Old May 20, 2001, 13:38   #1
Zkribbler
Deity

Local Time: 00:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Merchant Prince II
Once upon a time, there was the never-popular "Merchant Prince." But the wise makers changed its name to "Machiavelli, the Prince" and it was named stategy game of the year, and it became Zkribbler's favorite game of all time.

Then came the dark days of Windows 95, and all the great MOS-DOS games were put on the shelf to gather dust. However, the wise makers have finally gotten off their royal duffs and have re-released "Machiavelli, the Prince" in a version that can be played on Windows 95/98/Me.

The idiots in marketing have decided to resurrect the never-popular name of "Merchant Prince," and they have put a demo game that is really boring because it omits the best parts of the game and have made it nearly impossible to win.

Nonetheless, I played the demo last night, just to make sure the game was the same. The only thing the game appears to have added is a tech tree. I couldn't find the icon to push to build mansions, to buy art, and to throw parties, but I know it's there somewhere because one of my computer opponents built himself a mansion. (Yeah, I shudda gone to the Den of Eniquity and hired an arsonist to burn it down.)

So I'm off this morning to buy myself a copy!!

Soon, I'll be exploring the world, bringing back religious artifacts and precious commodities, bribing senators, buying off cardinals, spreading slanders, embezzling money from the treasury of Venice, and perhaps even assassinating the Pope.
Old May 20, 2001, 16:50   #2
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 07:20
Being the cheapskate that I am , and liking generally to try before I buy, I picked up the original game from the Underdogs site. It's DOS only, but complains that...

"You need 512k SVGA available. Try loading VESA drivers"

Or something very similar. Anyone got any ideas how to make it work?
Old May 20, 2001, 21:27   #3
The Rusty Gamer
Prince

Local Time: 19:20
I had a little play with the demo, couldn't believe the outdated graphics, and couldn't figure out how to play it anyway since I've never played the original. Doesn't seem worth the bother. Can someone persuade me otherwise?

------------------
"If you post something often enough, people will start to read it"
[This message has been edited by Russell (edited May 20, 2001).]
Old May 20, 2001, 22:18   #4
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Point of fact, Underdogs mentions the new version as well. They give it a storming review, granting it a Top Dog award, and saying "two thumbs up". Interestingly, however, the user rating is only about 5.4 out of 10.
Old May 20, 2001, 23:15   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 15:20
quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 05-20-2001 04:50 PM
Being the cheapskate that I am , and liking generally to try before I buy, I picked up the original game from the Underdogs site. It's DOS only, but complains that...

"You need 512k SVGA available. Try loading VESA drivers"

Or something very similar. Anyone got any ideas how to make it work?

You probably have a graphics card so new that the game wouldn't know anything about. Remember in the good old days of DOS the game must know how to work with the hardware directly. Go to the Website of the card maker and see if they have any VESA drivers for DOS.
[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited May 20, 2001).]
Old May 21, 2001, 01:59   #6
Zkribbler
Deity

quote:

Originally posted by Russell on 05-20-2001 09:27 PM
couldn't believe the outdated graphics, and couldn't figure out how to play it

You're right on both accounts. The graphics have improved little since the original--in some ways I like the old graphis better. And without rules, it's a really tough game to figure out.

The other bad thing about the demo is that it ends after only 15 years. That only gives you enough time to do some trading and a little exploring, two of the more mundane aspects of the game.

When the game starts getting exciting is when you get enough money to start bribing senators and buying cardinals. Getting elected Doge of Venice and/or Pope (via your puppets) is a real kick in the head. As Doge, you can appoint yourself Council Head and start hanging opposing senators for treason. As Pope, you can call a crusade and go kick the snot out of some city that won't trade with you. Then there's the assassinations, the slanders and some occastional arson.

Currently, I'm 50 turns into a 60-turn game. I have Michelanglo designing some artwork for my villa. I'm Doge, and I control the entire Council of 10 in the Senate having used bribery, claims of treason and assassination to eliminate all rivals. I control more cardinals than any other player, but I have nowhere near a majority. I'm hoping my popularity will bring in enough votes to get me elected when the current Pope dies.
[This message has been edited by Zkribbler (edited May 21, 2001).]
Old May 21, 2001, 05:37   #7
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 05-20-2001 11:15 PM

You probably have a graphics card so new that the game wouldn't know anything about. Remember in the good old days of DOS the game must know how to work with the hardware directly. Go to the Website of the card maker and see if they have any VESA drivers for DOS.
[This message has been edited by Urban Ranger (edited May 20, 2001).]

Thanks UR. Neither Creative nor Nvidia list DOS/VESA drivers for my Creative Blaster GeForce 2 GTS (why do they have to have such long names), but I emailed Creative tech support just in case.
Old May 23, 2001, 04:48   #8
Ari Rahikkala
King

Local Time: 10:20
univbe
Chowlett: You can also try the univbe, universal VESA driver. Try picking it up from http://jason-n3xt.org/dos/ (it's in the TechW0rm bootdisk). I hope it works.
This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand
Old May 23, 2001, 05:28   #9
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Thanks LightEning, I'll give that a go. Creative emailed back with a wonderfully concise email, the entirety of which was:

"Dear Customer

There is no VESA drivers for that model.

Best Regards
Timo
Tech Support
Creative Labs"

Glad to see they get taught grammar as well....
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old May 24, 2001, 01:40   #10
Zkribbler
Deity

Ah, my first game is over.

After 50 turns, one of my rivals got elected pope. Luckily, he was a greedy son-of-a-gun. In each of his first two years, he sold six new cardinalships. So guess who bought them? Meanwhile, I was busy researching poison.

Suddenly, the pope is assassinated. Nobody knows who did it. <- me However, when it comes to electing a replacement pope, guess who now controls the majority of cardinals and thus gets elected.

So at the end of this 60-turn game, my faction controls the Pope, most of the College of Cardinals, the Doge, the complete Counsel of 10, and the admiral. Plus, my popularity rating is a solid 95%. I score a 127%.

Last edited by Zkribbler; May 26, 2001 at 00:02.
Old May 24, 2001, 07:49   #11
Urban Ranger
Deity

Chowlett,

That's why it's good to have some really old hardware sitting around, preferably assembled in the form of a DOS machine.
Old June 2, 2001, 18:10   #12
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Argh, stupid cookies, stopping me post. Thanks Dan for fixing it!

But anyway - yes, an old graphics card would be quite useful now and again. I suppose I could stick one in a spare slot if I got my hands on one...
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old June 3, 2001, 12:09   #13
Urban Ranger
Deity

There are a couple of local computer shops look like junkyards. They probably got some stuff that can go into museums
Old June 15, 2001, 18:16   #14
Phssthpok
Settler

I don't think the video detection is any better in the new version.
When I start the game it just locks up - and looking at error.txt I just get:

Failed video RAM requirement test: 640x480 and only 1039872 meg available
Failed video RAM requirement test: 800x600 and only 1039872 meg available
Failed video RAM requirement test: 1024x768 and only 1039872 meg available
No valid video modes detected!

Wow ! 1 Gig video memeory and it STILL wont run?
Hardware requirements sure are stiff these days...
Old June 15, 2001, 20:13   #15
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 23:20
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Phsst,

You're mistaken I'm afraid. That's 1,039 Gig and it still won't run! Not that it matters...

John-SJ
Old June 20, 2001, 16:00   #16
Phssthpok
Settler

Sorry, my mistake.
BTW I did get it running by turning down the hardware acceleration - but then my TV card wouldn't overlay and the picture quality dropped to something like a bad MPEG. Sigh.

( Thinking about this further it must be 1015.5 Gigs )
Old June 26, 2001, 18:40   #17
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 08:20
I used to play the Dos version on Windows 95 but I wouldn't be surprised if it is unusable on W2K. The game was great fun multiplayer but a lucky start could horribly unbalance the game (like finding holy relics). I would not want to play the old version single player ever again and certainly wouldn't pay money to get a Windows version that looks as bad as the replacement. They really must have tried very hard to get graphics to look that dated in this day and age. Very disappointing considering the potential that was there for creating another classic, for once focussing on victory through trade and politics more than through warfare.
Old June 27, 2001, 12:03   #18
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

So what is this game? Just a windows version for Machavelli: The Prince, not truly an upgrade?

I have looked at the game on store shelves and the two look remarkably alike.

(p.s. I did like Machavelli [the original game])
Old July 1, 2001, 11:36   #19
Phssthpok
Settler

Apart from a new research option, yes it's basicly just a Windows version with new graphics. The research is just a mail order sort of thing, ie you pays your money and gets the tech next turn. It's got some cool ideas (cheaper bribes, increased defence etc) but otherwise it's just a pain - you only start with small galley + donkey caravan and have to pay for the other ships. (still get a small cog to start with tho, wierd...) IMO the music + sound in the original is much better.
Old July 2, 2001, 13:35   #20
pchang
King

I remeber the old DOS game. The idea was good, but it got kind of boring after a while. You just sat around watching all your trade routes move about.

If social security were private, it would be prosecuted as a Ponzi scheme.