Old March 30, 2000, 08:35   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:36
Local Date: October 30, 2010
should this be possible?
I was playing the Master Of Orion Jr. scenario on fantastic worlds since I am a fan of the original MOO. When I discovered the location of Orion, I was looking forward to the big battle with the Guardian that is typically neccesary to colonize that tech wonder. instead I sent a diplomat and BRIBED THE GUARDIAN. it's still there, acting as defense for my colony there.
I know the guardian is designated as a barbarian piece, but shouldn't there be some way to make it unbribable? in MOO, any units that got sent to orion were lucky to escape intact and the guardian was the most implacable force around. can I make it the only unit of a civ with no cities that is a democracy or something?
Old March 30, 2000, 10:59   #2
Andz83

You definitely can't. The Barbarians never have any kind of government, I think. But you could try this tricky thing: When you are starting civ2, choose "load saved game". Now go to the scenario folder of moojr and type in "moo_jr.scn". YES, you can LOAD a scenario, because it's just a saved game, not *.sav but *.scn. Anyway, now you should play the civ that starts the scenario in usual way. Don't move any piece, if you don't wnat to destroy the scenario. Just choose "Cheat" from the menu and "Reveal Map" - "Entire Map". Now locate Orion and the Guardian. NOW THE TRICK: Create a weak unit within the fortress the Guardian is located. Now, noone is able to bribe the Guardian nor the weaker unit (e.g. colonist, terraformer). You should use a weak unit, because a powerful one would make it more difficult to capture Orion.
After doing this, you choose "Save as scenario" from the "Cheat"-Menu and save as the same file you loaded (so "moo_jr.scn"). You don't have to cover the map because the "Reveal Map"-Cheat is disabled when saved as scenario. When you now load the scenario (choose "play scenario"...) you won't be able to bribe the Guardian, as I said before.
Good Luck!

------------------
"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?"
Cliff Burton (1962-1986), 1988 ("To Live Is To Die")

Old March 31, 2000, 15:55   #3
Fast_Eddie

ummm, why would you want to do that, which would take a good amount of time, to stop something that is completely avoidable? Just don't use a diplomat.

Old March 31, 2000, 16:02   #4
Andz83

One more time any kind of sucker wants to istruct me about helping people
Surely, he just doesn't have to use a diplomat, but this is a general question. The answer on it can also be helpful in changing scenarios that shall be played in MP. (e.g. MOO )

Also, I set this post to become "Warlord" just before the end of this night. (It's night in Mid-Europe, you know).

One more post, hehehe...

Old April 1, 2000, 01:41   #5
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
In TOT, the units have a flag that, if set, renders that unit unbribable. If you want them bribable but expensive, you can do that, too.

Just one more reason to trade up.
Old April 1, 2000, 03:25   #6
KhanMan
Prince

Local Time: 22:36
Another way to make it really expensive is to open the rules text file for moo jr scenario, and set the cost to build the guardian unit to an enormously high amount.

-KhanMan of the Sayen
Old April 1, 2000, 05:22   #7
Andz83

I for myself considered to post this last possibility, to set the shield cost as high as poosible. But his question was how to make the unit UNBRIBABLE. So that doesn't count... But it's surely a good way to make it more difficult.
[This message has been edited by Andz83 (edited April 01, 2000).]

Old April 5, 2000, 07:50   #8
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 15:36
Thanks, Andz83, but won't the unit I create along with the guardian in the Orion fortress be able to move and possibly wander off?
sorry about taking so lomg to get back. I have to work sometimes.
Old April 5, 2000, 11:57   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Not if you give it a move of zero; I've never done it, but I understand that others have.
Old April 5, 2000, 17:22   #10
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 18:36
Forget that scenario, go for a man's (read: Comrade's) scenario! Red Front!
Old April 6, 2000, 01:24   #11
Mark von Wagner
Prince

If the unit is a barbarian diplomat, it won't wander off. Barbarian leaders never leave a fortress once they are in one.

Mark
Old April 8, 2000, 18:18   #12
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 23:36
No barbarian unit will ever leave a fortress once it gets in one.