Old June 10, 1999, 14:47   #61
Ecce Homo
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
There has been nothing new here for a week...

I am summarizing this thread. Hopefully I will be done till tomorrow (Friday). I will wait and see until after the posting to BR whether I will take care of the OTHER thread.
Old June 14, 1999, 03:55   #62
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:20
-=*MOVING THREAD UP*=-

Ecce: So noted.
Old June 14, 1999, 09:32   #63
Picker
Warlord

Local Time: 08:20
Region rebellions, oh yeah.

------------------
The Notorious P.I.K.
"Read my clit, not gonna do it."
Old June 14, 1999, 10:32   #64
Bubba
Warlord

Local Time: 03:20
I didn't read all the ideas, so I apologize for any repeats.

1) If a CTP slavery system is included I would like the ability to choose the city where slaves are sent and also the ability to sell/exchange slaves to other civilizations. If you age going to have a slavery system what good is it if it cannot replicate the brutal slave trade which contributed to the instuition's ultimate demise.

2) I would like the ability to trade/buy cities from other civs and the ability to grant independence to a group of cities or region that were causing me distress (e.g. if the Democracy government type has a high distance and # of cities penalty and some of the far off cities thereby revolt, I could replicate the US & phillipnes Uk & India scenarios.)

3) I agree that an AOE-type of landscape with cliffs & beaches should be adopted.

<font size=1 color=444444>[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited June 14, 1999).]</font>
Old June 14, 1999, 14:52   #65
Robert Miller
Settler

Bridges
- I would like to be able to construct bridges between continents.
- The number of turns and resources required to build the bridge would increase exponentially with the span(length), so as to avoid very long ones.
- Maximum span would also be limited by the date or technology available.
- Bridges could be sabotaged or destroyed, or taken over by other civs.
- Small ships could pass under bridges.
- Larger ships could require that the bridge have a raising mechanism.
- Tolls could be charged to other civs for passing, or passage agreements included in diplomacy; free for allies.
Old June 15, 1999, 15:53   #66
Old Major

When you play on the earth map this feature should be optional; when you build a city its name will be dependant on where you build it, if it's where London is currently, the city should be called London

Old June 15, 1999, 16:40   #67
croxis
Chieftain

Compleatly unrelated to above, but I found no other place to put this. (spelling and grammer will be bad, please excuse this)

Around a year ago this concept was mentond. In the past, communication within a nation was very important to keep the nation together. If citizens didn't hear from its capital for a long time, they might revolt. When you first start the game, the farther away a city is, the more likely it will revolt. Such as having a 1 out of X chance of revolting, and a 1 out of X+X (or some other complex equasion ;-) )chance of seperating from your nation. City size will also effect this, as well as the number of you cities. Having units moving back and forth between citys can lower chances of revolt and seperation by representing comunication between cities. Having roads betwwen cities will also lower chances of revolt. Traid routs will lower chances further, as well as goverment type, and certen technolagies (raidio, television, etc). This will help reduce the problem of "If you build 20 cities in the first 50 turns, you will win the game."
Hopefully you get the idea I'm talking about.

------------------
"A human imprisons one of us? Intolerable!"
-Ulkesh
Old June 15, 1999, 16:59   #68
NotLikeTea
Warlord

I like this, very much.

People have suggested idea for colonies. With this implemented, no special status would be needed. A colony, being far from the main empire, would be naturally more rebellious. Most civs stuck together, mostly...
Old June 15, 1999, 17:08   #69
croxis
Chieftain

I realised that most cives do stick together, but look at the american colanies and Englend (I know, there is more reasons to why US seperated from England then distance). I mostly like the idea because of its stratigic challange. Perhaps this can be an option in the game set up too. Fun over realism and historical correctness, as I always say.

------------------
-Ulkesh
Old June 15, 1999, 22:55   #70
Flavor Dave
Prince

croxis--why would you want to add this particular element of chance?? Also, if you want to talk realism, remember how many years are covered by 20 turns. In that span of time, the colonial past will be largely forgotten, getting rid of the desire for revolts.

Also, the whole point of the game is to build an empire.

And, nobody builds cities like that, not at deity anyway. If you think this makes the game too easy, you can just lower the riot factor. You ARE playing deity, right? Without Hanging Gardens, this kind of expansion is downright impossible. With it, it is merely difficult.
Old June 16, 1999, 04:12   #71
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

-=*MOVING THREAD UP*=-
Old June 16, 1999, 17:07   #72
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 00:20
Ecce Homo: Have you got a summary ready yet? I think it's about time to organize this into some main topics, get rid of anything that's redundant (for example, Religion now has its own thread), and get it into Version 2.0 quickly.

For example, I'd still like to implement a Claim Territory command which would make the early and mid-game a lot more interesting in terms of motivating warfare. At any time, a player could mark out a particularly tempting city radius and "claim" it (giving it a name in the process) until a settler can be produced to build a city there. When you "claim" a territory, you give it a name. When you eventually build a city there, the city takes the name of the territory. The interesting stuff, though, occurs when your settler never gets the chance to build a city, because some other civ builds a city on or near it. You then get to assert your claim, and unless your enemies are feeling extraordinarily accommodating, you're off to war...
Old June 16, 1999, 20:00   #73
croxis
Chieftain

--Dave--I phrased my idea wrong. First, let me explain that my idea comes from my thinking that Civ3 will be a stratagy game, not a simulation. Unit movements defantly don't match the time it takes for a turn. Anyhow, I'm not saying my idea is an important situaltion. Chances of revolt will be low, even if you have two cities on opposite sides of the map. A major reason I like this idea is because there is not enough.....random events in Civ2, to MY likeing. If you have any more ideas for random events, put them down. (I also said, fun OVER realism.)

BTW, nothing personal to you, Dave. I just have fun defending and debating.

------------------
-Ulkesh
Old June 17, 1999, 21:25   #74
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

-=*MOVING THREAD UP*=-
Old June 19, 1999, 00:10   #75
Ecce Homo
Prince

Local Time: 09:20
END OF THREAD

Hopefully, my summary will be up within a few hours.