Old November 4, 2000, 16:41   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 00:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
^
Old November 4, 2000, 19:48   #2
Deimos
Prince

Local Time: 02:52
Sounds like fun! I'm up for it. Are we going to limit the factions to the original 7, or are the SMACX factions available? Minus the Aliens, of course.

Also, even if the game only includes the original 7, are we going to use SMACX? Abundent life forms are less problematical under SMACX.
Old November 4, 2000, 20:10   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

The original one was SMAC 'cos vel hadn't at that time bought SMAX.

If we go with any of 12 from SMAX (ie excluding the 2 alien races) we wouyld need to make sure there were some healthy aversions (Cult and Morgan; Cyborgs and Miriam; Drones and Gaians, etc) and Pirates would be dropped (as they are averse to nothing)

And I agree that the abundant lifeform would seriously advantage the Cult or the Gaians, so average would be my vote (I can't remember why we went with abundant)

Googlie
Old November 5, 2000, 01:38   #4
Googlie
Emperor

RolePlay (Resuscitated RP1?)
Anyone interested in trying this concept?

(I quote from the RP1 thread, that died at 2103 when Vel and Ogie dropped out)

Settings: Huge planet, abundant native life, average everything else.

Other settings: Standard except no Unity Pod scattering.

Additional rules:

1) A faction may not use any advanced SE setting that conflicts with its agenda. For example, the Morganites may not use the Green setting, because it conflicts with Free Market. They could use Simple economics, because that is not an advanced SE setting.

2) A faction may not win a cooperative victory nor Pact with another faction with an incompatible agenda. In this particular game, this means that the Hive may neither Pact nor win a cooperative victory with the Peacekeepers.

3) Research settings: Factions emphasize their "default" interests when researching. (The default interests are:
Gaians: Explore
Peacekeepers: Explore, Discover
Hive: Conquer, Build
Morgan: Build
Spartans: Discover, Conquer
University: Discover
Believers: Explore, Conquer)

4) No cheats. Refer to the various cheats threads if you are unsure, or pose a question here.

5) This is a role-playing-oriented game, so play your faction to the hilt, and don't worry too much about winning!

Reply if interested and I'll set it up and get started.

Googlie

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited November 04, 2000).]
Old November 5, 2000, 01:43   #5
stuntman19
Prince

Local Time: 07:52
It sounds like a fun game, although I do think the abundant native is too big of an advantage to the Gaians. If it is to be a role play the settings should not so much favor any of the factions.
Old November 6, 2000, 01:30   #6
Deimos
Prince

I'll vote for average life forms, too. I'd also like to play as the Cyborgs or PK's, in that order.

Also, as far as cheats go, do you consider stockpile after units, and Design Workshop upgrades mid-turn to fall into this catageory?
Old November 6, 2000, 19:44   #7
Googlie
Emperor

I guess there wasn't a lot of interest in getting this going again.

Just three of us.

Googlie
Old November 7, 2000, 06:26   #8
Hobbes_One

I'd love a go at this, only SMAC though. Up for Uni, Gaians, PK's in that order.

Hobbes

Old November 7, 2000, 11:44   #9
Deimos
Prince

Cool! Another interested party! We may be able to get this off the ground yet

I've been doing some thinking lately (guess that explains the smoke). I'd like to take a swing at playing good ol' Chairman Yang. Somebody has to be the bad guys

Old November 7, 2000, 12:26   #10
Googlie
Emperor

OK - we're crawling there

So far (original seven):

Deimos: Hive
Hobbes_One: University
stuntman19: open
Googlie: open

I'll e-mail the original group that were in the short-lived game just in case they don't recognize the title to this thread. They were (the miscreants omitted):

Basil
JoeR
Kinjiru

plus, Hydro had volunteered in the orginal game to sub for the missing Vel

let's see if we can get three of these four to join and get the game underway

G.
Old November 14, 2000, 21:05   #11
XWaste
Prince

I would be interested if there is still a vacancy.

Would like the Data Angels - their aversion is to power though I would probably realisticly extend it in politics to include police state
Old November 15, 2000, 10:33   #12
Googlie
Emperor

XWaste:

Still 3 vacancies, but SMAC factions only this time.

Any interest on that basis?

still available are any except Lal or Yang

G.
Old November 15, 2000, 15:04   #13
Googlie
Emperor

Slowly getting there

Hydro: Gaians
Deimos: Hive
Hobbes_One: University
stuntman19: open
Googlie: open
XWaste: open (at least hasn't expressed an original faction preference)

we just need one more

I'll try big_canuk and Misotu to see if either would like to role-play to the hilt

G.

Old November 15, 2000, 23:19   #14
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Honored Googlie,

Deirdre reporting for duty.

Advice to other faction leaders: I am soft on people but hard on policy. Respect Planet. Or else.

Hydro
Please use my home email: hydrogeo@gateway.net

[This message has been edited by Hydro (edited November 15, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 06:25   #15
XWaste
Prince

I might try the believers then for something different.

Old November 17, 2000, 14:32   #16
Googlie
Emperor

Status report:

We have six confirmed:

Hydro as the Gaians
XWaste as the Believers
Hobbes_One as the University
Deimos as the Spartans
stuntman19 - open
Googlie - open

I am trying to entice Allie Cove to join us and play her favourite character, Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang.

That would indeed give us an awesome group

(s19 - any preferences between Lal and Morgan? - I'm easy either way)

Keeping fingers crossed for AC's response ...........

Googlie

------------------
Putting a spin on it
Old November 18, 2000, 05:14   #17
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 03:52
Sounds good to me. As long as whoever is playing as Lal isn't a SMAC heavyweight (*ahem* Googlie, Velocyrix, etc), I'm game!

May the most convincing faction win!
Old November 18, 2000, 11:20   #18
Rynn:
ACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

OK - we're off (Googlie has asked me to CMN . )

settings:

SMAC v4.0
Huge Random Map, 50 - 70% water (Planet's default)
average everything
Librarian settings (everyone at the default/neutral cost algorithm)
all victory conditions on
blind research (so check only your faction preferences)
ironman off (but we trust each other to not reload without a convincing explanation)
usual PBEM no-cheat rules apply

special rules:

you must play your faction's preferences and aversions and move to your choice as soon as available and deviate only with a convincing (to the others) posted reason

e.g.

:- Believers: aggressive, research priorities Explore and Conquer, move to Fundamentalism as soon as available, may not treaty or pact with anyone running Knowledge

:- Gaians: pacifist, research priority is explore, move to green as soon as availably, may not treaty or pact with faction running Free Market

and so on.

No contact between factions until commlinks discovered or traded or contact physically made between Units

Players:

Hydro as the Gaians
XWaste as the Believers
Hobbes_One as the University
Deimos as the Spartans
Alinestra Covelia as the Hive
stuntman19 as the Peacekeepers
Googlie as Morgan

Feel free (but not obligatory) to post snippets about your society, characters, interactions with other factions, etc.

While therte will inevitably be a winner, there really is no winner - the game's objective is to see how a game would run with humans playing these AI agendas/preferences, etc

(Unless we explicitly set various victory conditions by faction - can't be done in game settings but can be discussed once underway.

e.g. a faction wins by:

University: transcendence;
Peacekeepers: diplomatic (Supreme leader);
Gaians: cooperative (transcendence with at least 2 pact brothers);
Morgan: economic;
Hive: conquest;
Believers: conquest
Spartans: conquest

what do you think? Or should Transcendence be a default for everyone with the other victory method "doubling" the final AC score?

turn 1 to the Gains

Rynn

Old November 18, 2000, 12:03   #19
stuntman19
Prince

Sorry I haven't posted here for awhile, but it looks like were rolling into the game. I have a couple questions about the game if Googlie or someone could fill me in that would be great.

1)Is this a normal start(not accelerated)
2)Are random events on or off
3)Are pacts\treaties forbidden against agenda conflicting factions? or only when SE setting is conflicting? Examples: Hive-Peacekeepers or Believers-University or Spartans-Morgan

Anyway, thanks and look forward to the game. Good luck to all!
Old November 18, 2000, 19:46   #20
Googlie
Emperor

Random events are on, and it's a normal (2101) start.

The intent of the original, discontinued RP1 was that a faction, say the Believers, could not treaty or pact with another faction running knowledge. if the Uni, for example, were running simple or power, then a treaty or pact could be made. However if Miriam were running fundy, then the pact or treaty could not be made, as that is Zak's aversion.

If Miriam were running simple or, say, police, and fundy were available to her, then a case would need to be presented in this thread, perhaps as a story, or a newspaper piece, perhaps just in memo form, explaining why the preferred choice isn't being followed.

Likewise with the Uni, if running, say Power, with knowledge available. Explain convincingly why knowledge is not being made as an SE choice at that time.

Prolly harder for Morgan and Yang as FM and police come very early in the process, followed by Fundy and Green. Lal too will be tough as demo will spawn drone riots if not kept under control.

(but that might be a sufficient justification for postponing democracy, if available)

Changing from a choice SE settring just to treaty or pact would (in my opinion - let's hear from the others) be justifiable only to forestall a military threat, or enter a treaty or pact that was a necessity for survival (and not just for the commerce income). Again, an explanatory item re the threat or oppotunity should be posted so that the judges (the other players) can deride or praise as appropriate.

Googlie
Old November 18, 2000, 19:53   #21
Rynn:
Prince

I opened a turn reporting thread.

let's keep this one for asking and answering queestions, concensus rulings, mutual derisions, clarifications, etc.

Rynn
Old November 19, 2000, 18:43   #22
Hydro
ACDG3 GaiansApolyton Storywriters' GuildSporePolyCast Team
King

Hi RPG1ers,

The Gaians just sent RPG1 turn 1 move to the Hive (Ali). I forgot to change my name - will do next time (Googlie had it as Lord Hydro - nice, but a bit pretentious). I'll revert to Lady Deirdre Skye.

A couple of questions (based on reading multiplayer and cheat threads) and comments:

· I assume that no diplomacy is possible until you actually meet the other faction (True? That is what makes sense to me, and is how SP works).
· I think I understand the aversions (e.g. FM for Gaians) and preferences (Gaian green and demo) based on G's explanation. What if another faction doesn't choose your preferred SE, but has not chosen your aversion? For instance, Dee constantly whines about Planned SE (even though the AI uses it). Perhaps this is a minor aversion and would be grounds to get negative brownie points in the diplomacy ledger? Note that if this is held as an aversion than all the factions will probably hate each other. In other words, how much latitude is reasonable? Or maybe a posted justification would be appropriate?
· Maybe we need another thread to post these pronouncements for SE rationale and deviations. Should these go here?
· A turn-by-turn summary of each faction's exploits, like a running editorial, would be fun. Note that this would effectively be free info of a pretty detailed nature for other factions. But, if we are honest in our efforts to role-play, it would help the game come alive, and personalize the game a little. If done correctly it might even be a great story!
· Are private e-mail after two factions have met legal in PBEM? I image the diplomacy screen might be a little limited (based on my non-existent experience). Real diplomacy is much more detailed than a 'give me XXX or I'll crush you like a bug', after all…

Looking forward to the game. It should be fun!

BTW - pods are on. I saw one in my start. Was that intended? Not that I am complaining, mind you. Gaians LOVE pods!!

Hydro

P.S. - The Thanksgiving holiday is coming up in the States. I'll be out from Tuesday through Sunday.
Old November 19, 2000, 19:25   #23
Rynn:
Prince

You make good points, Hydro.

At the risk of thread spamming, I'll open another called RP1 Narrative. That will give three RP1 threads. This one for the types of questions Hydro has posted, answers, clarifications, etc. There is a formal RP1 turn thread = please use (vital for when the game stalls, as it will from time to time - we can infer/detect where the turn stall is. And the fiction/story thread.

yes, pods are on. They are such an integral part of the SP game (for most of us, anyway) that they add 'game realism' - and make for good story lines. Plus, with semi-directed research (follow your faction research preferences as nearly as possible) they will in the early years give these hard-to-get techs.

No communicartion until contact is made. After contact is made, particularly for pact bros/sisters, e-mail or ICQ is universally used for negotiations. With the convoluted multiplayer diplomacy screens a trade can take up to six turns to complete - better to complete the trade by e-mail and use the diplomacy to clinch the deal in two turns.

Trading, treaty or pact with neutral SE's are OK (eg if you are running planned you can pact with gaia. Only FM is verboten [so long as Gaia isn't running one of your aversions, such as knowledge if you are Miriam]}

Rynn
Old November 19, 2000, 20:09   #24
Deimos
Prince

Rynn,

I have a suggestion. Could you please edit the first post of the RP1 Turn thread to include all the players, their faction, and their email addy? This would make this information easier to locate, rather than having to sift through this thread. Also, it would make a good place to outline the allowed/disallowed actions for the game.

Thanks!
Old November 19, 2000, 20:36   #25
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Provost Hobbes, you can download the zip of the save game here:

(Right click and click save as)
http://www.enixine.dabsol.co.uk/smacgame.html
Old November 19, 2000, 20:39   #26
Alinestra Covelia
Queen

Provost Hobbes, you can download the zip of the save game here:
http://www.enixine.dabsol.co.uk/smacgame.html
Old November 19, 2000, 23:16   #27
Rynn:
Prince

stuntman19:

Can you post your e-mail addy?

(At the least send it to XWaste so that your turns can be sent to you)

Rynn