Old March 31, 2000, 16:58   #91
Andz83

Yeah, Civ2 is the best, followed by SMAC

I can also agree with fallen, who salutes MOM. (yes, I played it and still do)

in consideration to the age and the name of the game:

CtP is THE WORST GAME EVER MADE. YES!!!
It doesn't deserve the name civilization. If its name was "Call to Power" - I wuld be content. But its name is "Civilization: Call to Power" - and that's not fair. Civilization is one of the greates games of its time, as civ2 and smac. but ctp was so bugged and generally so bad, that I can't even describe it. But I'll try to count some facts:

Tech tree is irrealistic. one's not able, never in the game, to simultaneously build fighters and bombers. I've heard of a small, little war, where bombers and fighters were used . this war was called second world war, KILLING 50 MILLION PEOPLE... Its historical background is totally ignored in CtP.
The same about the Mid-Ages. The knight is an ancient unit? The age after the Ancient is the Renaissance? I've also heard about an age of knights, feudalism and crusades, called MID-AGES goddamn... really sucking
The same about good old musceteers and riflemen...there's only ONE unit representing them all: musceteer
In my Civ2 modification, I've even put in a unit between the musceteer and the riflemen...in CtP, there's only one.
I missed an early siege unit. Oh good old catapult, what have Activision heretics done to you ... really sucking, isn't it?
The civilizations:
1. The pictures: they look like Picasso drawings...especially the German one. Did they have to use such an arrogant face. Why not using a true German? clever, farseeing, and better than all the others . But, seriously, the face they used is a crime on Germany...
2. The cities. Does Germany only consist of West-Germany? Isn't there any territories eastern of the Elbe river? Grr, I'm East-German, and I felt insulted when I built all those West-towns. Those bastards from activision even used West-German village names to not be forced to use East-German big city names... And what about the true East-Germany. (You know, that what we call "East Germany" today, is actually to be called "Middle Germany" following OUR territories east of the Oder/Odra river...)
I'm sure there are equal mistakes to be find in other civilizations.

And how can some of you say that Call to Power is better than civ1 or civ2. That's pure ignorance!

Thanks for reading this post inspite of its length. Those words had to be spoken...

------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"
Cliff Burton (1962-1986), 1988 ("To Live Is To Die")

Old March 31, 2000, 19:29   #92
Lord Silvi
Warlord

Local Time: 09:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hihihi
CTP is better than CIV II Why?
Because I played CivII for 100 years! And Iam tired of it.
Now I have CTP - its fresh!
And there you wont find Magdeburg or Cottbus.
Hihihi
Old April 1, 2000, 02:53   #93
The 1212 Problem

Local Time: 07:14
Civ I, because no other game has filled me up for 5 years(1991 to 1996 upon which i played Civ II)

recently ive been playin SMAC, but i think it is hard for most people to grasp.
Old April 1, 2000, 05:37   #94
Andz83

Grr Those are typical words of a Wessi (as we East-Germans call West-Germans). Only stupid people think that nweer games are better games. Didn't you ever hear of "addictiveness". Actually, I'm not only addictive in civ2; also in civ, colonization ( , GREAT GAME, WANT A SEQUEL) and Doom2. Just because there are newer games than Doom2, would you say that they're better (Quake sucks!) ? I think, you don't know anything about emotions in connection with playing computer games, or you would be able to understand my words.

(Na ihr dämlichen Wessis, habt ihr's wieder versaut...)
[This message has been edited by Andz83 (edited April 01, 2000).]

Old April 2, 2000, 04:27   #95
Lord Silvi
Warlord

Local Time: 09:14
Okay Ossi
I think we all were CIV II - addicts. But after 10.000 victories I was totally finished with it.
I bought CTP and was disappointed. After installing patches and other things it was/is a great game. CTP has more dimensions like slavery, religion etc.
In future the best civ game could be:
Colonization II -- CTP II -- MOO III

[This message has been edited by Lord Silvi (edited April 02, 2000).]
Old April 2, 2000, 14:02   #96
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 03:14
"For real time what is the best...Warcraft, Starcraft or Age of Empires?"
Myth 2

As far as civilization goes, numero uno is still the best. For mac. The graphics were bearable, and the strategy was great! I remember exploiting a whole in the game system and building a train and irrigation system in the baltic sea. :P
Civ 1 4eva!

Civ 2 is pretty good though, gotta love those classic movies, beat the crap out of cgi!!!
Old April 6, 2000, 03:29   #97
Pren Draig

I go with Civ 2 - it took what made Civ 1 great and expanded on it. Got to love that.

Old December 22, 2000, 22:09   #98
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'm gonna bump this one up with the release of CTP:2.
Old December 22, 2000, 23:29   #99
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:14
Civ.

The problem with this comparison is most of you have never played Civ when it first came out. If you had, you'd know how good it was.

Civ 2 is a mere improvement; there were hardly any new elements.

My ranking of the games, by the amount of time I wasted on each :
    [*]Civ[*]SMAC[*]Civ 2[/list=a]

CtP sucks, and I didn't play enough Colonization to rank it.
    [This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited December 22, 2000).]
Old December 23, 2000, 03:19   #100
Teeks
Settler

I remember when my older brother brought back Civ I on his black and white Macintosh LCII. Those were the days. I have to agree with JohnT in saying that no game has ever captured my heart like Civ I did.
Civ II has to be my favorite, though. It took Civilization to a whole new level. As for SMAC, it does rank high up there in my favorite games, and I can actually beat it regularlyon Transcend (unlike Civ II where winning on Emperor is a feat), but I always come back to Civ II.
And for CTP, I've yet to finish a single game. It has wonderful ideas, but I just have a problem with the interface and all that.

--Teeks
Old December 23, 2000, 05:25   #101
Phantom
Settler

Civ2 is the best of all Civs
Old December 24, 2000, 00:09   #102
timfry

quote:

Originally posted by TNapoleon on 04-18-99 07:32 AM
I mean, Civ1 x Civ2 x SMAC x CTP x anything you want (like MGE)! Consider their age (Civ1 was released almost a decade ago, and Civ2 has 4/5 years).

The original Civ by a mile. Civ II was just an improvement in terms of graphics with additions. But Civ was so original. I still play my old PC copy and I own Civ I, Civ II, SMAC, and CTP.

Old December 24, 2000, 07:25   #103
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Joint 1st: Alpha Centauri/Civ2. SMAC is the most well-polished, realistic, and believable TBS out there, with the ultimate freedom in government selection and military development. That's light years ahead of anything any other game has done, and the amount of research they put into the game defies belief.

Civ2 is a great balance of simplicity and complexity, allowing you to make your own mods relatively easily and interestingly. Although mechanically it is less polished than SMAC, it has been kept alive for five years purely through the sheer wealth of customizations that can be done to it. Inclusion of the scenario facility was a stroke of genius for Microprose.

Civ1 was what started it all off, and when I get my friends to start on the games, I always make them play this first. However, then they graduate onto Civ2, and then we get into the realms of scenario playing.

Call To Power was a dark stain on the Civilization franchise. It is clear that the people who made this game were a mixture of accountants and/or game enthusiasts. None of them were geniuses. The user interface is in a class of its own for sheer inefficiency, and the pseudo-futuristic endgame whiffs of plagiarism... of the "SMAC's doing it, so why can't we?" type. The late game future techs are unbelievable and the Wonders of the World are badly thought out and silly.

I played this game for three evenings when it came out in UK and then returned the lot for a copy of SMAC. It's not often I feel this strongly about any game, because they're meant to be entertainment only, but to see how heavily CTP tried to just cash in on the success of Civ (and possibly SMAC) makes me very angry. I'm just glad that I appear to be in the majority here - it's not often that my view accords with the general public's, but I think that Activision have gone too far in name-pushing, and peoples' response indicates that they too recognize this for what it is.

So CTP2 is rather low on my Xmas list.
Old December 26, 2000, 23:18   #104
AustralianJeremy
King

Local Time: 16:14
quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 12-22-2000 10:29 PM
Civ.

The problem with this comparison is most of you have never played Civ when it first came out. If you had, you'd know how good it was.

Civ 2 is a mere improvement; there were hardly any new elements.

Oh, I don't know if I agree with you there. Civ2 is a definite improvement, but no "mere" improvement. The point is that, unlike CTP, Civ2 didn't "break" the magic mix of Civ1. SMAC again was no quantum leap, but it added enough without losing anything (but the Earth setting) that it's a better game again...

The question on the first page of this thread is pertinent, I reckon - and my answer is yes, SMAC with a Civ2 background would be the best of all. This is what I'm hoping Civ3 will be.

Old December 27, 2000, 09:20   #105
Coflek

Civ 1 was the best in it's time, and civ 2 comes close... but civ 1 is the ' deity game'. smacx, ctp, ctp2 are good games, but civ 1 made the mark on my life. Ihe rest is just following in it's footsteps.

Old January 2, 2001, 02:44   #106
rwz
Chieftain

How can your choose? Playing Civ2 (never had Civ1) I said "man I'll be playing this for life". It was the only thing that could get me away from Doom & Doom 2. When SMAC came out I was playing Panzer General 2 & Rail Road Tycoon 2. I didn't like the atmosphere of SMAC at first but after sticking with it I really began to love it. It is great once you get use to the futuristic techs, and arms. Designing the units is great. Don't like the look of the map? Just raise or lower some land, add forests, build mountains. And besides after a while you really get into the personalities of the factions. To this day I loathe Miram, Yang and Lal. I live to turn them into dust!
Then Call to power 2 comes along. Gotta try it! Not too impressed at first but hey its growing on me. (I'll never learn!) Anyway how can I go back to SMAC after watching that battle screen! Its the best feature. The only thing that is keeping it from being real good is the passive AI. It doesnt attack to much. Not like Yang or Santiago!
#1 Civ 2
#2 SMAC
#3 CTP2

Old January 4, 2001, 01:42   #107
tonic
King

1. Civ2
2. Colonization - a late discovery for me thanks to Abandonware. BTW my approach is the opposite of JohnT's - maximising the trade with Indians rather than annihilating them. The trade and commodity/terrain aspects are particularly absorbing despite the admittedly tame REF as a force to reckon in the war of independence.

I've never bothered with CtP with all those terrible reviews and honest opinions of civers in testimony.
Old January 4, 2001, 03:24   #108
phoenixcager

Up to now, I've played Civ, civ2, colonization, CtP & Ctp2.

I think I played Civ2 the longest. So that would get #1 spot, followed by Civ.

------------------
phoenixcager
------------------
of the the Civilization Gaming Network. Visit the CGN Forums