Old April 13, 2001, 14:49   #1
tniem
King

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sid + Will?
Both Firaxis and Maxis have confirmed that legends Sid Meier and Will Wright are working together in some way on a game due out at the end of the year.

Anyone have any idea on what it is?

Since the confirmation is on The Sims sight I figured it must have something to do with The Sime, either The Sims Online or The Sims Live. Either way, this type of game just doesn't seem like the normal Sidesque game.

On a side note, Firaxis had a deal with EA to publish three games. SMG and SMAC would be one and two. SM Dinos would have been game three and meant that there would be no legal trouble with Civ III. Could Sid working with Maxis (Maxis' publisher is EA) be a way to acknowledge the contract? What would these two great minds be working on?

Any comments?
Old April 13, 2001, 15:33   #2
SerapisIV
King

I've never heard any info about Maxis' old project SimMars, even the webpage was taken down, though I never heard a cancellation announcement. Could that be it?
Old April 13, 2001, 15:47   #3
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 30, 2010
You may have something there Serapis, IIRC they announced that it would be "delayed indefinitely". That would be cool! SimMars sounded like a great concept!

John-SJ
Old April 13, 2001, 19:51   #4
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I know about it, can't say anything yet though. I'm making a web site for it right now. If anyone wants to help they can just post right here or e-mail me.
Old April 13, 2001, 19:56   #5
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Actually...I could let one thing slip...

Its a Black & White killer.
Old April 14, 2001, 14:19   #6
SerapisIV
King

It's Color?
Old April 14, 2001, 16:06   #7
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well, yes, but I ment that it will be basically the only game coming out this year that will be able to beat the game Black and White in number of awards won.
Old April 15, 2001, 18:01   #8
tniem
King

quote:

Originally posted by Apocalypse on 04-14-2001 04:06 PM
Well, yes, but I ment that it will be basically the only game coming out this year that will be able to beat the game Black and White in number of awards won.

I would have to disagree with this. My belief is that Sid + Will = a traditional game that we have all seen before. On the other hand B&W is one of the most original games I have seen in a long time. Black and White I believe will dominate the awards given out this year as it should.
Old April 15, 2001, 18:52   #9
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well B&W isn't that original. There have been god games before it such as Populus. This game just adds good/bad decisions and gives you a creature, which is a very unoriginal thing to have in a game right now. Also, if you notice, there are many reviewers who strongly dislike the game, this might change once more bugs are fixed though.

Furthermore, even though you might not consider this game very original (unlike The Sims, Dinosaurs, etc), it still has a good chance at getting many awards as the concept is good and reviewers like to suck up to Sid and Will even more than they do Peter.
Old April 15, 2001, 20:09   #10
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:18
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The only really original thing about B&W is the creature. Other than that it's just Populous and Dungeon Keeper in the same game. i.e. B&W = Populous + Dungeon Keeper + new creature AI.

Shouldn't be too hard to top, IMO, especially with Sid + Will working on it.

John-SJ
Old April 16, 2001, 00:25   #11
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
Long long time ago during the good old days of DOS, there was a gamed called Moonbase (or something like that). The object of the game was to build a sustainable base on the moon.

That game was full of bugs but it was a lot of fun to play. It was sort of like SimCity on the moon.

Could SimMars be similar?
Old April 16, 2001, 00:27   #12
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
Could the creature be taken from nethack? Afterall, this game has been around for the longest time and the player gets a pet in the game.
Old April 19, 2001, 13:50   #13
Rex Little
Prince

Local Time: 07:18
quote:

Long long time ago during the good old days of DOS, there was a gamed called Moonbase (or something like that). The object of the game was to build a sustainable base on the moon.
By any chance are you referring to Lunar Command? I think I still have that one tucked away in my closet. IIRC, I tried it once, built way too many habitat modules (or whatever they called them) and went broke as soon as the bills came due.

Old April 19, 2001, 15:17   #14
Ceci n'est pas Snapcase

Er, wouldn't the Creature come from Creatures?

Old April 23, 2001, 00:01   #15
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 00:18
personally, I'm hoping the proposed game will be a simmars that's actually a colonization update.
now THAT would be cool