Local Time: 07:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2131 on to Chairman big_canuk
Old December 16, 2000, 17:51   #2
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 08:55
Great, we're off. Thanks for starting the game Googlie!

Now ... who is going to hold our passwords for us?
Old December 16, 2000, 22:24   #3
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 02:55
2131 to jschwab

Thanks Googlie for starting this one and making me the Hive!!

xwaste: just ignore that e-mail. My first email didn't go through, but it bounced after the 2nd was sent, so it didn't make sense either, and I didn't know about this game or this thread until I checked which I did between the bounces and if you have read this far then you understand that ...
Old December 17, 2000, 01:45   #4
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 00:55
Turns of OktoberFist II

Players:

Misotu: Peacekeepers (misotu@hotmail.com)
big_canuk: Hive (kckhnsn@mnsi.net)
Xwaste: Gaians (xxx@adelaide.on.net)
Jschwab: University (jschwab@uswest.net)
RedFred: Morgan (rshypitka@hotmail.com)
Drones: TBD
Googlie: Consciousness (googlie@mybc.com)

Settings :

Transcend level
Huge Random Map (OKF1 was MoP)
Average everything
All winning conditions on
Directed research
Accelerated Start

Turn 2131 sent to Lady XWaste of the Gaians

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old December 17, 2000, 02:58   #5
jschwab
Warlord

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
2131 sent to Morgan

JSchwab
Old December 18, 2000, 01:19   #6
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Off to Styx.

This accelerated start stuff is interesting in MP. I was surprised by all the instant tech at startup. Cool.
Old December 18, 2000, 04:07   #7
Styx
Chieftain

Didn,t knew I was on in this game, I can,t remember when I did myself subscribe for it.
Anyway I looked at these settings:

As Drones you get only 4 techs by this accelerated start. The resource fields are rotten formed (yes, always with accelerated but...) no minerals almost at each square with solar and farm.

The SP that are already occupied are disbalancing perhaps even more, PK has the WP for instance where Drones have the Virtual which is pretty worthless for a good start since there are no nodes build in Drone citys and that will not happen soon also.
That means there is no direct profit possible.

Then there is the problem of the landmarks eventually related to SP. Drones have none so far I can see. Its very unlikely that all factions are starting without landmarks.
Main problem seemes however that I have only 1 former which is very unlikely with +2 on industry.

So question: Are you sure this setup is a balanced situation?
I don,t think it is sound to join with these settings as Drones.

Styx
Old December 18, 2000, 11:18   #8
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Styx:

I had e-mailed you on the invite to join OKFist II. You hadn't replied, but we took a flier and sent the turn to you anyway

The players were all those affected by the 4 week disappearance of Gopher (you were in one of his games, and he was a player in OKFist I) and, to a lesser extent, Deimos (disappeared from OKFist I). We wanted to get a game going quickly for these four weeks with a bunch of reliable players nwho could turn quickly.

I agree on the uselessness of the early SP's allocated in the warp start - and the drones, the lack of formers, the somewhat stupid decisions the AI had made for us in the non-played years (OKF One started in 2181, so the AI had 80 years of mismanagement)

That was one of the features we were facing as a game limitation - how to prosper and ultimately win in spite of the awful judgement exhibited by the AI in the intervening years (much like when you take over an ACT or AXT game from a dropped out player and say "OMIGAWD, what on earth has he been doing").

And you were the Drones as I tried to get us playing factions that we weren't playing on our respective stalled games.

We understand if you don't want to continue given these conditions - if so, just bow out in this thread and RedFred will send to one of our standby replacements - but I hope you'll continue, as to some of the OKFist original crowd (including me) you are a different face that we don't encounter in the games we are in.

Googlie

Old December 18, 2000, 14:08   #9
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I'd like to echo the big_canuk.

If Styx, or anyone else for that matter is not happy with their start and wants to switch with the CEO, feel free! (Warning: without giving too much away, I can't see how you could possibly improve your position by doing so.)

Random maps and accelerated starts are notorious for inequitable positions. I happen to think that the fun is in playing the game and trying hard to do as well as possible, rather than just in winning.
Old December 18, 2000, 17:20   #10
Styx
Chieftain

Ok, the usual comments. I just have to live with it that most don,t care at all about these things.
Ok I will send the turn but remember I consider it as a lost position already and its more a training thingy for me.

But now another problem, who am I supposed to sent the turn, I don,t have any emailadres yet.
Old December 18, 2000, 17:36   #11
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Googlie's e-dress should be in his profile. If not, check the OF1 thread.

You still don't sound none too pleased about your position. My offer to switch still stands.
Old December 19, 2000, 01:42   #12
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Hi Styx:

Sure hope you decide to continue. If you thing Drones are bad, how about Hive??? I was UoP in OktF1, and Googlie just randomly gave me Hive. I didn't know till I got the turn. But with 7 playing, the fun will be in the game and diplomacy, not getting the best faction to win with. If you want, lets switch.

I am looking forward to having a good time loosing this one.
Old December 19, 2000, 16:44   #13
Styx
Chieftain

Yes, I have the adres now but on second thoughts I decided not to waste my time on this game. Swapping faction wouldn,t change the problem of Drones are not set in balance.

Imagine I have only 5 techs available its very unlikely that I am able to get some tech from trade in time.

Special problem is that I just have 1 former. This has forced me to chose for centauri ecology which made a badly needed social engeneering tech unavailable for 26 turns.
Then after this I am forced to build at least 2 formers instead of other things to come to normal setup values for accelerated.
In practice it will mean that I will fall behind at least 2x3 former turns before I can start to work on a landtile.
Since there are no minerals+energy at a same square available to work it means either I drop behind in research or can,t make use of the special faction ability of +2 industry.

I believe the start is very important. Special when its accelerated and it will have a deep impact on the gameflow. Thats why I hate this kind of accelerated setup without CMN.

To solve the problem I reloaded and erased Drones from the game.
I don,t want an replacement player getting frustrated after months of playing finding himself in a hopeless position wondering where things went wrong. turn sent.

Old December 20, 2000, 01:14   #14
Misotu
Emperor

Googlie's email address is: googlie@mybc.com

I've emailed it to Styx - might be worth adding the e-mail addresses to the top of this thread Googlie?
Old December 20, 2000, 03:27   #15
Googlie
Emperor

Haven't received the turn from Styx yet. I wonder if we could find anyone else willing to take on the Drones at almost impossible odds rather than just eradicate them.

Wasn't it Adam Smith that bragged as to how he was unbeatable as the Drones?

I'll have no internet access until around noon PST on Thursday (en route to Palm Springs) - I apologize in advance for any delays this causes to our game

Googlie
Old December 20, 2000, 10:43   #16
Misotu
Emperor

I'm astonished ... Styx, if you don't want to play then that's fine of course. But eradicating the faction is a bit dramatic!!

I agree Googlie, let's advertise for a replacement player. Adam Smith does like the Drones very much - it might be worth approaching him direct. The Drones *may* be in a poor position, but I think there are more options available other than just throwing in the towel on turn 1!!! Like, er, diplomacy? They have a lot to offer as a pact mate and I believe co-op is on for the OktoberFIST games?
Old December 20, 2000, 11:37   #17
Googlie
Emperor

I've invited Adam_Smith by e-mail, and also posted a "Plater wanted" thread.

And I've added the email addies at this thread's beginning.

Now to get passwords stored......

Googlie

(well, maybe the Drones would have Platers in the 22nd century .)

G.

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited December 20, 2000).]
Old December 20, 2000, 14:10   #18
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

From the "player wanted" thread, I understand that Tau Ceti has kindly volunteered to play the Drones.

Me bad. After it was clear that Styx received my .sav I wiped it from my PC. I still had the e-mail before my turn so I replayed and send on to Tau. Depending on whether or not Tau Ceti is able to get the original untampered .sav from Styx from my e-mail to Styx, you may or may not be receiving a tampering message. If you do, my apologies.
Old December 20, 2000, 14:31   #19
Styx
Chieftain

Oh well, then this special setup is more important then the individual opinion after all isn,t it?

I wasn,t involved with the setup, be asured I would not have agreed to such settings to start regardless I would have know the outcome of the accelerated tombola.
So I don,t see what throwing towels has to do with it.
If you want a challenge with me then make a good setup.
Maybe I don,t have skills enough to judge it but in case you get Adam in the game as Drones and he will do poor it only prooves I was right from start.
Its a setup trap for Drones.

Have fun with the game.

Old December 20, 2000, 22:48   #20
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 09:55
Got the save from Styx (without reloads) and have sent it on to Googlie.

Well. This is a poor position. I would even say it is a very poor position. But without having seen the others, it is hard to know for sure. It does not look entirely unsalvageable, and I knew a bit about what I was getting into, so we will just have to see...
Old December 21, 2000, 02:16   #21
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Well, that is two people that have given very negative feedback about the Drones' starting position.

Since we haven't gotten too far is there any interest in trying a restart? Obviously there will be winners and losers with a restart but we may be able to randomly generate another game that is less severely inequitable.
Old December 22, 2000, 23:14   #22
Googlie
Emperor

Restart on to Misotu
Old December 23, 2000, 12:08   #23
Misotu
Emperor

Lovely. 30 years of building farms in arid land ...

Still, it could be worse. I'm assuming it's no contact until we meet each other, same as OkI, right?

2132 to Lady XWaste.
Old December 23, 2000, 18:05   #24
XWaste
Prince

2132 onto big_canuk
Old December 24, 2000, 15:11   #25
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

2132 to jschwab
Old December 24, 2000, 15:13   #26
big_canuk
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I don't have a restart, I have a continuation of the old game. Is that correct? Or do we have 2 games floating here?
Old December 24, 2000, 16:52   #27
jschwab
Warlord

Local Time: 23:55
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I have passed teh turn for Oktober Fist II on to Red...

If you want a restart, by all means lets do it.

JSchwab
Old December 24, 2000, 21:25   #28
Googlie
Emperor

My 22nd Dec send to Misotu was of a restarted game (accelerated start gave the same 30 year time warp, so was also MY2131)

I presume from there the game (the restarted one, that is) continued.

Check your SE change costs for an indication of the level. If 40 credits, you are in the restarted game. If 24, look in your e-mail downloads to see where you put the restarted game.

G.

[This message has been edited by Googlie (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old December 27, 2000, 14:06   #29
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

I have clearly got the old version prior to the restart. No point in playing two games simultaneously. I'll just hang onto this and wait for the real game to show up. Who has it?
Old December 27, 2000, 14:20   #30
Googlie
Emperor

Hmmm - maybe I'm the culprit - I assumed the turn I played on Dec 22 was a restart turn (cos I got to pick the six techs, etc) - but maybe I am the last player in the sequence and this was the final round of turn 1 of the original game.

I guess (from my password) that this isn't a moderated game, and that I started it all back in October ( ). So why don't I do just that and rename it OKFIII

G.