Old March 25, 2001, 21:58   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ1 OCC game
While waiting to reinstall civ2 and the rest on my other hard drive (I'm waiting to find out if it can be recovered) I discovered I still have civ for windows installed on my first HD! Yay!
so I played a game of OCC, just to try it out.

it's a bit difficult. the only specials for trade are gold and gems, and I couldn't find any, so I settled for fish and horses (wish I could have got 3)
even with collossus, copernicus, and Issac, with library and university, I couldn't get my light bulbs above 200.
even so, (playing at chieftain) I had advances every other turn, was building my spaceship when I started reseaching future tech, and landed on AC in 1864.
meanwhile, the russians conquered the rest of the world and my spies reported they discovered feudalism just before my ship landed. my ironclad I sent over to explore found sails, chariots, and phalanxes.

I suppose that if I want to do it on higher levels, I'll have to be closer to and enemy, so I can use my caravans for science boosts.in this game, they hung outside my city, waiting for a wonder to begin.
Old March 26, 2001, 11:28   #2
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 09:17
I used to play only OCC in the early game (on chieftain) and found cities later, because it's easier and less stressing... of course, that first city was always home to one or two chariots to take out nasty neighbours

I'll have another try today, now that you reminded me of CIV and the CIV feeling
Old March 27, 2001, 01:13   #3
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:17
Cool!
Just finished my second game of civ1 OCC. on prince level this time. by myself until the AD, then contact across the isthmus with evryone else.
used a bunch of those caravans I built up between wonders to set good trade routes. had some science boost,but not as much as I would have thought. Dang zulus and french kept intruding on me at the end, but managed to launch in 1997 for a 2003 landing.

this time I hunted around and found a good gems-horses site, and my top science was at 254! not like the 834 I've gotten in civ2 OCC games, but not bad. didn't actually set my but down until 3820 BC, looking for that site.

has anyone got a 3 special site in civ1?