Old October 22, 1999, 04:43   #1
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 04:25
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Future of This Project and "Unauthorized Threads..."
Well, I'm deep in the mind-numbingly tedious process of making the list "look nice," although I must say that the standardized numbering system will save me a good 10 hours (versus doing it by hand with version 1--the thought still pains me on some bio-chemical level).

Barring any feedback from Firaxis to the contrary, I don't think a version 3 will be necessary. Plus, like with Blair Wolf, a Firaxis person can always ask for our feedback on a specific topic--which is more helpful anyway.

This means I will not be hunting down "unauthorized" threads. Perhaps the forum should 'run free' for a while until we hear something from Firaxis. However, I'm still open to feedback, so let me know what you think.

Yin

Old October 22, 1999, 09:11   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Re-reading my thread, I think I should clarify:

If you guys generally think a version 3 is necessary, please express your thoughts. Personally, I'd much rather wait for a positive sign from Firaxis before we invest a lot more time into another version. Of course, this forum should still serve as a place to post Civ 3 ideas.

Anyway, I'm not sure I was clear...
Old October 22, 1999, 11:51   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 03:25
I'm with you. Unless they ask...

You have done a great job so far! I know you still have tons of work to do with version 2, but I just wanted to thank you anyway.
Who knows what impact it will have on the final game? But who cares. You have done the best job you can, and we can't ask anything else of you.

I play on keeping the Cheat Thread alive as long as people keep coming up with more cheats. It is now the most comprehensive list of cheats available anywhere. That alone was worth all the work.

AGAIN.... THANK YOU!
Ming
Old October 22, 1999, 11:56   #4
evil conquerer
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:25
The graphics thread has been going really slowly, but I guess I can keep it going. At the rate submissions are coming in, we don't need a version 3, but we can always change that if stuff happens.
Old October 22, 1999, 13:26   #5
EnochF
Prince

Local Time: 00:25
Actually, there were some things I was... putting off... until Version 3. Especially with Terrain.

I know things are slow at the moment, but all we need is one or two requests from Firaxis, and the forum will be on fire again. It's the fall, which means all the college students who hang out at this site have free net access, and they're going to be reading the threads and using their brain power to make suggestions instead of writing their essays, just like last year and the year before. Things'll pick up. Version 3 should happen. I think it would be nice to {bump} all the official threads back into plain view, though.

I'll admit, however, that the novelty of hosting a thread has long since worn off, and I think of it as work now... We may have to seek out fresher minds.
Old October 23, 1999, 00:08   #6
Theben
Deity

I say, finish up these lists, send 'em in, and wait and see. There hasn't been a lot of new discussion lately anyway.

That said, someone should be able to BUMP up the threads every 10 days (unless people actually post), and to cut comments from the summaries forum, post them here, and keep BUMPing those summaries as well; eventually locking the summaries so only the TM's can BUMP them (if possible).
Old October 23, 1999, 07:07   #7
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Well, I want to thank all you guys for sticking it out this long. Ming: Thanks for the pep talk!

I agree we should hold on and see what comes from Firaxis. Also, if TMs are tired and want to move on, that's totally understandable. I'm amazed at what we have accomplished so far, to tell you the truth.
Old October 30, 1999, 19:07   #8
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 00:25
I have an idea but don't know where should it go. I noticed that the first part of the civII game is really fast, but then it goes slower and slower. That really hurts the game play. So I come up with this idea.

Define a tech of 'megalopolis' and after you researched it, you can put 4 of your cities together(must be close to one another) into one megalopolis. In this megalopolis 4 cities share resources and you gain a plus for tax, science, luxury, food, and shields (say +20% to the total of 4 cities).

You can manage one megalopolis instead of 4 cities, thus reduce city main time to a fraction. If you lose one city, the megalopolis is gone but you still have the remaining cities.

In a megalopolis all things are shared: if one city has a city wall, then all 4 cities's defense increase by 50%; if two city walls, 100%; 3 walls, 200%, 4 walls, 400%.

All units in any of the 4 cities respond to attacks (if not in the same city being attacked, they lose the fortification status and 1/3 of strength when respond).

After merging into megalo, you can build 4 units/improvements each turn and assign them to any of the 4 (which means you can put all 4 in one city, provided the city does not already have the same things).

There can be another tech 'group army'. After you researched it, you can build group army in a megalopolis. A group army consists of 4 units of the same type. It's moving points is the same as any of the unit inside it, but can attack 4 times like 4 units. Thus you move 4 units at a time and save time in moving.

The benifit of a group army is that when it is on defense, any unit inside the group gain supportive fire from other units of the group. Thus a group army is more difficult to get eliminated. You must defeat it 4 times in order to reduce it to naught.

If a group army is defeated it reduces its defense and may retreat to a neighboring square. If it can go back to a megalopolis it can be repaired to full strength. Thus even if a group army is defeated 3 times it can still back to a formidable status.