Old June 13, 1999, 18:34   #91
Bigcivfan
Settler

Local Time: 08:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
After reading the postings on this site I am a bit confused. Most of the postings are religious arguements, and not contributions to the game design of, what we must all admit, is our religion (sort of, we are all very devoted), CIVILIZATION. Maybe, if we don't want to make religion such a micro-management part of the game we should include it in a menu called Culture. Different (hopefully fictious) religions make up a percentage of your culture giving it bonuses a penalties. Their are other key ideas in the Culture menu (?any ideas?) that are all tied togeather and the religion aspect plays an important part. The more religions your culture is made up off, the more conflict possible, but you also gain bonuses in trade and science for having and tolerating different points of view.
Bigcivfan

<font size=1 color=444444>[This message has been edited by Bigcivfan (edited June 13, 1999).]</font>
Old June 14, 1999, 10:00   #92
CormacMacArt
Warlord

What is it with the bonuses and penalties? Don't you realize that simply interacting with them will CREATE bonuses and penalties?
Old June 14, 1999, 20:28   #93
Bigcivfan
Settler

First of all I must stress again that ANY religion in CivIII should be ficticious, maybe a naming function would allow players to name it "Christianity" or "Islam" (etc.) This would please both players who wanted realistic religions and players that are offended by another religion (or possibly their's being ill represented). I would like to reply to NotLikeTea and Cormac. If you do not advocate bonus and penalty modifiers from religions for CivIII, what effect on the game do you propose they have?
Old June 14, 1999, 20:47   #94
NotLikeTea
Warlord

First of all, I am an advocate of representing nationalism, which would be religion in the early days, patriotism later on.

All cities would have opinions of the other civs, including your own. If a city is conquered, it would prefer the old civ to the new one, and would cause problems. This would be like religions co-existing in one civilization, with different views, etc.

You could use these views. You can try to create more nationalism, wich would turn your cities against opponents, and towards you, making wars easier to fight. Holy wars, in the religions context.. idealogical wars later on.

You could also go in theother direction, and decrease nationalism. Now, the society is more tolerant, and newly "assimilated" cities are easier to manage. Religions tolerance, for example.
Old June 15, 1999, 00:10   #95
NotLikeTea
Warlord

Yay!

That is exactly what I've been advocating all this time.. religions are not structures that will give bonii, but it's how you handle them, and how they handle you.