Old May 21, 2000, 10:49   #31
Andz83

MKL: The 400 tracks are...too many to rate them.

The track made by you is nice, esp. because of the icy roads after bends, making it more difficult to correct the driving line.

But the replays don't show high fly, they show losing. You start, drive a minute over the grassland and then stop anywhere, ending the replay. Really exciting.

But thank you. It will help me to survive the following days.

Old May 22, 2000, 00:48   #32
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 17:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I wasn't expecting you to rate the 400 - I've only played about 2 of them myself.

As for the replays, I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe you do need to have the track that they were made on. I'll check them out when I get home, but I think they should have worked.

- MKL
Old May 22, 2000, 16:51   #33
Andz83

MKL: Usually one doesn't need the original track to see the replay. I could watch a replay called "default" playing on the default track before Zkribbler sent it to me (the track, not the replay, I had this before), and there were no problems. But I think that you sent the wrong replays. Actually I have one of the tracks used in your replays, it's the one you sent to me, MD_1 !!

There aren't even any stuations being able to produce a high fly. ????

I think those were the wrong replays, don't you agree?

Old May 22, 2000, 23:57   #34
MidKnight Lament
King

I had a look last night at the two I thought I sent you, "orbit" and "orbit2", and they worked fine for me. Were these the ones that I sent to you? Not that it's really important, but it'd be nice to know what's going on. Have you got any tracks you'd like to share? Any luck finding that editor?

- MKL
Old May 23, 2000, 02:10   #35
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Has someone else managed to drive the Indy Car upside down? (?!) I've done it one time...
Old May 23, 2000, 02:38   #36
MidKnight Lament
King

I think I have, but I don't have a replay of it. I think a replay section on onepaul's site for stunts would be pretty cool. You certainly get some weird ones.

- MKL
Old May 23, 2000, 14:41   #37
Andz83

I tried to do it but after a few metres it crashed!! with very low speed!!! it happened in a pipe nearby a block.

MKL: I sent some replays of myself to you.
Yes, the replays you sent to me were orbit and orbit2. They also work on my computer but they don't show any kind of high fly, as I expected. We had been talking about high fly, hadn't we?
The replays I sent to you show nice scenes, really...

Well, I only drive the Indy Car. I cannot understand why to choose anotherone. BTW, I think there are some cars with higher acceleration and since their top speed isn't very much lower than the top speed of the Indy Car they can also be useful...

I hate those track elements leading up to a bridge/elevated road while driving a corner. I can't remember the actual name. terrible, I tell you.

MKL: I drove MD_1 in 3:45 !!! Only 4 seconds behind your top!!!

Old May 23, 2000, 21:41   #38
MidKnight Lament
King

Thanks. I won't be able to view of them 'til I get home because I'm at work right now.

I almost always drive the indy car too. And yeah, they were supposed to be high flying ones. I don't know why theyr'e not working for you...

Were your complaints about my track, or one of the 400? Some people make horrible ones. That's why I'm keen to get some from people who know what they're doing.

As for that time on MD_1, you're doing well! I worked pretty hard to get that top time, and I don't think I've come close to it on any other occasion. I might have to try harder, because it sounds like you're going to beat it!

- MKL
Old May 23, 2000, 22:20   #39
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
I finally got a chance to run MD_1. It is a stupendous first effort!

The beginning is devilishly evil, with a chicane leading into a jump. That was my favorite part. My second favorite was the banked U-turn around the central valley, leading to the loop and then to the jump over the building!

Some ways to make it better: On the first banked curve, you can drop out one of the three banked lead-ins. You never need more than two. But no biggie.

The only really necessary change is at the end of the long westward run that ends with the banked turn near the start-finish line. There, you have only one banked lead-in, and you really should have two. (That's where I lost control & spun out.) If you do add another banked lead-in, you should move the entire corner one square to the left because you need all of the short straight-away that you have now to land on when you come flying down from the mesa.

The next banked curve by the tube could also use another banked lead-in.

Finally, on the last banked curve, did you purposely put in that long banked road? It's okay if you did it for a purposely--I did a track years ago called "Tilt" which took that effect to an extreme.

I'm also sending you my track "OnYrToes." It's probably too tough for a beginner, but it shows the technique I use building small towns.
Old May 24, 2000, 08:46   #40
Andz83

Zkribbler: Could you also send it to me?

MKL: Well, I've also made some but most of them have been test-tracks to test out the AI and high fly and speed control with 345 mph in banked corners. No real challenges. Aren't worth to be shown to others, believe me.

About the track time: I'll manage it.

To prevent the overwriting of the top score of a track just make a backup of "trackname.HIG" befoer re-saving the track. Then copy the backup in the folder overwriting the newly-created, empty ".hig"-file. On this way you can manage a "20 second-time" on a 10-minutes-track. But that's cheating...

Old May 24, 2000, 19:51   #41
MidKnight Lament
King

Aah, I was wondering how people managed some insanely fast times. My default track has a time of 20 seconds or so, and I didn't see how it could be done.

Zkribbler - thanks for all that info! I can't understand it all at the moment because I'm at work and don't have the track in front of me, but I'll take a good hard look at it when I get home. I know the places that I don't like on MD_1 are the series of jumps early on. I've got fast enough on the start of the track now that going full pelt means you crash trying to land some of the jumps. I'm not too keen on that. I think I might leave that track as is, and start new. But we'll see.

I had one quick go of Onyrtoes before I went to bed early last night. I made a complete nose dive after going over one of the jumps about a minute in. It was one of those jumps straight after going up a hill, so that it's like a doubly high jump.... Well, I don't know that there was any way I could have done it without slowing down a fair bit. Sort of took my enthousiasm away a bit. Especially when there was no way to know it was like that 'til I did it. Anyway, I'll try again tonight.

Hey, did anyone try to view that replay I sent last night called 'Bouncy'? Did it work? That's a classic...

We should get each other's ICQ numbers or something. Or maybe set up a bravenet forum so that we don't annoy everyone here.

- MKL
Old May 24, 2000, 21:33   #42
Zkribbler
Deity

MKL - Remember, if you're on a bridge and see pylons or if you're on the ground and come across a length of dirt road, those are my two signals to slow down.

Andz - I just e-mailed OnYrToes to ya. Hope you have fun and don't die.
Old May 25, 2000, 09:55   #43
Andz83

MKL: I mailed you a comment to bouncy. IT DOESN'T SHOW ANY SPECTACULAR THINGS!!! Just a small crash and then 2 minutes nothing. What about my replays I sent to you a few days ago, MKL?

Zkribbler: I received your track. I'll play it and in a few hours I can give you some feedback.

Old May 25, 2000, 22:25   #44
MidKnight Lament
King

Oh, sorry. I put in the folder, and haven't looked at it. Hopefully I'll be able to see yours ok, because I don't know what's going on with the replays I'm sending you. With 'bouncy' I miss a jump, hit a windmill (i think?) fly up in the air, fall towards an icy crossroad about 30-40 seconds later, bounce back in the air, fly sideways until i hit the edge of the track (in the air), fall to ground again, bounce back up in the air sliding along the perimiter until i finally land again, and this time don't bounce. It's a doozy. I wish you could see it ok. I don't know what's gone wrong with those replays...

- MKL
Old May 26, 2000, 00:26   #45
Zkribbler
Deity

MD_1 is actually a pretty tough track. I haven't run it a whole lot of times, but I'm getting real good at dying. My most spectacular crash sent be about a mile high. My speciality is becoming the rookie move of not coming out of the tube while on the road. However, I did rack up the second best time today. Tomorrow: Number One!
Old May 26, 2000, 00:42   #46
MidKnight Lament
King

Haha. Sounds like I better get a better time up pretty quick, or I'm going to be history!

I like putting the harder things in my tracks near the start. Nothing more frustrating than driving for 5 minutes only to crash near the end. Once you get through the tunnel on the eastern side of MD_1 (about half way) you're pretty much going to finish the track unless you do something stupid. Which leaves the second half nice and fast with lots of banked corners. There's just one banked corner where you really have to use your brakes or you'll go flying over the side. Not happy with that corner actually, but I ran out of room. I'll make a better one next time.
Old May 26, 2000, 17:58   #47
Andz83

Well, "Bouncy" doesn't show this but that happened to me. It's strange that the car in the replay MISSES the mill and stays on the ground...

so, have you checked my replays? just curious...

Old May 29, 2000, 01:41   #48
MidKnight Lament
King

I did, but none of them look right. The car turns at inappropriate times like it's following another track. The car crashes about half way through most of the replays, with the rest of it just blank.

Does Acolade still exist? Who are they now? Perhaps we should write an email... Chances are we won't get any sort of response, but it might be worth a shot...
Old May 29, 2000, 20:00   #49
MidKnight Lament
King

I'm pretty sure it's Acolade. Haven't got the game in front of me here, but I'm pretty sure.

Who would own them now? Who put out the latest Test Drive?

- MKL
Old May 30, 2000, 00:59   #50
Andz83

Accolade? I always thought that stunts wouldn't be made by accolade but by mindscape...

the way my replays didn't work on your stunts is the same way as yours didn't show REAL action on mine... very strange.

Has anyone outside of MKL and me tried out some others' replay? Now I become really curious about this thing...

Old June 7, 2000, 11:21   #51
Andz83

And I'm pretty sure it's Mindscape. I don't hope that we have in fact different versions from different publishers. That could explain our replay-problem. BTW, Accolade made many racing games, you perhaps mixed them up...

Old June 8, 2000, 09:03   #52
Andz83

Well, here are some other things:

1. I managed to break the highscore in MD_1. I made it in 3 : 39.60, I think.

2. My top time on the very Default track is 1 : 09.25 . What are your best times on the Default track. I mean the real Default track.

3. There's a way to edit the terrain in the track editor. Anyone wants to know how? You can put in hills and lakes...curious?

Old June 8, 2000, 14:13   #53
Andz83

DEFAULT in 1:08.85!!!

I'm getting better!! I will manage it in under 1:08.00 I tell you...

Old June 8, 2000, 20:39   #54
MidKnight Lament
King

Yes, I'm more than a little curious. In fact, I think I've asked you about five times before.

I've hardly played the default track. I've got no idea what my best time on it is.

- MKL
Old June 9, 2000, 09:44   #55
Andz83

Well, while being in the track editor just hit [SHIFT] + [F1] to activate the terrain editor. [F1] to reactivate the track editor.

Old June 13, 2000, 19:39   #56
onepaul

the new soon to be released Stunts game: http://www.ga-sports.com/article.cfm?id=1050

too bad it alreay sucks...

Old June 15, 2000, 13:46   #57
Andz83

Yes, it doesn't seem to be a worthy successor...

Old June 19, 2000, 09:46   #58
MidKnight Lament
King

Well, it seems I was wrong with Accolade. I start it up, and it says Broderbund. I checked out broderbund.com, and it re-directed me to the Mattel interactive site. Which, then seemed to have no links to anything called Broderbund. The redirection page has a logo, but nothing after that. Well, I tried. *shrugs*

By the way, I only just tried out that Shift+F1 thing. Very nice

- MKL
Old June 19, 2000, 11:03   #59
Andz83

broderbound? now it's getting really weird...

don't you see a "mindscape" logo when starting?

yes, the shift+F1 thingy is cool, but the publisher question is much more interesting for me...

Old June 20, 2000, 07:43   #60
MidKnight Lament
King

Nup. "Broderbund presents". Then on the next screen, "Stunts. From the makers of Test Drive and The Duel".

- MKL