Old December 18, 2000, 09:19   #1
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 09:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Tournament announcements - please read
A couple of annonuncements:

1. I am now on holiday and away from my regular computer. Therefore, please send any emails for me to my alternate account, tauc@hotmail.com for the next month or so.

2. The different difficulty levels problem is very sad, both for me and the players affected. I spent time trying to set up balanced games, and the players have spent time playing them, only to get it marred by a program bug. Unfortunately, the only thing that will get rid of the problem is a restart of the affected games; however, that too is annoying as many of them have reached into the 2130s at least.

Therefore I offer that if the player at the higher difficulty level chooses to play on in the face of the odds, he will not lose any tournament score points or count as defeated should he lose, but will still receive the full points should he win. That will allow the games to go on, without the most unfortunate player risking anything, tournament-wise, but still able to get the glory should he overcome the problems. Of course, I will still offer a restart if that is the solution the players prefer.

If someone wants to play on in this manner, post about it here or on the turn thread of the game in question (I do read them).

3. New games have finally been set up; I apologize for the long wait some people (especially XWaste and Vultur) have had to endure, but I hope you enjoy them now that they are here. The games have been checked and are not affected by the difficulty level problem.

4. Season 2 of the tournament ends Dec 31. Now that there are 4 players and cooperative victory is allowed (except on the tournament map), there have been a number of revisions to the score system used. Now you get
  • 3 points for a solo victory
  • 1 point for a team victory
  • 0 points for a submission
  • -1 point for defeat
  • 1 point for each solo victory of a player you have defeated/made submissive (divided equally among the winners in a team victory)
  • 0.5 points for each team victory of a player you have defeated/made submissive (divided equally among the winners in a team victory)
If and when the last remaining opponent gives up, that is counted as defeat, not submission.

The tournament is now also open for explicit team games, where teams of 2 players face off. So if anyone wants to play as a team, let me know. One such game, AXT029, has already started.
Old December 19, 2000, 14:46   #2
Tau Ceti
King

bump
Old December 19, 2000, 16:16   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56

Tau Ceti:

As many of the players are in multiple tourney games, playing different factions, there is a probability that in one game they will be the starting player playing under the transcend "handicap"

So maybe it all balances out in the end if a player is in 3 or more games?

And thanks for all the work you have put into the tourney - your contribution to the gameplaying enjoyment of many of us has been (and still is) immense.

And don't worry about the flaw - new games are clean, and as for the current games, a victory by a "Librarian" is still sweet (as there are 1 or more other "Librarians" as well who could have won) and a win by the "Transcend" player against these odds will be truly impressive indeed.

So again, thanks for the time and effort you have invested.

Googlie
Old December 20, 2000, 18:16   #4
Misotu
Emperor

Local Time: 08:56
Seconded
Old December 24, 2000, 11:22   #5
Tau Ceti
King

Thank you both... It looks like the situation is under control; some games are continuing, some have restarted. Only ACT038 seems to have died as a result, but it is not directly because of the problem.

I hope you all still enjoy your games. Merry Christmas, everyone!
Old January 1, 2001, 16:39   #6
Tau Ceti
King

Happy new year, everyone! Season 2 of the tournament also ended with the old year, and the results can be found here. Congratulations to Misotu, the new champion!
Old January 14, 2001, 19:19   #7
Tau Ceti
King

And I am now back at my regular address, larsheg@sensewave.com .