Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by Chaos Warrior on 03-08-2001 06:16 AM
only 3K, LightEning?

ever heard of msdos.sys, fellows?

and autoexec.bat?
and config.sys?
I take it most of you are scared by DOS names for files...

Look, I have no qualms about editing my Windows system files. I have done so whenever I need to. I have edited the registry and know my way around it fairly well. I have written registry keys to assosciate file types with programs I have written. I have dabbled in (not extensively, admittedly) Windows API calls. Basically, Windows doesn't scare me. However, I don't have the knowledge to reliably do certain things. Arranging for DOS programs to run under windows properly is one of these things. If someone were to tell me then I would have no problems doing it. As yet, the only reply I have been given has not worked and possibly caused my machine to crash due to a version difference. If you would tell me what to do I would do it. Don't insult me by insinuating that I would be "too scared".

Old March 8, 2001, 11:06   #152
Chaos Warrior

LOL!!! no offense intended... it's just so hard to have a look into the files

My serious post for today:

Generally there are 2 ways of getting MOM to work: using EMS in DOS (for which you have to edit the MSDOS.SYS not to get windows started at every reboot) and getting the memory sorted out in WIN. to prevent windows from starting automatically, edit the hidden file MSDOS.SYS on your main drive (probably c:\)... search for the following lines:

[Options]
BootMulti=1
BootGUI=1
DoubleBuffer=1
AutoScan=1
WinVer=4.10.1998

change BootMulti and BootGUI from 1 to 0. Now windows is not automatically started after booting

DOS:

To get the memory set to EMS in DOS you have to edit CONFIG.SYS and add the following lines to the file:

DEVICE=c:\windows\himem.sys
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=c:\windows\emm386.exe RAM D=64
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROMDRV\ATAPICD.SYS /D:CD003

actually, these are the ONLY lines your CONFIG.SYS may consist of! Better make a copy of your former config file! in the 'new' file, you're loading: HIMEM.SYS to get the high memory. DOS=HIGH,UMB to ... something with high memory, I don't know ... and EMM386.EXE which eventually allows you to use EMS.... by NOT typing NOEMS in the end of the EMM386.EXE line, you prevent it from loading the XMS memory... I'm sure those of you who already use the file are loading XMS though.... well, the last line is for the CD ROM drive... if you use the HD version, you don't even need that

the AUTOEXEC.BAT should look like this (the terms in brackets are only for commenting, don't type them in! ):

SMARTDRV (cool memory thing)
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T2 (sound card)
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS (sound card)
... (dos sound driver, depends on your system)
LH ... (keyboard file... you don't need it when in the US)
mode con rate=32 delay=1 (keyboard setting)
LH ... (DOS mouse driver)
LH ... (DOS CD ROM driver)

these settings are optimal for EMS memory... now MOM should work just fine, you have mor ethan 600K of free memory when using the right files for keyboard mouse and CD ROM.... the high memory is the clue...

WINDOWS:

make a shortcut with the magic.com on your desktop... open it

when I had less memory than I have now, I used to set the "Memory" setting in the shortcut's properties menu to a certain value... I had 64 Megs of RAM and set the EMS option in the Memory option (properties menu for magic.pif) to the highest possible value... it was 16384, I think... nowadays I have 192 Megs of RAM, so it works just fine...

But there's one important detail: for the winodws start, you must not load any drivers and/or devices into your autoexec and config files than you need to play the certain dos game in windows... actually, if you are playing the HD version, your config.sys can be EMPTY!!! the CD ROM device is the only necessary tool, if it is... the autoexec only needs sound and mouse driver, perhaps a keyboard driver. all the stuff that is loaded in those files is only needed for DOS programs, so it's only slowing down windows...

Old March 8, 2001, 11:09   #153
Chaos Warrior

actually, my DOS advice should be similar to what the "Boot Disk maker" does...

boot disk maker...

Old March 8, 2001, 18:11   #154
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 10:16
OK, as we should really be talking about MoM, well, here goes a "bug report":

I got Sir Harold offering to be hired, I would have got this for 10 mana/turn and 250 GP:

Super leadership
Super legendary
Blademaster
Constitution
Noble
Construction ( -> can construct roads)
Pathfinding
Plane shift
Create outpost
Invisibility
Land corruption ( -> may corrupt any square after being there for more than one turn )
Wind walking
Regeneration
Purify
Summon demons * 2 (Demon lords have summon demons * 3)
Caster 0 mp (What good is it then?)
Fire, Missiles, Magic and Death immunity
Doombolt spell (No umbrella, tho)
Cause fear spell
Resistance to all
Armor piercing
First strike
Automatic damage ( -> Half of his damage would have been doom damage, i.e. it would have went over each and every armor, hit and resistance check)
Destruction ( -> Causes the target to either make a succesful resistance roll or be disintegrated... This one would have been fun with a few artifacts with high spell save penalties)
Illusion

Even if it would have been quite a good deal, I respectfully declined to keep the game from freezing.
Old March 8, 2001, 18:49   #155
pchang
King

with 11 spell books in Death, you can start with the summon wraiths spell. You can get 1 wraith as soon as you can accumulate 300 manna points. With 1 wraith, I was quickly able to conquer most of arcanus (and defeat 2 enemy wizards on hard level). I just attacked their cities and left monsters, ruins, and nodes alone. It was early enough in the game that the enemy wizards had not developed any really nasty units (like paladins). In addition to taking cities very easily, you leave behind a huge horde of undead troops to guard your new conquests.
Old March 8, 2001, 20:12   #156
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Sorry, a little confused. Basically my options are to:

1) Create a DOS boot disk with the necessary gubbins on it
2) Alter my startup routines to give the equivalent of 1) every time I boot
3) Adjust my Windows boot to enable it to run.

While I could live with the first, I'd rather have the third, but I kind of lost track of what I needed to do for that one. Could you explain again?
Old March 9, 2001, 01:50   #157
Ari Rahikkala
King

Ah, battles of DOS wisdom. Now these I do love .

First, about the boot disk maker: Whatever you might think, CW, it's quite good. Or, would you try to beat this with your configurations:

Modules using memory below 1 MB:

Name Total Conventional Upper Memory
-------- ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
SYSTEM 16,496 (16K) 9,792 (10K) 6,704 (7K)
QEMM386 784 (1K) 784 (1K) 0 (0K)
WBUF 480 (0K) 144 (0K) 336 (0K)
COMMAND 6,256 (6K) 0 (0K) 6,256 (6K)
CTMOUSE 3,440 (3K) 0 (0K) 3,440 (3K)
XMSDSK 688 (1K) 0 (0K) 688 (1K)
CLOAKING 832 (1K) 0 (0K) 832 (1K)
VIDE-CDD 5,024 (5K) 0 (0K) 5,024 (5K)
ZENO 1,120 (1K) 0 (0K) 1,120 (1K)
SETVER 464 (0K) 0 (0K) 464 (0K)
ANSI 4,320 (4K) 0 (0K) 4,320 (4K)
FIX27 192 (0K) 0 (0K) 192 (0K)
SMARTDRV 19,328 (19K) 0 (0K) 19,328 (19K)
MSCDEX 2,608 (3K) 0 (0K) 2,608 (3K)
PERUSE 4,112 (4K) 0 (0K) 4,112 (4K)
REALDEAL 2,240 (2K) 0 (0K) 2,240 (2K)
FCSH 2,688 (3K) 0 (0K) 2,688 (3K)
DZ 1,920 (2K) 0 (0K) 1,920 (2K)
ESCAPE 352 (0K) 0 (0K) 352 (0K)
KILLER 400 (0K) 0 (0K) 400 (0K)
Free 758,928 (741K) 644,544 (629K) 114,384 (112K)

Memory Summary:

Type of Memory Total Used Free
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Conventional 655,360 10,816 644,544
Upper 177,408 63,024 114,384
Reserved 0 0 0
Extended (XMS) 65,817,344 2,591,488 63,225,856
---------------- ----------- ----------- -----------
Total memory 66,650,112 2,665,328 63,984,784

Total under 1 MB 832,768 73,840 758,928

Total Expanded (EMS) 66,174,976 (63M)
Free Expanded (EMS) 63,225,856 (60M)
Largest executable program size 644,528 (629K)
Largest free upper memory block 94,880 (93K)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

Anyway, even if I use Techw0rm, I can't get the sounds to work under DOS (I have SB16, and no auto-detection programs for under DOS), so I have decided to use Windows. But anyway, now my problem is that MoM doesn't detect the EMS for some reason... I could barely get 573K conventional memory under Windows by disabling the side frame of EMS, but seems like the side frame is needed, so I don't know what I can do under Windows.

And yet, just because of looking smart:

- You forgot the lh before smartdrv... Now you don't want a 28K program taking up your conventional memory, do you? (*prays that Smartdrive, which is a HD/floppy/CD read/write buffer manager, doesn't auto-load itself to upper memory*)
- DOS = UMB means that all the DOS stuff outside programs (e.g. global variables, system information) is stored in upper memory, DOS = HIGH means that DOS coordinates the usage of high memory. Note that whatever you do, don't put DOS=SINGLE into config.sys... not that it would damage anything, but you can't use Windows with it .
- I prefer to have BootGUI = 1 , because I mostly use Windows anyway... BTW, if you want to save 512 bytes of hard drive space (or, in some cases, even more!), delete enough of those x's so that your msdos.sys is exactly 1024 bytes. (Now everybody goes and says "Wow, I've just saved half a kilobyte of HD space! Praise LE!)

Again, do not call me a Windows nerd .

(EDIT: Added preformatting tags to part of the post, looks better now)
[This message has been edited by LightEning (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old March 9, 2001, 01:55   #158
Chaos Warrior

erm... I don't know... there IS a reason why I don't load smartdrv into himem... hmm...

Old March 9, 2001, 14:57   #159
pchang
King

getting back to the game, my record time for winning was 1412 (does the game start in the year 1400?) on hard level. This was done using the 11 death book and summon wraith strategy. What is your speed record for winning and how did you do it?
Old March 10, 2001, 01:42   #160
Ari Rahikkala
King

OK, Chowlett, here's the instructions for #3 in nutcase, in fact this is almost the same thing that Andz said:

1. Make backup copies of the files named autoexec.bat and config.sys, they should be on your c:\ directory.

2. Remove everything but the rows containing "himem.sys" and "emm386.exe" from config.sys (Win doesn't work without himem and you need to have upper memory, so you can't just strip everything away) (Note also that if you don't have the game completely on HD, don't delete the rows that refer to the CD driver).

3. If you have MoM completely on HD, delete everything from autoexec.bat. If you don't, don't remove the row that refers to mscdex.exe (or to other CD driver).

4. Pray.

5. Reboot.

6. Execute MoM from Windows.

And if this doesn't work, be a good boy and post here the contents of your autoexec.bat and config.sys - files and we veterans can give more precise instructions.
[This message has been edited by LightEning (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old March 19, 2001, 15:15   #161
Chaos Spawn
Settler

I went to gaming depot to get the version of MoM to download to my HD (with the hopes of running it with a bootdisk - I can't get the CD version to run even with techworm - I get a CD not found file error), and was unable to locate the download version of Master of Magic.
I found Master of Orion in the strategy link, but no MoM.
Then I put Master of Magic in the search field, and only came up with a link to the download version of Colonization.

Any ideas where I might find it?

I think if I can find the HD version I have a good chance of getting it to run with techworm. I am getting my vacation days in April, so now would be the perfect timing... =P.

- Chaos
Old March 19, 2001, 17:20   #162
pchang
King

http://www.redrival.com/lackaff/momrc/download.html
Try looking here.
Old March 19, 2001, 21:24   #163
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 08:16
I downloaded it and finally got it to run, and I am really impressed. I mow realize that the other fantasy strategy games that I liked, such as Warlords III and Heroes of Might and Magic, are merely imitations, and rather poor ones at that. This game is really good. In some ways, the city management and economy systems are better than Civilization. The battle system is great, far surpassing that of every other empire building game I have played to date. Overall, it promises to be a fantastic playing experience.

The only problem was the lack of sound. I have an integrated soundcard that absolutely refuses to work with any DOS-based game. But I recently found and downloaded the MIDI music files, so I can run them in the background while I play. I am playing that music now, simply going down the playlist. This music is good. If you are forced to play without sound due to some settings problem, I highly recommend this tactic.

That said, I'm not doing too well. How am I supposed to expand in the early game? Founding new cities is horribly slow and costly and the space requirement makes it really hard to find a good place to build anyway. All the neutral cities seem to be packed with good units, typically hordes of halberdiers. On Normal diffuculty with Merlin and High Men, I am surrounded with tough cities, tougher lairs, and impossibly tough nodes. My starting units are hopeless, so I have to wait until I build up. I'll send in a hero and several groups of pikemen, and maybe a couple summoned beasts, and they all get clobbered. I wasn't able to do anything but sit in my city until I built up a pack of paladins and beefed them up with spells, and even they eventually got clobbered by a few fire giants in a lair.

I read the manual and FAQ, but they don't help much. How am I supposed to get an empire started?
Old March 21, 2001, 00:28   #164
Richard Bruns
King

Local Time: 08:16
Thanks, pchang.

I must say that I found that Heroism is often quite pointless when you are a Warlord. After a string of battles, I happened to notice that I had several super-elite units that were being "helped" by this spell. Apparently that's a bug in the game; when the units are altered by the Warlord skill, the spells didn't go away on their own like they was supposed to. Since they can easily come out as Veterans and then raise to Elite rather quickly, It seems that the spell points are better used for other things.

Horsebowmen are now my favorite unit. I get to recreate the battle of Carrhae every time I take a city. With careful manouvering, a few of them even took out two Earth Elementals and a horde of War Bears without getting scratched.

I love life magic. My starting spearman was out scouting the map, and it ran across a city defended by only two swordsmen. I pumped him up with spells, charged him in, and added Exeter to my empire. It was actually the first city I took that game.

I have erased another warlord and now control a thriving continent. The only problem is that the two Wizard Towers on that continent each lead to one square islands, so I haven't been able to do anything on Myrror yet.

It seems that this game was a lot nicer than earlier ones. There were several lairs and ruins with nothing in them at all. Maybe I just got unlucky in those first games.

It seems like the best strategy is to start with a race that expands quickly, and capture races that have good late-game units. Most of my cities are High Man. I am almost ready to churn out Paladins from Exteter.
Old March 21, 2001, 01:15   #165
pchang
King

Try using a custom wizard with WARLORD. This gives an immediate boost to your units. In addition, early on, units with ranged attacks are extremely valuable. Highmen units aren't very good except cavalry, pikemen, and paladins. Boost your units with heroism as an Overland spell whenever possible. In fact, boost units with Overland spells whenever possible instead of boosting them in combat. As an alternative, try starting as Nomads and using horsebowmen. Also, don't worry about boosting the tax rate. Population unhappiness in this game does not have very severe consequences (compared to civilization). Marshall law always works. 2 units pacify 1 unhappy citizen.
Old March 21, 2001, 11:18   #166
Chaos Spawn
Settler

Thanks for that site address pchang, I downloaded the HD version last night, got it unzipped, and installed.
Now I am going to go back to techworm to make a new boot disk (erased the last in frustration).
You will know if I am sucessful, because you won't see me post for at least 6 months (it is hard to find the time to post when MoM is in the house =P).

-Chaos
Old March 21, 2001, 14:23   #167
pchang
King

Do not overlook the 11 death book strategy. Just sit in your town accumulating manna until you can summon a wraith (adjust magic slider bars to boost manna at the expense of research and spell casting). This one unit can take over just about any town you find (even an enemy wizard's home city). In addition, you leave behind a ready made horde of undead defenders. BTW, undead settlers don't do anything and undead summoned creatures cost a lot of extra manna to support. Might as well disband them. Lastly, because wraiths fly, you can go anywhere with them.

PS
Richard,
Get animist guild, and military building until you can build fantastic stable. This will allow you to build the griffin unit. Since this unit can fly, you will be able to attack Myrror with them.
PPS
Richard,
Life magic gives you a planar travel spell which will allow you to send a stack from Arcanus to its corresponding spot on Myrror and vice versa.
[This message has been edited by pchang (edited March 21, 2001).]
Old March 21, 2001, 15:32   #168
Chaos Spawn
Settler

GAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Ok, here is my present situation (with the techworm bootdisk).

I can't run the game from cd because i get the unable to locate cd error.

I can't run the game even using the download version that is entirely on my HD with techworm, here is what happened:

I tried the Custom Startup with mouse support, cloaking, no TSR's, no CD support, and the rest were yes (can't remember all of em), got to the A: prompt, switched to C:, then tried to cd to my game's directory for the exe file, and got the message that the game was causing divide overflow (I know that DZ.com on the techworm is supposed to fix that, but i don't know how to load it after the custom startup.

Then i tried to do the step by step startup and after many attempts (trial and error on what to load) i get to the a prompt, then switch to c, and try to cd to the directory for the exe command, and i get the bad file name reply (or whatever dos calls it). As a matter of fact, i can't get any file name to work at this point - i even tried to /dir my c drive, and got a buncha gibberish -fonts that i have never seen the likes of before -( this is with the step by step setup)...

I admit, I have a rudimentary understanding of MSDOS at best, so please try not to choke on your Doritos while reading about my feeble attemps to do this.

I AM NOT GIVING UP THIS TIME!!

Any ideas?

-Chaos
[This message has been edited by Chaos Spawn (edited March 21, 2001).]
Old March 21, 2001, 15:51   #169
pchang
King

There is a lot of good advice on page 4 of this thread. For configuring DOS to run this game.
[This message has been edited by pchang (edited March 21, 2001).]
Old March 21, 2001, 17:24   #170
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
MY advice
Old March 23, 2001, 04:13   #171
Ari Rahikkala
King

OK, the resident MoM expert returns ...

pchang: Yep, it is good if you want a VERY guick conquest, but ever tried 11 life books? Choose "incarnation" spell from the start, and preferably high elves as your race. You get at least 12 mana/turn right from the beginning, and so it doesn't take a very long time to summon Torin. Then give him heroism, and when you get more mana intake, bless and endurance. After that, just ravage every place you can with him. In the beginning he isn't as quick as the wraiths but he is pretty much the ultimate fighter unit in the game. After a while you will get some nice artifacts, and perhaps even flight spell: Speed 10, flying. 50 attack in battles. Kills stackfuls of great drakes easily.

Spawn: Write: DZ /Install . The problem is, the program rarely works, so don't count on it. But i don't know what is going on if you get gibberish when using dir. Try writing "dir c: > dir.txt" and spying the file from Windows, it could be of some help. And of course, because I have never seen a dir command giving out gibberish before, I'd like to see what the gibberish looks like .

BTW, this thread should be closed...
Old March 23, 2001, 04:17   #172
Ari Rahikkala
King

pchang: Yep, it is good if you want a VERY guick conquest, but ever tried 11 life books? Choose "incarnation" spell from the start, and preferably high elves as your race. You get at least 12 mana/turn right from the beginning, and so it doesn't take a very long time to summon Torin. Then give him heroism, and when you get more mana intake, bless and endurance. After that, just ravage every place you can with him. In the beginning he isn't as quick as the wraiths but he is pretty much the ultimate fighter unit in the game. After a while you will get some nice artifacts, and perhaps even flight spell: Speed 10, flying. 50 attack in battles. Kills stackfuls of great drakes easily.

Spawn: Write: DZ /Install . The problem is, the program rarely works, so don't count on it. But i don't know what is going on if you get gibberish when using dir. Try writing "dir c: > dir.txt" and spying the file from Windows, it could be of some help. And of course, because I have never seen a dir command giving out gibberish before, I'd like to see what the gibberish looks like .

Old March 23, 2001, 04:22   #173
Ari Rahikkala
King

Old March 23, 2001, 04:27   #174
Ari Rahikkala
King