Old May 21, 2000, 16:07   #1
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Perfect Dark
the long awaited unofficial sequel to Goldeneye is being released soon.Probably next month.Can't wait.It better be good
Old May 28, 2000, 00:20   #2
Jasonian
King

Local Time: 02:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Next month? What you talking bout? It's out right now! I've had in since Tuesday!

Ahhh... 8 AI drones in multiplayer... even alone that's a riot. I haven't had time to recruit some old Goldeneye vets for a true 12 player match yet.
Old May 28, 2000, 09:09   #3
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 00:15
So Jasonian? Whatcha think of it??
Old May 28, 2000, 16:21   #4
Jasonian
King

Local Time: 02:15
Single Player:

Goldeneye darkened. Apparently none of these guys are willing to spend money on an electricy bill for good lighting. But that's what Night Vision goggles are for, eh?

I was stumped a few times... maybe five or so. The last level really got me good. Anyway, I beat it on the first difficulty after about 4 days of solid playing. What fun!

On the higher difficuties, the objectives take a lot more thinking. In Goldeneye, all you had to do was get a new item or download something. In Dark, a door may be locked, or a key character moved, and you have to find a way to improvoise.

Multiplayer:

8 AI drones! Whoo! There are 6 levels of difficulty for them, and I'm having issues with the middle two. I feel so bad at this... of course, I am just one player. I need to call over some friends and try true multiplayer out.

There are like 6 modes of battle. I personally like Capture the Briefcase. You have to go out, grab an enemy team's briefcase, AND bring it back to your own briefcase without dying! This is where having AI team members guarding your case is helpful, since having an enemy case is useless without your own still being safe.

I've found three levels from Goldeneye: Complex, Temple, and Facility. There may be more hidden. Since I know those levels, I'm pretty good there.

It's REALLY easy to die, so be sure to put a shield in your matches. The shield seems to help more then body armor did, but then again you life gets taken away faster without a shield.

When playing teams, the characters are totally covered with color from their team. This makes it easy to spot an enemy from far away. Also, you can name teams too. The blue team (mine) is named "Jasonians" right now.

Other:

Gadgets are cooler then Goldeneye. Night Vision, Infared, and X-Ray Goggles are all in there. But Cloaking Devices are the best! They make you invisible, as long as you don't fire. Going cloaked and then sneaking up on an enemy is infinity amusing. I can't wait to sneak up on a real human, especially with a one-hit-kill weapon. Bwa ha ha!

Weapons are pretty balanced too, although fast-fire machine guns still dominate. The one-hit-kill weapons all have a major disadvanage. (Slow aim turning, slow reload, bad range, ect) The weapons all have two uses. The 2nd use can be a different fire rate, an improved tracking system, or a totally new weapon (like a grenade launcher or exploding rounds.)

Yes, I'm having too much fun with this game.
[This message has been edited by Jasonian (edited May 28, 2000).]
Old February 25, 2001, 21:42   #5
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 23:15
Local Date: October 30, 2010
boing

Finally picked it up.$30.

AWESOME.I didn't think Goldeneye could be topped but.....

Dust off that N64 and pick this up before it's too late.Fantastic game.

Too bad we won't see a 3rd in this line.
Old March 2, 2001, 14:33   #6
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 03:15
I dunno - I was a bit disappointed by PD. It took what was good in Goldeneye and then tried to make it realistic, but if you ask me, they made it a bit too X-Files-ey and comic-ey.

They also altered the damage system, which now makes weapons like the Magnum (my favorite) completely useless against the far more vulgar CMP150

But on the whole, it's quite amazing what they managed to shoehorn into the game. Lighting effects (a bit overdone, but at least it's dynamic), realistic surround sound, blur effects (though it lasts after you've died), and that wonderful gunfight between Cassy's shotgun guards at the DataDyne building roof.

I just hope that the next game in the series will go less for stock sci-fi sequences and funny voice acting, and more for timeless classic status. But that's always difficult to get just right, as even George Lucas attests.