Old December 2, 1999, 02:50   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 04:26
Local Date: October 31, 2010
YIN! Mission for you!
Yin, I have found a game forum that needs your guidance!

Some posters complain about a rushed buggy game, a Legend who's reputation is being tarnished by this game, the company not paying any attention to them on the official forums!

Sound familiar? Well, it isn't the SMAC forums, no.. Ultima IX: Ascension boards! Can't you see they need you to lead the way. They need you to call all the Origin defenders idiots! Your new mission awaits!

{Disclaimer: This was, obvioiusly, a sarcastic post. Showing that Firaxis isn't alone in this yelling. Interesting tidbit is that Origin is a subsidy of Electronic Arts. Perhaps the problem here is EA and NOT Firaxis or Origin?}
Old December 3, 1999, 22:35   #2
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Imran,

Actually, I've been watching that board rather carefully, since I pre-ordered the Dragon Edition weeks ago. It's sitting here, uninstalled now. Why? I'm waiting for the first patch(es). The only reason I ordered so early is that the Ultima series has a lot of history with me, so I wanted that DE badly.

One big difference I will note, though, is that the Ultima team at least admitted to the problems quite quickly, pooled helpful fixes from the fans, and made it MUCH easier to at least try to tweak our systems until the patch comes out. Yes, it is still a huge disappointment to have to go through all this, but at least the staff isn't screaming: "User error!"

Anyway, I can't imagine myself ever trying to champion such a cause. I'm too tired these days. =) I simply want to enjoy my games...

By the way, I don't recall any posts from you over there. What's holding you up?
Old December 4, 1999, 05:51   #3
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Hey! Look closely! All my posts are on the game! I have no problems with the game myself (God Bless Gateway ).

I'm awefully happy with it! And Patch 1.05 is out now!

What a wonderful game though!
Old December 4, 1999, 20:13   #4
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Imran,

Sorry. I must have missed your posts! Well, I'll have to check out the patch. =) By the way, what do you like about the game?

Yin
Old December 4, 1999, 23:48   #5
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Well, Yin. I take it from your other posts that you have played some RPGs. Maybe you have played Fallout and Baldur's Gate. If you have, you know how immersive they were. Ascension is MUCH more immersive! It feels as if you are actually participating in a story. Every town has a different feel (not to mention different music), which immerses you further. And it isn't just the same hack-and-slash. There are plenty of puzzles and wierd things to do . Also, there are NO load times for this huge game! A feat in itself.

Add to that a damn good story (some of which refers to problems of our societies), which challenging gameplay and I can't put this one down!

However, you may want to get the strartegy guide. Some parts of the game are hard or frustrating. But the main jewel of the strategy guide is that it is what the manual should be! The manual is basically about stories, blah! The Strat guide gives you concrete NUMBERS, so you can see how much beter that two-handed sword is from that war hammer, and etc.
Old December 5, 1999, 03:37   #6
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Imran,

I asked some more questions in the Off-Topic! =)