Old July 18, 2000, 09:50   #1
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 09:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AXT011 turns, part 2
Looks like the old thread has decided to die... yesterday, I repeatedly got 'server not found' errors when I attempted to post to it. Apparently the posts have been registered anyway, but they do not show up in the thread, so...

----------------

The Morganites welcome the tone of peace and reconciliation from the University's new leader, Provost Toad. 'We never wanted a war in the first place,' CEO Tau Ceti said today, 'and we did only what we had to do to ensure the safety of our people. Since our sterling defense effort meant that we only suffered a few former teams, chopper squadrons and supply crawlers as casualties, we have no desire to cause any further suffering to the citizens of the University. We welcome their offer of peace, and ask only that they refrain from building any more Planet Busters and also scale back their orbital military operations. We will not allow them to outgun us in space and will take whatever steps necessary to prevent that from happening.'
Old July 19, 2000, 00:46   #2
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 08:49
The Consciousness has accepted the offer of a submissive surrender from the UoP. We have no desire to increase the size or scope of our empire, and will leave the University population to live their lives in peace, under their own government.

We believe that the UoP should be allowed to launch a few more ODPs for defensive parity with other factions, but that they should show their good faith by *immediately* ceasing construction of any further busters.

It is our fervent hope that peace has now returned *permanently* to Chiron.
Old July 20, 2000, 13:28   #3
TigToad
Prince

Local Time: 00:49
(I don't have a turn from Misotu waiting for me...)..but I did want you all to know that production of planet busters did cease last turn. Since the bases with skunkworks are now gone, my military production facilities are limited now at best.

Tig
Old July 20, 2000, 14:04   #4
Tau Ceti
King

The Morganites are pleased to see peace return to Chiron. We thought the University was supposed to be under informal sanctions for another 9 years, but seeing as Cybernetic traders are opening new stores in University territory already, CEO Tau Ceti has sent an emissary to Provost Toad, hoping to make a mutually beneficial trade deal.

-----

I will be away this weekend, from Saturday to Monday (inclusive). No turns will be played in this period.
[This message has been edited by Tau Ceti (edited July 20, 2000).]
Old July 20, 2000, 16:58   #5
Misotu
Emperor

Apologies, this is my error. Completely forgot that we'd agreed to impose sanctions artificially when the game failed to do the right thing after the buster.

I will withdraw from the pact if you'd prefer, CEO. Alternatively, I would hope that the University would agree to recommence trade with the Morganites immediately, so that no unfair advantage is gained by the Consciousness. Up to you.

Turn sent to UoP.
Old July 20, 2000, 21:17   #6
TigToad
Prince

There is no problem there.. I did not accept the pact until after I got notification that sanctions had been lifted.

Tig
Old July 22, 2000, 11:52   #7
TigToad
Prince

Turn has been sent back on to the University.

Tig
Old July 25, 2000, 17:50   #8
Misotu
Emperor

Having trouble posting here today. 2151 sent to Tig a few hours ago.
Old July 26, 2000, 00:28   #9
Tau Ceti
King

A new trade deal has been signed between the Morganites and the University, so no action on the part of the Consciousness will be required.
Old July 27, 2000, 11:55   #10
TigToad
Prince

Turn 87 has been sent to Tau... We lost a city to the aliens this year.

Tig
Old July 28, 2000, 09:35   #11
Tau Ceti
King

2188 to Misotu, who - for the first time, I believe - is leader in population and overall.
Old July 28, 2000, 16:40   #12
Misotu
Emperor

Yes ... it's amazing what you have to do when you lose your HQ and all your SPs That's an impressive research rate CEO ...

The Consciousness have called an election. We have no complaints about the Morganite governorship, but we believe that it is time for the Council to reflect the current political situation. We are confident that our colleagues in the University will honour their surrender agreement and support us in the election.

2188 sent to Tig.
Old July 28, 2000, 20:42   #13
Tau Ceti
King

Not impressive enough, I fear... and sadly, the days when I had a vote majority alone are long gone. Sigh. (This is not a turn send.)
Old July 30, 2000, 19:02   #14
Tau Ceti
King

That is an even more impressive research rate, Prime Function... I can only beat you to Threshold of Transcendence if you are not offered it as a choice the next two times, which is a very slim chance. But congratulations on being elected Governor.
Old July 31, 2000, 00:21   #15
TigToad
Prince

Turn sent to Tau... man am I behind in the tech race.
Old July 31, 2000, 11:28   #16
Misotu
Emperor

The Consciousness Research Lobby gave the leadership a good slapping last year and pointed out that defences are all very well if you have something to defend. Like a tech lead, for example.

We are pleased to report that - unusually for us - we were offered Threshold first time and are currently researching it. Consciousness children are fleeing to the bunkers in droves. It is, however, slightly reassuring to note that the Home Defence Scouts, while still clutching their signature sharp sticks, have been equipped with the latest defence technologies. The faint but audible choking sound you may hear is due to an entire people collectively holding its breath ...

2189 sent to Tig.
Old August 2, 2000, 11:42   #17
TigToad
Prince

Just because you are researching the threshold doesn't mean that you've built the ascent.

Must comment... home defense guards clutching their sharp sticks..lol... Tig
Old August 3, 2000, 09:26   #18
Tau Ceti
King

2190 to Misotu.
Old August 3, 2000, 14:47   #19
Misotu
Emperor

2190 to UoP.
Old August 4, 2000, 09:21   #20
Tau Ceti
King

Back to Misotu.
Old August 4, 2000, 11:23   #21
Misotu
Emperor

We've, um, decided that redundancy offers the best chance now.

2191 sent to Tig.
Old August 4, 2000, 16:46   #22
Tau Ceti
King

In an astounding turn of events, CEO Morgan, thought to have died in the crash landing 90 years ago, showed up in the Morgan Industries HQ last night with a band of armed followers. They used one of the newly developed Blink Displacers to get right into the board room undetected. CEO Tau Ceti was placed under arrest, and the board of directors voted - at gunpoint, apparently - to reinstate CEO Morgan as 'the rightful and eternal leader of Morgan Industries'.

Where Morgan had been and how he survived is a mystery. Some have speculated that a band of devoted followers took his body shortly after the funeral and have since been holding it safe, waiting for new technology that might heal his wounds. The recently discovered technology of Matter Editation may have provided the tools they needed; researchers had already made conceptual sketches of how the new knowledge might be used to achieve Clinical Immortality, and it is not too far fetched that a further development of these ideas might have allowed these people to raise Morgan from the dead.

What is certain is that he immediately ordered the Morganic armed forces to launch a mass assault at Consciousness territory. In a holovised speech, he claimed to have had a vision; Planet itself had spoken to him and asked to be taught all there is to know about humanity. Apparently, the insidious Cybernetic Consciousness had learned of Planet's desire first and was already preparing a major download of their view of the world to Planet's neural networks. Undoubtedly, their perverted, soulless 'rational' thinking would provoke Planet to exterminate all of mankind, Morgan said.

Although Morganic military technology is vastly inferior to that at the disposal of Cybernetic generals, CEO Morgan's speech had invigorated the soldiers, and the pilots and probe commanders went to their tasks undaunted. Although initial attacks were successful due to products of Morganic ingenuity such as the Dissociative Wave and the Blink Displacer, ultimately the effort was futile. The Consciousness had been wise enough to set up download nodes at seven of their major bases. In the end, only one of these was occupied.

Upon learning of this failure, CEO Morgan gathered his followers on the top floor of the Morgan Industries HQ, and they committed suicide by activating an explosive device. The smoke from the
explosion is still visible several miles away. The Morganic people now only wait to see what happens when the Consciousness completes their project...

-------------------

(Yes, I know the procedure described is more reminiscent of the Voice of Planet. But what exactly IS the Ascent to Transcendence anyway?)

Congratulations on a game well played, Mis! There really was no way to stop you for quite some time. A victory well deserved!
Old August 4, 2000, 21:28   #23
TigToad
Prince

Yeah, I don't see the way to stop her. I was going to try, then I saw seven bases and my 1 helicopter left in my army after my war with Tau and went, heck, may as well stay honorable. Grin. The real bummer for me was not taking out one of the alien races before the game ended. I have one race down to 4 or 5 bases and I own about half of the southern continent..though I lost a couple cities to nerve gas and counter attacks by the aliens.

Congrats Mis..ascending (or going to ascend) when I nuked your capital city and half of your secret projects was awesome. I suffered BADLY when I lost my home base, not for the research or most of the projects but the dozen or so drone riots I've had since losing the Virtual World and all of the industry wasted building hologram centers.

Tig
Old August 5, 2000, 00:29   #24
TigToad
Prince

Turn has been sent to Tau...looks like one way or another this game is going to be done in a year or two.
Old August 5, 2000, 11:56   #25
Misotu
Emperor

Cybernetic HQ, the final morning. The air is thick with dust and choking smoke. Looking out to what was formerly the Western coastline, virgin land can be seen rising from the seas as the result of a Morganic tectonic missile. The whine of blink displacers and the chilling hiss of nerve gas can be heard above the general noise and confusion of war.

((Madam Prime Function, it is time))

>> We have been successful then?

((Indeed we have. The application of old-Earth computer redundancy theory has served us well. The simultaneous construction of seven Ascents in bases spanning the length and breadth of our Empire has defeated all the cunning and ingenuity of our rivals.))

Contemplating the coming ceremony, the Prime Function permits herself a smile of quiet satisfaction. There is nothing so becoming to a one-armed woman as a mysterious, and all-enveloping, hooded cloak.

Turning at the door of the bunker that has been her home for many mission years, her hand hovers for a moment over a neatly-bound document lying on the desk. Drawn up in darker moments, the pages contain blueprints for an ingenious construction, based on the ancient Roman model, designed to house larval mindworms and train them for combat with humans.

And then, as in so many of her daydreams, she heard the Voice calling. Now was the moment, if she chose to take it. At this moment of perfect understanding, Planet would deny her nothing. One last request, before quitting human existence forever. A small thing, a mere trifle.

Her eye rests for a moment on the design for two, perfectly symmetrical cells with their bold nameplates. Engraved upon them, in exquisite irony, are the names "Zakharov" and "Morgan". The mug shots above the names, however, show the faces of two more recent leaders.

Earthmisotu, the Flowering is close now ... we are waiting ... make haste!

>>I come.

Turning on her heel, her one good arm brushes against the desk, as if by accident, sweeping the document into the incinerator. As she leaves to take her position in the stone circle and the echo of her footfall dies away, a perfect silence descends upon the place.

Epilogue.
It is recorded in ancient tomes that the Misotu personality did indeed spare both rival leaders and included these individuals and their followers in the long Ascent to Transcendence.

And then again ... you can't believe everything you read

Hi Tig and Tau. Thanks for your kind remarks - it's a nice one to have won, but we all know that the game could have gone very differently at several points. Thanks to both of you for a very entertaining and exciting game. The turn rate was great and the twists and turns were most *excellent*.

Old August 7, 2000, 11:55   #26
TigToad
Prince

Congratulations on the ascent, Misotu. It was a very fun game... I did enjoy getting to planetbust your capital in a dark, secret kinda way... and I'm glad that the game was so close. Thanks to you, too Tau...it was fun!

Tig