Old September 2, 2000, 15:05   #61
Andz83

errr... Shady, could you tell me why you always have to use that MWUAHAHAHAHAHA shit?

Old September 2, 2000, 15:09   #62
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Dramatic effect.
Old September 2, 2000, 15:26   #63
Andz83

err... but in every post? uh...

another question: the BUMP spell, to which sphere of magic does he belong?

PS: little hint: check your mail-accounts..

Old September 2, 2000, 16:27   #64
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Its arcane.

As to your question you could check my profile email... except that its slightly misspelt (exclude everything after the @)

Shall we get back to MoM?

How powerful are Sky Drakes?
Should I use one sphere of magic or two?
Old September 2, 2000, 16:58   #65
Andz83

Sky Drakes are useful, very useful as they're resistent to all kind of magics (even to Doom Bolts )
but I still prefer Great Drakes (Chaos magic)

it can be handy to use 1 sphere as well as 2 or even 3 spheres

I for myself use to take 5 picks Chaos, 2 picks Nature and 2 picks Sorcery... the leader abilities are Chaos Mastery and Node Mastery...

Node Mastery prevents Magic nodes from dispelling my spells and producing the double amount of mana after it was melt...

Chaos magic brings many good attack spells. nature magic lets me transfrom the land and transmute the goodies. sorcery magic lets me enchant the roads and improve my reputation with the Aura of Majesty Enchantment. it's a nice mix I use, if not very efficient. better are 2 spheres or only one sphere.

I wouldn't advice you to take more than 3 spheres of magic. and it's also not worth the pick to choose only one spell book of any sphere

Old September 3, 2000, 13:50   #66
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Personally I play with 4 Life/4 Nature with Alchemy and Warlord. I haven't gotten anything more powerful then a Basilisk (I opt for quick conquest)

Did you really have to BUMP all the MOM threads?
Old September 4, 2000, 09:54   #67
Andz83

well, in fact I have to increase my post count in some way...

actually I think there should be more discussion on that game

Old September 4, 2000, 15:37   #68
Shadowstrike
Emperor

*sigh* MOM is a forgotten legend... superior to Civ II itself... Unless someone makes what Civ II was to CIV for MOM, it will probably remain that way...
Old September 12, 2000, 09:39   #69
Andz83

well... well...

Andz83 collects a few hundred Mana Cr. and once again casts the Arcane Spell of BUMP

why are there people at these forums who just don't post in the threads concerning the games they like
I just can't imagine that we two are the only ones left who like MoM!!

Old September 12, 2000, 18:04   #70
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I don't know. With the Alchemy ability, I just collect enough mana crystal every turn to pay for creatures. I generate all the other mana crystals I need by converting gold... which is plentiful.

Sigh... I can't believe that only we are interested in MoM anymore.
Old September 14, 2000, 15:46   #71
Rural Ranger

Hey, I'm here too, I just don't discuss about the game as much!

Hmm... did I have only one post on this thread? I remembered posting another one. Well, forgot what it was about anyway.

To MoM: I just played a game with the Torin supertactic at impossible level and two computer opponents, and it was still boringly easy. 11 life spell books is the way to go if you want to take it easy .

BTW, do you know any good tactics to use with death mages? When used by me, death magic seems to be the worst single sphere of magic there is. Even the kick-ass heroes (Ravashack, Mortu) don't help much, as the first flying (especially drakes) can come and kill them easily.

hmm... Perhaps I should try to mix death and sorcery to give Mortu flight so that he can use first strike and magic immunity against the fire breath... Now that could, in fact, be powerful. Should try someday.

Old September 14, 2000, 15:50   #72
Rural Ranger

Hmm... so the posts DID actually get through, the server had just a weird slowdown or something.
[This message has been edited by Rural Ranger (edited September 16, 2000).]

Old September 14, 2000, 15:54   #73
Rural Ranger

[This message has been edited by Rural Ranger (edited September 16, 2000).]

Old September 14, 2000, 20:08   #74
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Hmm... there's also that wraith stretegy that involves taking a large amount of death books and ravaging the world with wraiths. I dunno if it works, never tried it.
Old September 15, 2000, 09:40   #75
Andz83

uh.. atriple post in our nice topic...

and what is this? a pure spam post in our nice topic...

Old September 17, 2000, 13:04   #76
DracoOmega
Settler

Local Time: 07:16
Does anyone know if there is going to be a sequal to Master of Magic?

Or if there isn't, as someone suggested earlier in this thread, maybe someone should start working on it.
I'd be interested in working on a project like that being both a programmer and an avid MoM player to this day (not terribly good but still avid )
Old September 17, 2000, 14:10   #77
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I suggested it a while ago, it might have been me... I'd be interested in makinga MoM2, butmy programming skills are limited to Message Boxes and similar varients... I can't even program an IF statment for crying out loud.....

But I can help churn out ideas... Andy... what's your take on this?
Old September 17, 2000, 14:58   #78
Andz83

err... um... err.. yes... err... um.. cough... I'm outta here!

Old September 17, 2000, 15:24   #79
Shadowstrike
Emperor

*catches Andy and pulls him back inside*

Hey, this idea might work... first, we'll need a place where we can keep all of our brainstormed ideas.... any ideas where? Then, we'll figure out how to use them...

Anyone want to try and see if they can get MarkG or DanQ to set up a MoM forum?
Old September 18, 2000, 03:10   #80
Andz83

and who would be the moderator of this forum?

also, others would like to get an MOO forum then. but MOO sucks and doesn' deserve an own forum

there's a thread in the other games forum, in which someone announces his company's work at MOM2. I'll bump it

Old September 18, 2000, 14:15   #81
DracoOmega
Settler

I checked out that post you bumped and it appears to be
dead. The webpagepage only has a logo on it and the sourceforge project hasn't been updated since the end of May. Not even any news posted. So I think I'll investigate the possibility of working on one myself.

I'm not commiting to making a improvement on MoM yet but I'd like to see how much interest there is for it.

I'm going to start a new thread where people can post their suggestions or express interest in helping with the project. If you have any comments, please post.
Old September 19, 2000, 13:28   #82
Andz83

I think I made a post in this, but it seems that wasn't posted...

Old November 16, 2000, 07:03   #83
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:16
*casts the spell of BUMP*

thanks for teaching me that one, shadowstrike.

I had to bring this one back, because I just started playing it, having got it from some abandonware site or other, and am loving it!!!
I was getting plastered for a while, so I went and got the manual at bhlegend, and am doing somewhat better.

My current game is with Horus and Klackons (what"s Wrong with Klackons?) and I noticed a HUGE jump when I went from halberdiers to stag beetles. all of a sudden all the nearby nodes are mine.

incidentally, my version must be a demo or something. I don't have the save or load buttons, just quit. when I start again, I choose continue. If I start a new game, the old one is lost.
Old November 20, 2000, 20:16   #84
Father Beast
King

HOLEY MOLEY!! This is one addicting game. I find I've stopped playing civ to play MOM. maybe I should start up FW and play the MOM jr. scenario.

I discovered what's wrong with the klackons. they can't build any better ships than triremes. I maxed out those cities fairly early. I captured a neutral gnoll city, and it couldn't build a shipyard becasue it couldn't build a sawmill because there wasn't any forest in the city radius!!!! how frustrating!
Once I got over to myrror, things got a lot more fun.
Old November 20, 2000, 22:09   #85
Shadowstrike
Emperor

OMG, somebody bumped my ancient thread!

Anyhow, I haven't played MoM in a long time, school always seems to cut into my time...

If I find the time, I think I should start again... Now to see if we can get Andy over here...

*waves flag of spam*

Old November 21, 2000, 11:50   #86
Andz83

I'm here, I'm here

well, Klackons... they have strong units but they're nothing against Paladins, Warlocks or Nightmares!

I currently play on Medium maps, level Hard, Myrran, 2 spheres Nature, Sorcery Mastery and 5 spheres Sorcery

good thing, makes me able to discover the map quickly and make my empire and my armies unvulnerable against magic... and I'm able to make my SKY DRAKES INVISIBLE!!!!

Old November 22, 2000, 07:51   #87
Father Beast
King

andz, I'm guessing you choose draconians as your race. When I got to Myrror, I found a native town of Draconians, and I am just amazed at what good thaey could do. Also saved my but because some evil wizard was casting corruption on me, and Klackons had nothing that could clean it up. but a shaman came over and did the trick. didn't even have to send a trireme, he flew over.
Old November 24, 2000, 19:43   #88
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 10:16
Now this thread is becoming a living legend, albeit a very small one...
* Notices that he isn't sure what "albeit" means *
Heck.

The MoM heroes page is down.
* Breaks down in tears and curses *
Heck.

Old November 26, 2000, 12:37   #89
Andz83

Father Beast - it's actually Dark Elves

Old November 28, 2000, 15:31   #90
Rex Little
Prince

I've been playing MOM for years, but just discovered this thread. A few of my observations/opinions:

The computer players will all declare war on you sooner than later. Don't worry about it; just consider it part of the challenge. At any level below Impossible, they don't come after you very aggressively; you can largely choose when and where to fight. I never offer tribute.

Someone commented how much better stag beetles are than halberdiers. That applies to pretty much all the races: the top unit is very much worth getting. I generally beeline my first city towards that unit, building only minimum garrison forces otherwise. My favorites of the Arcanus races are paladins, griffons, pegasi and stag beetles, in about that order.

If you have a unit that can rangestrike and also avoid contact with the enemy (either by superior speed or flight) you can take almost any neutral city by attrition. Fire off all your rangestrikes, then spend the rest of the battle running away. Repeat until all defenders are dead. It's boring because you spend 40+ turns out of every battle running, but it's effective. It'll even work against a city controlled by an enemy wizard if he can't use spells against you for some reason.

Even without speed or flight, attrition will often work against a walled city. For some reason, the AI will almost always huddle behind the walls, attacking only those units which move adjacent to the gate.

Someone mentioned that slingers were doomed once they had to face Great Drakes. I beg to differ. A stack of 9 elite slingers will take out a Great Drake before he gets close enough to attack. Granted, if there are more Drakes in the stack the others will chew up the slingers, but slingers are cheap. Build another stack and send them in after the remaining Drakes. Pretty soon, no more Drakes.

Gotta go now; more to come if and when they occur to me.