Old May 23, 1999, 16:15   #1
tfs99
Warlord

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Sure, you can give any techs you want to whomever you want with the S.E.

SMAC n ... Ted S.
Old May 24, 1999, 00:16   #2
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 02:39
I have a question.
Sorry to post a SP question in multiplayer but I know all the really smart folk pass thru here.

I have only used the Scenario editor to customize SP games played from the start. Would it be possible to set up a game wherein all factions had about 50% of the techs at the beginning of the game?

The problem is that I never seem to have any reason to use advanced units vs the AI cause they are generally defeated by or before chaos/shard weaps or so. I would like to see if the AI could fight better (or at all) with more advanced tech.

Is this doable? Also, if anyone has already set up such a scenario, could I have it?
Old May 24, 1999, 02:52   #3
MariOne
King

Local Time: 09:39
Too bad it has to be made tech by tech and fac by fac

- ScEd complaint #n (very big n)
Old May 24, 1999, 04:59   #4
cousLee
Prince

The only problem with that, is if there is not sufficent energy being produced to go along with all the tech you start with, you may find your first tech will not be discovered for 100+ turns. which causes battles on equal terms all around. this is the same thing you run into when everyone has impact weapons, you'll just be doing the same thing only with stronger weapons and armour. The AI uses the same tactics with the better weapons from what I have found.
Old May 24, 1999, 09:58   #5
Goob
Warlord

Local Time: 07:39
Though the intelligent ones have already answered, ...

I will agree with cousLee, If you just want the fund (Freudian Slip? read fun) of Shard weapons, or Hovertanks, or bigger engines then go for it.

My opinion though is that the struggle with the S.Editor is not worth the bang you get because you still have a stupid AI.

Now if you want to give chaos weapons and Silksteel armor to the AI and then start from scratch yourself, then you may have built a challenge.

Goob

[This message has been edited by Goob (edited May 24, 1999).]
Old May 24, 1999, 13:15   #6
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Well then, what about doing it as a multiplayer PBEM scenario? Would that be interesting to any of you guys?

Do you expect the ongoing PBEM games to be quick conquest or do you think we might see some interesting fights with advanced tech down the road?

Of course, my games will not last long, unless I decide to sandbag.......

Thanks for your thoughts! I guess I am just pissed about the hopeless AI. I doubt they will do any better with Civ3.
Old May 24, 1999, 13:24   #7
tfs99
Warlord

Local Time: 00:39
The thing I find aggravating (and the feeling has been growing little by little), is that the AI is no challenge (even with high level cheats) and the direct IP MP is so slow. Thus you can't find good competition except for the accelerated PBEM games.

While I am not putting that idea down, it always feels like I am playing in molasses and even then only two of the seven games I am playing now are moving at a "high" rate of speed and one of those I am subbing for Nell!!

What's a SMACer to do? <sniff> <whine>

SMAC oooooooooooooooonnnnnn ... Ted S.

[This message has been edited by tfs99 (edited May 24, 1999).]
Old May 24, 1999, 13:51   #8
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I agree. This "Clash of the Civs" thing is promising an AI that can be turned up like a chess program, even letting the AI think in suspended mode. More time = better AI tactics. Maybe better strategy. They claim that Firaxis could do this but won't because it slows the game down and therefore is not suitable for the commercial market.

We will see what we will see. I hear the AI in IMP II is killer. Even Brian said he was interested in that game. I have it but have not loaded it yet.

I digress. Sorry.