Old January 6, 1999, 01:29   #31
Robi
Warlord

Local Time: 07:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just read on cdmag.com that Reynolds is considering changing the unit graphics to 2d sprites to clean up the appearance and fuzziness since people have apparently been complaining a LOT!. He suggested it may be a patch for later.
Old January 6, 1999, 02:00   #32
Daniel Frappier
Prince

1) I don't care about the box.

2) How can you say SMAC as better AI, there is no proof of that yet since the games are not out but even it turn out it as, it will not be for long because CtP AI is wide open to everibody with all of it's API call. In 6 months from now when SMAC players will have understand the holes in SMAC AI (there is always some) there will be new and improve AI for CtP coming all of the time. This is one area where SMAC can't compete.

3) I will rename the Eco Ranger -> Genesis Device wich would have been it's name all along if it didn't belong to Star Trek. For those who do not like Star Trek, you can play a game without.

4) About everything in CtP is customizable !! so I don't understand this one.

5) More replayable?? Civ II was replayable and CtP add a lot to what Civ II had. I will probably end up with hundreds of scenarios and thousands of units on my PC a few years from now. I could very well be playing the game for the next 5 or more years.

6) I don't know what SMAC offer on this but i do know i will be playing CtP on the internet. They have added a ton of settings for time control that i wich MGE had.

7) and I don't care about the box....

With CtP my only limitations are past and future history and my imagination.
Old January 6, 1999, 08:56   #33
Robi
Warlord

Jeez, Apocalypse, wanna start a flame war again? Unless you work for both Firaxis and Activision, and have knowledge privy only to you, it is impossible to say what you did. Save it for the releease dates.
Old January 6, 1999, 18:57   #34
Biggles
Prince

Local Time: 15:15
I agree Robi.
I have personally decided against SMAC.
It is up to CTP now.
Old January 6, 1999, 22:17   #35
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 02:15
>1) I don't care about the box.

I'm a box collector so I do

>2) How can you say SMAC as better AI, there is no proof of that yet since the games are not out but even it turn out it as, it will not be for long because CtP AI is wide open to everibody with all of it's API call. In 6 months from now when SMAC players will have understand the holes in SMAC AI (there is always some) there will be new and improve AI for CtP coming all of the time. This is one area where SMAC can't compete.

I've played the SMAC demo and have had long conversations with people who work with Activision about CTP's AI.

>3) I will rename the Eco Ranger -> Genesis Device wich would have been it's name all along if it didn't belong to Star Trek. For those who do not like Star Trek, you can play a game without.

The idea and consept still sucks though

>4) About everything in CtP is customizable !! so I don't understand this one.

Well everything in SMAC is customizable, including the units.

>5) More replayable?? Civ II was replayable and CtP add a lot to what Civ II had. I will probably end up with hundreds of scenarios and thousands of units on my PC a few years from now. I could very well be playing the game for the next 5 or more years.

Well SMAC is more customizable

>6) I don't know what SMAC offer on this but i do know i will be playing CtP on the internet. They have added a ton of settings for time control that i wich MGE had.

SMAC can be both Turn based and morore of that multiple moves at one time thing, don't feel like explaining it

7) and I don't care about the box

Again, I do :
Old January 7, 1999, 19:14   #36
Mentat
Prince

They were going to rename the Park Ranger to Genesis device, but they thought that there might be copyright problems with Star Trek. I propose that we should all change the name to Genesis device as soon as we get the game, since that was its intended name.

Apocalypse, your arguments are pretty weak. If you truely believe those things, then you're going to have to back them up.

Why do you say that SMAC is more customizable, for instance? In C:CTP you can rewrite the entire AI, change all the graphics, and all the stats if you want. What does SMAC have that is more customizable than that? Maybe I'm missing something, but in SMAC, I couldn't even find the file that stored unit graphics.

And how do you know that SMAC has better multiplayer? Unless I'm missing a major source, Activision has said very little about multiplayer, but assures us that it has been built as a multiplayer game from the start.

Why do you say that the Eco Ranger concept sucks?

If you've had discussions with Activision about the AI in C:CTP, would you mind divulging what it was that they said that made you think it had poor AI?
Old January 7, 1999, 19:18   #37
BiznatcH
Chieftain

Apocalypse -

what do you do when they ask for the upc code on the box for the mail in rebates? Do you just say screw the rebate...i want the box in perfect condition or do you say...hell...its worth 10 or 20 bucks to cut it up...

just curious

Old January 8, 1999, 20:27   #38
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I'd cut it if the game box sucks. If it is a good box, I'd ask if they can send me a new box if I send the UPC in or I ask if just the recipt would work.
Old January 8, 1999, 21:52   #39
Akbar
Settler

Apocalypse, out of genuine curiousity...how many game boxes do you have? What games? Do you go out of your way for boxes or do you just keep the boxes of games you buy?
Old January 9, 1999, 17:14   #40
Apocalypse
Emperor

Over 30 game boxes, many different games (mainly games from Sid Meier or Wing Commander games though), and I have bought games just for the box (my autographed WC2 box and autographed The Dig box). It is just a hobbie I have.
Old January 10, 1999, 01:32   #41
slogan
Settler

yes, yes, yes, all very fine points, but what of ToT? how does that fit into the mix?

slogan
'now, with bleach!'
Old January 10, 1999, 19:00   #42
Biggles
Prince

What's ToT?
A new explosive or a new drink?

Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Old February 13, 2001, 16:30   #43
Chaos Warrior

I go for SMAC

CTP sucks because of static units and government model, whereas SMAC provides a unit creator and SE

Old February 13, 2001, 23:02   #44
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Andz,

Are you really that bored? Look at how old that thread was!
Old February 14, 2001, 11:21   #45
Chaos Warrior

Does that really matter, you elitist American?

Old February 20, 2001, 18:41   #46
Knarma Sha

Despite it's age, I found the thread to be an interesting read nonetheless.