Local Date: October 31, 2010
Turns of AXT002 game in Apolyton SMACX Tournament
The players of this game:
Old January 19, 2000, 03:18   #2
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Local Time: 07:43
Hasn't Kinjiru been blessed with the best possible setup for his fraction? This will certainly be an interesting game.
Old January 19, 2000, 05:01   #3
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Woo, our turns ended up in some kind of time zone order.
An idea that I shamelessly stole from another thread: If we can coordinate it, then we should try to be online at the same time, maybe set up and ICQ chat (or use some other chat environ) and play as many turns as we can before I and hygum topple over snoring on our keyboards. That way we get off to a faster start. (Depends on how slow the email connections are over the atlantic off course... Is Rocketmail as slow as Hotmail? (I know it takes my email about a minute to reach an average american univeristy, but it takes my mail about three hours to reach a hotmail account.)

Old January 19, 2000, 10:58   #4
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 09:43
Note: please be aware that the faction graphics may not be correct when you load this game, because of a bug. The game will use the graphics of the factions that are listed in your Alpha Centauri.ini file. I have tried to minimize the problem by putting each faction in its most natural slot:

1. Cyborgs (standard SMACX Cyborg slot)
3. University (standard SMAC University slot)
4. Data Angels (standard SMACX Angels slot)
6. Caretakers (standard SMACX Caretaker slot)
7. Usurpers (standard SMACX Usurper slot)

So if the last game you started was an ordinary SMACX game, only the University will have the wrong graphics (they will look like the Drones).

If you want to make sure you get the correct graphics, you need to start a new game with these factions in the correct slot and then exit it, then play your turn. You can then save the .ini file somewhere else and copy it back when it is your turn again. Of course, if you have not started any other new games in the meantime, it will work fine.

Sorry about this but there is nothing I can do about it. It happens in all SMACX scenarios (including the Ultimate Builder Challenge).
Old January 20, 2000, 03:59   #5
Lord Maxwell
Prince

The University faculty and students landed safely on the island that our falling pod had found us. From what we could gather from the crashed pod we built an impressive first colony and immediately set out to found others. We found several landmarks and strange occurences in and around the crashed supply pods. Due to the delicate data these are, and will remain, classified.

OOC: I could see the entire world during my turn. (The scenario editor was alive when I launched it.) I looked only at my island, and sent a copy to Tau Ceti to show that I hadn't tampered. (I forgot my password on the first try. *sigh* So I had to check my mail again and then log back on.)
If you want to we can restart. Or we could keep going and see if the problem is gone next turn.
Old January 20, 2000, 08:16   #6
Lord Maxwell
Prince

Hi!

Our game should really be restarted, the scenario editor was still open when I opened my turn. (Has it been open for you two guys as well?)
And I'd like to see some postings on the adminstration thread about our game as it progresses. (Esp posts about why I get warnings about you playing your turns extra times, last time it said Kinjiru could have done 2 extra saves/loads in his game. Not that I suspect foul play, but an explanation would be really nice.)

Could you set a restart up for tonight TC?

Old January 20, 2000, 08:49   #7
hygum
Settler

do we really need to restart?

I'm a very forgetting person, did i start the game? (so that I should make a restart? No i dont think it was me)

I have not been tampering with the game. It was password-problems due to many PBEM-games at one time. I simply couldnt remember my password, and the game doesnt allow trying two times, without noticing it.

I dont think we skould restart
Old January 20, 2000, 10:07   #8
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 02:43
I am indifferent about a restart since we have only played one turn. As to the mutliple reloading, I too, had password problems. If we go for a restart, Tau Ceti (as CMN) would need to send out the first turn again, if the scenario edit problems began there, otherwise, whoever turned it on should be able to reload prior to that and send the file on.

I think the way SMAC counts failed passwords attempts as being actual played games is a bug. It really should not count until you get beyond the password screen.

Old January 20, 2000, 11:06   #9
Tau Ceti
King

I have checked the game I sent to hygum; it works fine here. Also, you are not supposed to be able to turn the editor on during a multiplayer game. There is a thread about this problem here: http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum27/HTML/000091.html

So was the scenario editor turned on for hygum? If so, the problem is there, otherwise it starts with Lord Maxwell.
Old January 21, 2000, 17:44   #10
Tau Ceti
King

hygum: have you checked the game I originally sent you to see if the scenario editor is on when you start it? I noticed that one other game you are in seems to have the same problem... You might suffer from the problem described in the thread I provided a link to.
Old January 23, 2000, 20:23   #11
Tau Ceti
King

It has just been confirmed that hygum's game is the cause of the problem. A replacement player will be found and the game will be restarted tomorrow.
Old January 24, 2000, 04:21   #12
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 02:43
Thanks for the sleuthing Tau. Looking forward to getting the restart going!
Old January 24, 2000, 17:32   #13
Tau Ceti
King

AXT002 has been restarted; DinoDoc is now playing the Cyborgs. I am setting up a new turn administration thread.