Old May 21, 2001, 19:41   #31
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 02:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
All SimGolf is is SimCountry Club with Sid Meier doing some playtesting and early design work, and then his name added for increased sales. It's a Maxis game with Sid getting his name attached for thinking of the game. Besides as the Gamespot preview said, its a small little game, not a huge concept like Civ of the Sims. It's a game just begging to be bargain-binned after the initial release period where people who will buy anything with Sid Meier or Sim in the title run out and buy it.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but SimGolf is definitely Sid's game. He's the lead programmer as well as the designer. And while the game certainly doesn't cover as much ground as Civ, it is by no means "a small little game". It's a classic Sid design in that it's easy to pick up but very, very deep if you want to go there.

Dan
Old May 22, 2001, 22:14   #32
tniem
King

Dan,

Want to give us any juicy tidbits not in the magazines?
Old May 24, 2001, 21:20   #33
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 19:19
E3 award
SimGolf just won an E3 award so I guess it might be worth checking out. When's the demo?
Old May 29, 2001, 14:39   #34
MBloomIII
Prince

I'm looking forward to the release of SimGolf. As a casual golfer I think it would be fun to design your own course. And if Sid has a strong hand in development, all the decisions you make should be very important. Tree placement, pin length, sand traps, water hazards, and all the other little details that go into designing a hole will be fun. And if you get to 'play' the course afterwards, that would be a bit of icing. Remember, the sport of golf has never been bigger than it is right now. (Thank you Tiger Woods) And almost any game simulation has a good shot at selling well. Throw Sid into the mix and actually make it challenging and complex and you appeal to the thinking aspect of the players. Should be interesting to see how well the game does.