Old March 2, 2001, 10:40   #1
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 18:17
Local Date: October 30, 2010
New Friday or Saturday or both (to be continued game)
I'm going to try to host a GAME TO BE CONTINUED. Yes I know I'm a sucker for punishment, but I have to try.

I'll go with any combination. A friday only game, a saturday only game, or one for Friday and Saturdays. I'll settle for anyone that will commit for two or three weeks.

Please post any interest.

I'd like to start tonight around 7:30 - 8:00 central Ferret time.

Anybody familar with the ferrets know the settings I prefer, but If I can get some commitment, they're up for negotiation. (except for deity, raging, huts and wonders)

I'll check in here during the day and will be at Ming's tonight.

RAH
Lord of the Ferrets
Old March 2, 2001, 11:14   #2
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:17
The beavers are always willing to play with the Ferrets !!!!!!
Old March 2, 2001, 11:57   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Sign me up... Sign me up...
Opps, you are using my computer on Friday nights... never mind

Remember to bring dinner, see you at the normal time.
Old March 2, 2001, 14:02   #4
markusf
King

Local Time: 23:17
don't you guys normally play 2x 1x? Arii remember the last 7 player 2x 1x game we were in? i got 18 of 24 wonders including all the happy and army wonders, and all wonders from the middle ages on up.

I am willing to play, but i warn you me and arii have perfected our growth, and if we pull waaay ahead i don't see to many people motived to continue
Old March 2, 2001, 15:03   #5
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Nice to see you're cockey as ever.
Yes, I am worried that we haven't learned anything in the last year while you've made vast improvements.
I do remember other games where you didn't fair quite as well.

I'm willing to negotiate settings. I'm not a big fan of 1x1x, but I'm willing to discuss it. A good game with the caliber of people posting in this thread would be worth a few sacrifices. With all quality players, I would recommend no alliances or tech trading, to encourage as much conflict as possible and to lessen the advantage given to the first two civs to meet.

RAH
On continuations, I would be willing to continue on any friday or saturday night that I'm in town (which is most of them). We can discuss, if we can agree on settings.

Old March 2, 2001, 15:32   #6
Bird
King

Local Time: 19:17
Hey rah, it's been awhile. I can't play Fridays, but I'm still generally around Saturday nights (Wednesday too, for that matter). Frankly, I pretty much lost interest because games were never continued. I'd love to get something going that can be continued on those nights.
Old March 2, 2001, 16:52   #7
arii
Prince

I am definitly more interested in 1* 1*. Closer to the real game, and mining and irrigating make sense. Also would like a map that has equal locations for the players so that the game is not over before it starts for some players.
I'm fine with no tech trading and no alliance and you can even add no tech stealing to remove indirect tech exchange.
Old March 2, 2001, 16:55   #8
arii
Prince

I can generate an equal map in 20 min. Also I can play everyfriday but would like to have a definite number of sessions and a winner designated after those (that means short turns). I am tired of those games that drag on week after weeks after weeks with no end in sight.
Old March 2, 2001, 17:26   #9
markusf
King

No micromanagers! Its amazing how much of a difference it makes. People want to continue and you can get to industrialiZation after 3 hours with 7 people, playing sim turns of course. No one wants to play a game where you have one or 2 people taking 10 -20 minutes to make sure that every beaker and shield is used correctly. Because when it comes down to it, micromanaging does little to nothing for your economy. And if you do get an advance before someone else, as soon as you do everyone elses tech rate becomes cheaper, and when they trade or get an advance your turn/tech go up 10 -50% ie 6 turns a tech becomes 10 turns
Old March 2, 2001, 17:48   #10
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Tech stealing isn't a problem. It can sometimes help balance the game back, and since only one per city, Till spys, it is limited.

I'll consider 1x, I'm sure I'll make a few mistakes out of habit but what the hey.

On the map, I do prefer random, for that sense of adventure. And while it can unbalance, it is usually a function of which way you choose to explore more than the actual terrain itself.

I'll even agree to simul and turn based for combat. How do you handle random single encounters? (since if I'm at Mings I can smoke without going outside)

And a preset number of sessions is fine, but if it's still reasonably close, i'd be willing to play additional sessions. I'll leave that up to you guys.

Gee it seems we're getting closer.

And i don't micro micro manage. Usually one of the first done in simul

RAH

Bird, good to hear from you, If this is a Friday game, I'll look for you tomorrow and maybe we can find a dedicated group for saturdays.

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by rah (edited March 02, 2001).]</font>
Old March 2, 2001, 21:02   #11
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Bird good to hear from you as well..... i cna't play saturdays but Ming and i do play Tuesdays now instead of Wednesdays.... be nice if you could play and we could coax Rah away from the ladies of the homestead
Old March 3, 2001, 00:59   #12
KenThur
Prince

Yes, yes!!
I'm with thee Bird... a game that mite actually FINISH?
I'd play almost ANY setting for the privledge to get involved with quality competitors that have the honor & guts to stick it out.
Most any night's good here (or days on weekends).

If U want to make it a real challenge & elim a bunch of the luck; why not do a no-huts, no-wonder (except Apollo, if it got there) contest?

I vote for 1x1x also for the realism as mentioned above.
Or if U want to really speed things up... go with 2x2x.

------------------
"Hm-m-m, doubt me you will?"
Old March 3, 2001, 01:14   #13
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Two down, a couple more to go.

The ferrets always enjoy playing with beavers, hmmm, that doesn't sound right.

Arii and Markus started a thread. Maybe we can negotiate settings.

RAH
Or we can wait to see if anybody else shows interest.
If you get home before I get to Ming's, start trolling.

And yeah Ming, I will remember to bring dinner. (buy another PC for the rec room)
Old March 3, 2001, 01:48   #14
arii
Prince

Time and settings look close we might be able to agree on a game setting.
Old March 6, 2001, 14:01   #15
arii
Prince

I think I can give you all you can handle given that I have 17 cities, and have the following wonders:
mike, collossus, great wall, Isaak newton and soon a new 1 that I prefere not to reveal. I enjoy a nice diverse portfolio among science, military and happinness wonders.
It would be nice to continue for at least 1 more session if rah and berz are up to it. I understand that they are in a difficult position in between our 2 civs.
Old March 6, 2001, 15:57   #16
rah
lifer
Just another peon

"In the next 10 turns RAH and mongols are toast, then its bezerker, then finally u."

Gotta love your confidence. I had already started on the Mongols (two or three of their cities in the last 4 turns) and probably would have finished them off before you got there. No way would you have finished me in 10 turns.
Having said that (and thumping my chest), the outcome was 98% inevitable. Yes I would have eventually (at least 20 turns ) been crushed between the two of you. Not a great start for me, in terms of trade specials or guessing which way to initially explore. But that's what makes every game different and interesting.

I do disagree on the small map. It promoted conflict early and often, and made every square(no matter how ****ty the terrian was) valuable.

But that is the fourth simul game that I've been in that someone quit during the game due to something that occured that they deemed unfair about simul. And as a result, I will not be joining any simul games. Just call me an ole MAN who likes some breaks during the game. I will admit that it cruised right along. But I've seen arguments in every game which have distracted from the reason why I play. (TO HAVE FUN)

And after another 1x1x experience, my feelings about it haven't changed. It's like watching grass grow. (and I'm so used to 2x1x that I did make a few errors )

Thanks for the game though, and it's too bad, because that was a good group and I enjoyed the challange and the opponents. (hopefully if we cross swords in the future, I'll get a slightly better start)

RAH

Old March 6, 2001, 20:23   #17
War4ever
Emperor

yah nothing like x1x1 and all plains and hemmed in by ferrets and markus...... oh well another time another game , you can't win em all
Old March 7, 2001, 01:17   #18
arii
Prince

Are you guys up to continue this for another session this friday or is this game dead (since 2 civ seem to be dominating)?
Let me know o that I can plan another game in case it is not continued.
Old March 7, 2001, 01:31   #19
markusf
King

I think its over, amoung my many wonders i just got SOL, and dragoons and changed to fundy. In the next 10 turns RAH and mongols are toast, then its bezerker, then finally u.

Lets not play on stupid settings next time. 5 players on a small map is just stupid in my opinion and doesn't lead to much of a game.
Old March 7, 2001, 08:55   #20
SmartFart
Civilization II MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 01:17
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi guys.

I was unable to play last few months,due to some health problems,but I am willing to participate in one game,friday/saturday/sunday if possible.

ICQ me if there is some interest.

I am glad to see that Markus is overconfident as always,so buttkicking will be much sweeter

Arii - sorry for that unfinished tourney game,but you are better player and my defeat was unavoidable anyway.

I have absolute zero expirience with sim turns,but what a hell.

Hope to play ya guys in near future.

Take care.
SF
Old March 7, 2001, 15:13   #21
arii
Prince

Good to see you back.
Old March 8, 2001, 01:53   #22
markusf
King

sure SF.

Old March 10, 2001, 15:19   #23
Bird
King

Hoping to continue last Saturday's game with rah, berz, war4 and me. Will check in around 8:00 to 8:30 eastern.
Old March 10, 2001, 21:31   #24
Bird
King

I'm around, but ICQ won't connect. Connections to the forums are slow for me too, so it might be my ISP. Will keep trying in case anyone is looking.
Old March 10, 2001, 21:38   #25
rah
lifer
Just another peon

haven't seen war4, but still interested in something.
if you get icq working let us know.
if not post here.
Old March 10, 2001, 21:53   #26
Bird
King

Still won't connect. If war4 shows up, post the connecting info and I'll check this forum every 5 minutes or so and join.
Old March 10, 2001, 22:07   #27
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Still no war4. but if we get a game up. i'll pm you the ip.

keep in touch

rah
Old March 10, 2001, 22:16   #28
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Bird sent you a PM with an ip of a fake hot game to facilitate communications.
join and we can chat.

RAH