowed (unit workshop) and some new (to me anyway) concepts somewhat poorly executed (social engineering). Still playing it. Horrific modification troubles will probably limit the life of this product unless they are fixed by some sort of scenario editor.

Civ 2: Nothing about this game was new, and by the time it came out, everything about this game was overdue. Should be called Civ 1.1! The best thing about (MGE) is the scenario editor, which though somewhat limited (you really can't change the game enough) still manages to breath some life into this venerable engine.
[This message has been edited by Sikander (edited February 10, 2000).]
Old February 13, 2000, 02:48   #80
Qilue
King

Local Time: 17:14
In no particular order,

SMAC/x
Civ2
Colonization
Birth of the Federation
Lords of the Realm II
Railroad Tycoon 1&2
Caesar 2 (although, this isn't TBS)

One game I liked, although it's definately an aquired taste.

Conquest of the New World

Old February 13, 2000, 09:00   #81
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
In no particular order, except for Civ1...

Civ1 - Easily the most played game in my life. Never before nor since has a game kept me glued to a computer 'til 4:30 in the morning... night after night after night. "My Wife Hates Civ" could be my login too!

Colonization - My strategy: get the founding fathers who 1. makes every sacked indian village give gold, and 2. gives free transport of said gold across the Atlantic. Once I get those two gentlemen, it's sayanora for the Indians. A great game, especially for us Yanks.

Moo1: Civ1 in space. I always played the Psilons (or whoever the SMAC University equivalent was for this game). Moo2 was beset with micromanagement problems, even though I loved its race creation process.

X-Com: It had a research tree, it had "cities," so it was kind of like Civ, but with the addition of personal control of your army. Proof that the Brits can make great games.

Railroad Tycoon 2: Probably my most played game of 1998, from what I've heard it was a worthy successor to Sid's original (which I never played, having spent my money that year on "A-Train" ).

And last, but not least, Heroes of Might and Magic 2/3. Nothing like Civ, it doesn't even have the Meier name to even belong in this thread, but still HOMM is a brilliant series of TBS games that captures the "just one more turn" momentum as perfectly as Civ - and that's no small feat!
Old February 14, 2000, 03:19   #82
Cthol
King

Civilization 2
Old February 15, 2000, 09:41   #83
master k
Settler

well, i can't remeber which game was more addictiv:
colonization or civ2.
colonization had poor graphics, but an exciting atmosphere.
civ2 had an extreme good "longtime motivation", so in a summary i would say: both.

master k
Old February 16, 2000, 16:33   #84
Father Beast
King

Civilization II!
This game has caused me to lose incredible amounts of time, ignoring the roaring of my neglected stomach, the cries for attention from my wife and kids, the call of sleep.
I still play Civ1 occaisionally, even though the graphics aren't as good, since I can pull things there that were improved out of Civ2. (anyone remember being the mongol hordes?)

Master Of Orion runs second for the "just one more turn" addiction category. The nice thing about MOO1 (I don't have moo2) over civ was that it actually felt like a unified empire rather than a set of allied planets.
Old February 16, 2000, 19:32   #85
Seeker
Emperor

1.Civ2
2. Civ 2 expansions (I consider ToT an expansion)
3. MOO2
4. Imperialism

5. An obscure, ancient SEGA game called "Genghis Khan 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf" by KOEI
Old February 16, 2000, 19:33   #86
Seeker
Emperor

1.Civ2
3. Warlords 2 Deluxe
4. MOO2
5. Imperialism

6. An obscure, ancient SEGA game called "Genghis Khan 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf" by KOEI
Old February 16, 2000, 19:34   #87
Seeker
Emperor

1.Civ2
3. Warlords 2 Deluxe
4. MOO2
5. Imperialism

6. An obscure, ancient SEGA game called "Genghis Khan 2: Clan of the Gray Wolf" by KOEI
Old March 20, 2000, 01:29   #88
TNapoleon
King

Local Time: 04:14
How about a Blast from the Past?

------------------
"I'm really an american right-winger, i love the army and hate a forigners, communists, anarchists and faggots. I also belive in god and the american constitution."
-Kropotkin
I invented the question mark.
-Imran Siddiqui
TNapoleon
SidGamer of the Season - Winter 1999/2000
Visit SidGames.com - World's only bilingual Civ forum!
FOREIGN ADVISER - People's Republic of Off-Topic (PROT)
Old March 25, 2000, 14:02   #89
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Frogman posted:
quote:

I was hoping to read the posts and decide whether to buy CTP or SMAC.

My decision...

Keep playing Civ 2 for my turn based addiction.

For real time what is the best...Warcraft, Starcraft or Age of Empires?

Total Annihilation.
Old March 25, 2000, 14:19   #90
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I should add (to be OT):
I never thought I would break my obsession with MOO2...until I bought Civ II and TOT.