Old August 13, 1999, 11:17   #1
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
3rd part of Sweep of Time, unofficial (Ver1.0)
Darn, better we start making a list already.

For one, what do you think it should be? Space game seems most popular, but will it follow storyline, eg. humankind starts colonizing from Alpha Centauri? Also, will theer be alien races, or will it be like "Each faction sends one ship to somewhere"? Should there be individual cities on planets, or just Planets? What kind of wonders should there be?

IMHO, it should have City Improvements that would in Civ game be classified as "Wonders", and massive combats of 2000+ ship space armadas. Make it to be like you can hear "Da dum, da dum, dadadadadum" music in your head when you play it. Make it so it will kill people with mere sense of wonder. Make it GOOD.
Old August 13, 1999, 13:35   #2
Jimmy
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:22
I would like to see diversity in the other aliens. I am not talking just physical appearance but in their beliefs, type of society. I am talking about a "what if civ2 had gone differently?" . You might meet an alien race that is still in the bronze age or a alien race that is completely united and has banned wars, or an alien race that is very savage and believes in weapons of mass destruction, or an alien race that does not believe in space travel etc...

And I think that not all planets should be united. Some should be divided into separate countries or factions and some should be united with a supreme leader like in SMAC. When you meet a planet that has countries, you could negotiate with the individual nations, if the planet were united you would meet the supreme leader of the planet that represents the entire planet.
Old August 13, 1999, 15:15   #3
MarkG

from the original announcements, the third part will have to SF. the idea is that you will start a Civ3 game, continue playing on SMAC, and then play the the third part(e.g. with one saved game)

so, what happens after 2400-2500?

Old August 17, 1999, 16:42   #4
Ecce Homo
Prince

Local Time: 09:22
Some civers have called this piece of vapourware "Sid 3". Could that be a suitable codename?

------------------
The best ideas are those that can be improved.
Ecce Homo
Old August 17, 1999, 18:20   #5
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:22
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
What's after 2500? Well, in a game of SMAC, by that date, you're either one with Planet(aka you've Transcended) or you're still quite mortal, but with godlike technology.
Old August 17, 1999, 19:33   #6
MarkG

"vapourware"?
how did you get this?
it has been announced as civ3's "sequel", so?

Old August 18, 1999, 02:48   #7
FinnishGuy
Warlord

No, I wouldn't like to micromanage individual cities on planets. If the 3rd part of the Sweep of Time trilogy is going to be a space empire game (what else could it be...?), I think that planets should take the place of CIV cities. Player could click open a planet window where planet improvements can be built. Hey, a "city" could then be a planet improvement which increases population limit. Player would be able to build several cities, each of which provides more space for population growth (up to a planetary maximum limit).

Jimmy, I agree about alien diversity. But I don't think it would be meaningful to include extremely primitive races since they wouldn't contribute much anyway to the game, except serving as cannon fodder. They could be there in some form, but not as actual races.

Because the ending of SMAC is supposed to affect the starting conditions, I guess you could then start for example as a militant human race (conquest victory in SMAC), or a business oriented one (economic victory), or as a "planet mind" (transcendence).

The "godlike" technology acquired in SMAC would be at the lowest level of the new tech tree. Hmm, perhaps there could be partly overlapping trees in the two games... You know, if you win in SMAC before you have all the techs, some of the most advanced SMAC techs must then be researched first in the 3rd game.

But... most probably there won't be a wishlist, or not one that would be taken into consideration by Firaxis. Sid is personally thinking out the game, and the word is he's been working on it for some time already.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by FinnishGuy (edited August 18, 1999).]</font>
Old August 18, 1999, 10:25   #8
SnowFire
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 03:22
Stefu, this is really premature. We really have NO CLUE what the Secret Project is going to be about. It could be one of many things, only one being a MOO II like game. How can we give suggestions for it?

By the way, everyone I know refers to it as "Sid Meier's Secret Project" or just the Secret Project, a la SMAC.
Old August 20, 1999, 11:45   #9
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, we can give clues and suggestions for all types of games imaginable - I think that MOOIII type is the most propable. Also better premature than overmature.
Old August 20, 1999, 11:46   #10
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, we can give clues and suggestions for all types of games imaginable - I think that MOOIII type is the most propable. Also better premature than overmature.