Old April 12, 2001, 14:04   #1
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trade Wars 2002
Anyone here remember Trade Wars 2002? It was an old ANSI BBS door that was written about ten years ago. It revolves around space trading and was one of the first real "multiplayer" games I can remember. IMHO, it's quite a lot of fun to play.

I ask because TW2002 now has a client-server version and Firaxis has picked up a license. I was considering putting a server up for public use, but wanted to find out how many folks would be interested in a primarily text-based, space trading type of game. If there is enough interest, I'll get it set up and get everyone more information on how to access it.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old April 12, 2001, 16:07   #2
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 01:18
I used to play that! It was pretty cool. I'd play it again. As long the SYSOPS don't cheat and whack me each night like they used to in the old days
Old April 12, 2001, 19:45   #3
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by Garth Vader on 04-12-2001 04:07 PM
I used to play that! It was pretty cool. I'd play it again. As long the SYSOPS don't cheat and whack me each night like they used to in the old days

It'd be totally on the up and up... =) The new architecture of the game allows a bunch of people to telnet in and play simultaneously, so the game is at a much faster pace.

Anyone else even remotely interested??

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old April 12, 2001, 20:44   #4
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I'm at least curious, though I have to say I've never played, or heard of it for that matter, but if it's strategy, I'm always interested.

John-SJ
Old April 12, 2001, 21:23   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 03:18
I dug up some info for you guys. I believe this is what Dan is talking about:

quote:

Trade Wars 2002 has been around almost as long as the BBS itself. Over the years, it has remained a favorite among BBSers around the world. The game has changed through the years, from the early days of single-player play to the multiplayer action of the Major BBS version to this current version, the multiplayer DOS door that runs on nearly any (and EVERY) BBS. And thanks to advances in BBS software and the Internet, games that were once limited to local dial-up have turned into competitions between players from all over the world.

I decided to "borrow" this introduction from one of the literally thousands of games running out there.

A "Man on the Street" Introduction to Trade Wars

Welcome to Trade Wars 2002! This will prove to be a very challenging game for you. This is not your average shoot 'em up graphics intensive game, though it has become the most popular local BBS games, and now one of the most popular internet MUD (Multi User Domain) games in existence. The premise is simple. Survive, build up, and conquer.

This game, as I have already implied, is not by any means graphics intensive. There is some animation, but it’s largely text. This will at first probably turn most avid gamers off. Most games today try to make a name for themselves by stretching technology. This game stretches you. You'll need a good head for military strategy, you'll need to know how to make friends out of potential enemies, and you'll need to know how to keep a good flow of money coming in to your operation.

When you start off you will be given a small, well rounded, commercial trading ship, a planet, and a little bit of money. You'll want to go from port to port, buying and selling Fuel Ore, Organics, and Equipment, trying to make a profit so you can buy a better ship, more cargo space, and military equipment. Once you have enough resources, you can turn yourself into a purely military operation. Though some try to do this on their own, the best route is to form a corporation and take the universe as a team.

As with most MUD games, you may choose (by the deeds you do) whether you are good, or evil. Both sides have particular advantages, and both will allow you ways of making it to the top. Again, as with most MUD games, you will not simply enter the universe and start shooting... not if you're smart anyway. Usually, the best way to get killed on your first day is to go around threatening people, attacking a starport, and antagonizing Ferrengi and Aliens. You'll develop your ship, yourself, and your planet somewhat slowly at first, and then gain momentum.

The universe is laid out in individual sectors, you can move from one to the other by typing in the sector number to which you wish to move. The sectors connect with one another like a web, and it is best to find some dead end sector somewhere in which to hide. If you are a good trader, then you can find limited security in Fedspace. This is space (sectors 1-10 and Stardock) policed by federal agents (you will meet them, and know this... they are indestructible). Here, if you have less than 100 fighters on hand, you can stay the night without ever worrying if someone is going to hurt you.

Certainly sounds interesting. Dan, if you set it up and give us more details, there might be a sizeable group that would form.
Old April 13, 2001, 10:09   #6
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I never played the original, but this sounds interesting...
Old April 13, 2001, 17:59   #7
tniem
King

Count me in as interested.
Old April 14, 2001, 11:24   #8
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 08:18
I guess I can't play since I have a mac
Too bad, it seems very interesting
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited April 14, 2001).]
Old April 14, 2001, 11:48   #9
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 09:18
A game? Mainly text? This will be an interesting sidestep to the Interactive Fiction I normally play so count me in
Old April 14, 2001, 14:47   #10
Zealot
King

I'm interested! I always loved strategy games! But i never conected to Telnet. I don't make the slightest idea about wat is BBS either. But I'm willing to learn! Go for it, Dan!
Old April 14, 2001, 20:15   #11
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:18
Count me in - we could have an Apolyton Corporation!
Old April 14, 2001, 23:15   #12
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Umm...
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...708152,00.html
Old April 15, 2001, 00:04   #13
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 04-14-2001 11:24 AM
I guess I can't play since I have a mac
Too bad, it seems very interesting
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited April 14, 2001).]

Actually, anyone can play as long as they have an internet connection... you either need a telnet client that supports ANSI graphics, or a browser that can do java (we have a java applet that works nicely also).

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old April 15, 2001, 00:49   #14
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

In that case:
How do I conect whit Telnet
Computer and port?
Old April 15, 2001, 02:57   #15
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 01:18
I've got the regcodes for both Gold and regular TW2002, as well as the server software, but have been spending my time playing on another friends' server.

You guys may be interested in SWATH, a great client for TW2002. It makes everything that much easier, as it has scripting support. A lot of the good features require registration (either that, or some l33t skillz :P)

Also: For those of you in Win9x, you may enjoy a small telnet client that actually supports ANSI coloring (makes it much more enjoyable). Just download this really small DOS telnet program: http://www.glonk.org/telnet.exe. If you want, hit ALT-ENTER in the DOS Prompt and it'll go full-screen. I think it's better than the Windows 9x default...

Edit: Forgot to mention the addy of the place I play. Telnet to yayislife.dhs.org, port 2002.
[This message has been edited by Glonk (edited April 15, 2001).]
Old April 15, 2001, 05:01   #16
MarkG

sounds good Dan! go for it!
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited April 15, 2001).]

Old April 15, 2001, 10:19   #17
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
I don't think I have played Trade War 2002, but in the bad old days of timesharing, I used to play a similar game on a VAX cluster.

Does anybody remembers a game just like Trade War where the players fly around systems trading, but there's also a war in the background between humans and a race called Thigold (or something like that)? It was a pretty good game.

BTW, I'll be interested.
Old April 16, 2001, 08:07   #18
Bflo Jack
Settler

Local Time: 00:18
I remember a game called VGA Planets that was very similar. It was a turn-based game where you colonized planets and extracted the ore from each planet for trade. Would be interested in getting into this game also. I'm not much of a web-board writer/reader, but I saw the link from the newsletter and gave it a try.

Please include me in any communication about playing a game!

-Jack
-bflojack@aol.com
Old April 17, 2001, 00:09   #19
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 00:18
Well Dan, I play Earth 2025 and that is a text-based game...so sure, I'm willing to give it a go!
Old April 18, 2001, 22:03   #20
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Ok, I think the server is set up and good to go. Have a look at the following URL:

http://www.firaxis.com/fun/tw2002

I intend to add a bunch of supplemental materials up there, including instructions and background on the game and why I think it's such a great game (to me it's the Nethack of space/trading games). But for now it gives you a way to get into the game. I've also set this page up to display current ranking of players, so you can come here to see how everyone is doing.

You can, of course, telnet directly into the server by telnetting to firaxis.com (port 2002), but if you aren't using a 100% ANSI-compatible telnet client it'll look pretty nasty and you should use the java applet we have.

So take a look and let me know if you have any questions or comments. I'll see you in space!

When you log in initially, enter the name you want to be known by in the game. Also don't forget your password, you'll need it to re-enter the game later.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.
Old April 18, 2001, 22:52   #21
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
The Mondragon Corporation Cooperativa should make a showing
Old April 19, 2001, 06:11   #22
MarkG

i only got a username prompt, not a password one...

Old April 19, 2001, 07:02   #23
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 04-19-2001 06:11 AM
i only got a username prompt, not a password one...

You don't get prompted for a password until you join a game for the first time and create a player in that game. So if you just read the helpfile, for example, you never created a "player" in a game, and thus don't need any password.

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old April 19, 2001, 07:53   #24
MarkG

Times Blown up: 1

Old April 19, 2001, 16:40   #25
Marko Polo

Aargh, shared MarkG's destiny.. Thankfully they payed enough for my puny escape pod that I could buy a new ship.

I really enjoyed playing this game 7-8 years ago and I still do.

Old April 19, 2001, 18:58   #26
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I have a prblem.... Java doesn't work with my Internet Explorer for some reason, and I can't telnet in.... It just says that I can't connect to firaxis.com

Could anyone give me a hand?
Old April 19, 2001, 20:04   #27
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

quote:

Originally posted by Shadowstrike on 04-19-2001 06:58 PM
I have a prblem.... Java doesn't work with my Internet Explorer for some reason, and I can't telnet in.... It just says that I can't connect to firaxis.com

Could anyone give me a hand?

What telnet client are you using? It's probably not connecting on the correct port number, it needs to be port 2002. If you're using the standard Win95/98 telnet program, replace the word "telnet" in the port drop-down box with the number "2002", and set www.firaxis.com as the host name.

Unfortunately the default win95/98 telnet client is awful and doesn't do ANSI graphics well at all... I think Glonk had posted a small client program he said works well tho..

Dan
Firaxis Games, Inc.

Old April 19, 2001, 20:22   #28
Shadowstrike
Emperor

I can get on now, but every time I try to enter a name, I get 2 letters when I hit a key.... Anyway to avoid this?
Old April 19, 2001, 20:42   #29
John-SJ
Emperor

Shadowstrike,

On whatever client you are using, look for the options menu (or settings, or whatever) and set echo (or local echo) to off. On the default windows client this is found in the Terminal->Preferences menu.

John-SJ
Old April 19, 2001, 21:02   #30
John-SJ
Emperor

I looked at the gameplay instructions for TW2002, they are LONG! Is there a downloadable/printable version of the instructions available? I hate long stints of reading at my computer.

BTW Shadowstrike, if you want to use the Java version to connect go to your IE Tools->Options menu, select the Advanced tab, scroll down to the "Microsoft VM" topic and enable the 3 Java check boxes. Quit and restart your browser and you should be set to go.

John-SJ