Old October 9, 1999, 11:41   #91
kengel
Prince

Local Time: 00:19
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hi all, I will be on holiday for a week, and superstar will subbing me. Wish all a lot of fun with the game! By the way: Sent it yesterday to superstar... See ya!

------------------
greets from the Warrior of sky

Old October 12, 1999, 04:26   #92
Monkey
King

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: October 30, 2010
iS THIS game still running? Anyone here thinks the new graphics look cheesy? Especially the purple sad face....
Old October 14, 1999, 07:47   #93
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 17:19
Yeah, what happened to the game? the last time that I saw it was Oct 9!
Old October 14, 1999, 13:22   #94
Superstar
Prince

Did someone post it to Kengel?
I think he's on holiday and so the game should have been sent to me
Old October 14, 1999, 13:23   #95
Superstar
Prince

Did someone post it to Kengel?
I think he's on holiday and so the game should have been sent to me
Old October 14, 1999, 20:43   #96
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 16:19
I have it but not from zeebo who is the person before me. Should I play zeebo's and my turn as well?
Old October 14, 1999, 23:02   #97
Superstar
Prince

yes, It's been so long now I think it's justified
Old October 18, 1999, 07:57   #98
kengel
Prince

Hi, I am back from holiday.
Seems, I didnīt miss much of the game, although I hoped it has gone on...
Whats the actual stand? has Makeo posted it already?
I think, this is a typical case for the new rule I sent to you in the PBEM mail #6, so I also think Makeo should do his and the turn of zeebo and post it on to me.

------------------

Old October 18, 1999, 08:05   #99
kengel
Prince

Here is the PBEM mail #6 I sent to you already per email, just to archieve it here...

"After the reply I got for my suggestion to post the game to the next two
players I think the rule is accepted by all, at least there was nobody
protesting against it (I think some of you already practize it).
So I declare it as a new rule in our PBEM game!
Well, what does it mean in detail?

- Every player post his turn to the next two following players (lets call
them "A" and "B")

- The second next player (B) may continue the game, if he did not get the
move from the player before (A) till next day. That gives A two chances to
move: the regular move on the same day he gets the file, and a second
chance till 24h after that.

- If B continues the game, he has to do the CTRL + N press instead of player A, cause otherwise AI would do a lot of chaos to the civ of A.

Exceptions:

- If player A encounters a key situation which will heavily influence the future game play, player A may do a "veto" as soon as he is back. The game will be reset to his turn.

- If for some reason it is not the fault of player A that he missed his turn (email error, the subbing player slept or whatever), the game will be reset to this turn if A wishes so.

I hope, this is the best compromise. The exceptions are to avoid that players loose interest in the game cause of one turn they were not able tomove (perhaps, some barbs captured the capital or it is anarchy again after democracy... ). Well, all that may be discussed further if anyone of you guys do not agree to that, I do not wanna be some kind of dictatoric... "

------------------

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kengel (edited October 18, 1999).]</font>
Old October 18, 1999, 11:14   #100
Monkey
King

Could everyone please post to my normal email account mywon1@student.monash.edu.au ...

I thought I might be the one holding up the game by not checking my hotmail account. Whew... lucky there was no game in my hotmail account.
Old October 20, 1999, 04:48   #101
kengel
Prince

Since Zeebo and Makeo seems not to be online for days now, I asked MacUser for his move and he sent it to me. If both of them will not respond today till 17.00 GMT, I will continue the game by Ctrl-N moving for Zeebo and Makeo. I think, this game is sticking long enough now, I hope it is in the consense of you all.

------------------

Old October 25, 1999, 17:59   #102
kengel
Prince

Makeo sent me email, he will be busy for about two weeks, and asked me for subbing him; I will do so.
Best regards

------------------

Old October 29, 1999, 08:46   #103
kengel
Prince

since about three weeks I didn't get any message from zeebo. Since he
seems to be not availible for a longer time now, I decided to sub him
preliminary so that the game can go on a little bit faster now.

Hope, this is in agreement to all; if not, please reply me.

------------------

Old November 16, 1999, 21:32   #104
kengel
Prince

well, where is the game? I saw it last on friday...

------------------

Old November 19, 1999, 12:45   #105
kengel
Prince

PBEM MAIL #7

Hi all,

it is time for a new PBEM mail letter!

The last some weeks the game runs pretty well... Good work guys!
Thanx to all for your patience and continuity, I enjoy it! :-)

Well, this are the topics, a bad one and a good one:
1. Makeo has left the game!!!
I had a chat with him two days ago, and he told me he is doin his exam at the moment and then goin to the states, sadly not be able to play further... So he allowed me to give his civ to someone else. The last two or three weeks I subbed for him and could continue till a new player joins.
The time schedule for this move would be somewhere between 5.00 EST and 12.00 EST, thats 10.00 GMT - 17.00 GMT. I thought first on pastieman, the brother of superstar, but to my knowledge he cannot do it during this time. The next one in order should be Eddy (see Apolyton thread), I sent email to him if he is interested to join.
If anyone of you knows any player who could be interested to join, let me know!
2. A chance for diplomacy?
You know, the big problem in the PBEM game is the diplomacy. Principally it is possible to make diplomatic contacts with all the interesting things, the other diplomatic partner just needs to be online! And due to the time scheduling, this is sometimes pretty difficult...
The good news is, up to now I have two PCs and on both of them I can run the game. So if two of you wanna get diplomatic contact but cannot meet online, I offer to do it for you. In detail this means, you and your partner agree per email what you wanna xchange & trade, and then you contact me somehow and I will do the diplomatics for you on the both PCs.
Additionally, to avoid any hic hac with AI diplomatics, tune your attitude to all other leaders to either adoring (if you wanna keep peace with them) or fuming (if you wanna war with them).

Thats all!
Now I wish you all good luck and a lot of fun goin on!

------------------

Old November 22, 1999, 11:14   #106
kengel
Prince

PBEM Mail #8

Hi all!

Well, that didn't last long for the next Mail letter...

1. Welcome Eddy!
I am happy to introduce Eddy to you, who will take over the civ from Makeo. I emailed him all the last letters, and wish him much fun with the game!

Macuser: From now on post to zeebo & Eddy,
Zeebo: From now on post to Eddy & me
Eddy: you post to me and to superstar

2. Since summertime is over now in most countries, here is the actual posting time list (the dayly time, to which you should have post latest your move to the next)

Skryke: 22.00 EST = 03.00 GMT
MacUser: 01.00 EST = 06.00 GMT
Zeebo: 05.00 EST = 10.00 GMT
Eddy: 09.00 EST = 14.00 GMT
Kengel: 13.00 EST = 18.00 GMT
Superstar: 17.00 EST = 22.00 GMT
Monkey: 19.00 EST = 00.00 GMT

And now, good luck to all!

------------------

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kengel (edited November 22, 1999).]</font>
Old January 5, 2000, 01:50   #107
kengel
Prince

PBEM Mail #9

Hi all,

first I wish you all a happy new year and a lot of fun for the ongoing PBEM game!

After the xmas- stress and holyday is over, I hope the game will speed up again a little bit

Two topics this time:

- First, since the moving time for one player changed, there is a new timescheduling for the posting time (= the latest time to which you should have done and posted on your move). I appeal to you all not to exceed this time, it really can help to speed up game!
"EST" means Eastern time (the timezone Apolyton uses)
"GMT" = Greenwich mean time

Zeebo: 13.00 EST = 18.00 GMT
Eddy: 15.00 EST = 20.00 GMT
Kengel: 16.00 EST = 21.00 GMT
Superstar: 17.00 EST = 22.00 GMT

To be sure that I calculated the right moving times for you all, I will send you a further email which you can reply if you see I did any errors.

- The second thing:
Eddy came up with a nice idea: How about sending every PBEM player a message when you did a turn? I would suggest an empty email just with one subject line like "PBEM turn sent to XYZ". So every player knows where the turn is now, it doesn't waste much online time and the other players can estimate if their move will arrive today or not. Thats just a suggestion; I will do it from now on. Please reply me what you think about it, or just do it

Wish you a lot of fun with the game!

------------------

Old January 24, 2000, 05:15   #108
Monkey
King

Just thought I would push up this old thread up again. can we use this thread for diplomacy? I don't know too much about the inner details of a civ2 internet game so I'm not quite sure how diplomacy would be conducted.

But if anyone in this game is still reading this, I invite you all to join the Mongols on their world wide domination program!!!!

The Great MonkeyKhan will be coming!!!!!
Old January 24, 2000, 15:28   #109
kengel
Prince

Hehe... Rumors have it, that real mongols don't know the word "diplomacy"...

Seriously, Monkey is completely right, we should discuss out the diplomatic thing here! Although I think, since this is a PBEM game, some of our players won't have the (online) time to go through the forum. Anyway.

Here is a question MacUser asked per email:
Q: "How should we handle diplomacy? In fear of being attacked by a civ that I am currently at peace, I could send an emissary and let the AI withdraw the attacking troops. But in a real MP game that would require at least a conversation with numerous possible outcomes. What to do... I saved my turn both with and without foreign advisor move. Give me a consensus on what I should/could do before I forward the move."

my suggestion: "My suggestion would be NOT to use the AI diplomatic contact window, cause the other player has no chance to influence the AI acting in any way. If you want the other player to withdraw his troops, tell him so . If the other player is serious about the peace treaty, he will react
adequately.
To my knowledge, AI won't take over the other player to any time, so you needn't be afraid of changes done by AI in the official relationship without the willing of the other player.
There are possibilities to get a human vs human diplomatic contact, although it is a little bit difficult. I see two possibilities:
- The best one is you simply make an internet date with the other player and you do the diplomacy as usual in a MP game. Of course I know this is sometimes difficult to manage.
- The other way is, you find someone who will sub the other PBEM player in this game with his authorization to avoid the different-time-zone-problem.
- The last possibility is, you both agree about what diplomatics to do and send the information and the game file to me. I have the possibility to run the game on two PC's, so I can sub both players and do the diplomatics for you. I don't really like it, because that means it is inavoidable that
I get game information from both of you, and I am still one of the PBEM players "

(you may have a look at the PBEM mail #7 four post top of this one here)

------------------

Old January 24, 2000, 16:10   #110
kengel
Prince

Monkey: There are big differences between AI and human diplomacy.
In human to human diplomacy you principally can give, exchange or demand on any of theese goods: money, tech, units, cities, maps (with or without your city positions), contracts or war declaration to third.
There aren't any limits at all, you can trade (or give or demand on) whatever you want.

Another important thing is you can tune your attitude to every other leader between venerating and fuming (see the foreign minister menu, there is an additionally button you can use when you mark one civ). If you are in peace with someone, just change the attitude to venerating, if you wanna have war with him, change it to fuming. This helps to avoid any trouble when someone else moves, meets your civ and the AI forces him to some diplomatic contact.

------------------

Old January 25, 2000, 08:34   #111
Monkey
King

Hey that's pretty good. As far as I know half the stuff you mention isn't even present in CTP PBEM. Then again CTP did have a dodgy diplomacy model to begin with.
Old February 18, 2000, 01:47   #112
kengel
Prince

PBEM Mail #10

Dear PBEM players,

a new PBEM bug is found!!!!

When I started my 1500 BC turn, I was little surprised about I didn't build the pyramids which I rushbuilt the turn before. Well, it was not really surprising because Superstar did it just in time before me
But what me really surprised was that I was building Colossus instead !!! I never intended to do so or changed the production to it. So what happened?
After Superstar built his pyramids, the program automatically checks the others (now AI) civs if they are building the pyramid wonder also. If so, the program changes the production type in the city window to another wonder type (if availible) or something other (f.e. a warrior) if no wonder for the civ is possible to build.
So in our example the program detected me building the pyramids in Washington and changed the production to Colossus (and of course most of the other civs wonder production also changed), so when it is my turn I built Colossus. Then the program told me that other civs were changing production, especially poor monkey looses completely his shields because AI turned his shield to a warrior or whatever.

Well, what now? It cost me some headache and a programming night, but: here we are, I am proud to present a new civ2 utility to fix this "bug"!
It is called "cityrest.exe" and is a small MS-DOS executable. It changes the Cityproduction as stored in a saved game back to another production type by manipulating the saved game. More in detail, the information about what is produced in a particular city is stored in a single byte, and if this byte is backchanged the wonders will be produced again when reloading the game.

To restore the production in a particular city, you need two files:

sourcefile : this is an old saved game turn in which your city is already producing whatever you want to be kept producing (i.e. this would be your last saved file)

destinationfile : this would be the new save file you get from your foreplayer, in which your cityproduction was changed for example from "colossus" to "warrior" (the old shields value is still availible)

now you can restore the production type simply by opening a DOS session and typing in
cityrest sourcefile destinationfile cityname

an example:
"cityrest ab_b1550.net ab_b1500.net washington"
restores my pyramids production in "ab_b1500.net" I rushbuilt in "ab_b1550.net" in my city Washington.

You can simply start the program without any parameters to get a short
help how to use it.

Well, that was it; if you have questions or comments just tell me or post it

------------------
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kengel (edited February 17, 2000).]</font>
Old September 13, 2000, 05:48   #113
kengel
Prince

PBEM Mail #11

Hi all, I am happy to introduce a new player for Superstars old civ, the greeks.
Welcome, Ian! Have fun at the game

Still, there are two players pausing: Skryke and Zeebo; I hope they are still interested in the game...
Skryke is momentarly subbed by MacUser, and Zeebo is subbed by Eddy.

Here is the updated list for the time you latest should have post your turn (it didn't change, but please please please hold in the times for game speed

Zeebo: 13.00 EST = 18.00 GMT
Eddy: 15.00 EST = 20.00 GMT
Kengel: 16.00 EST = 21.00 GMT
Ian: 17.00 EST = 22.00 GMT

Now, have fun with the game!

------------------
Old January 4, 2001, 14:07   #114
kengel
Prince

Finally, the vacant civs in our game have new players now, so it is again a REAL seven player game
Although the active player number increased significantly, I hope the game will speed up again after xmas time is over. The new players were choosen in an order which should fit into a timeplan, which theoretically allows one turn per day (well, "theoretically" )

White (Romans): Milo
Green (Babylons): MacUser
Blue (French): Dave
Yellow (Egypts): Eddy
Cyan (Americans): kengel
Orange (Greeks): Ian
Purple (Mongols): SparrowHawk

Preliminary "furloughs" and nearly since a year missed old player of the romans: skryke
Please send your turn to the next two players in order and also a notification message at least to me.

I didn't setup a new time schedule yet, since I would like to have your actualized moving times first (from some I already got them, please just repeat, thanx). Also, there arises some questions about game rules, which I would like to be voted out democratically (per email).
  • Up to now City bribing is not allowed; would you like that bribing barbarian cities should be allowed?
  • Should unit bribing be allowed or not?
  • Should stealing advances be allowed or not?
  • Should trading advances be allowed or not?
Old January 4, 2001, 14:14   #115
kengel
Prince

Here are the results of the game rules voting for our PBEM game:
  • City bribing will keep forbidden, also barbarian city bribing is forbidden. ( 4 no, 1 yes, 2 abs.)
  • From now on, human unit bribing will be forbidden ( 3 no, 2 yes, 2 abs.). However, barbarian unit bribing is allowed ( 2 no, 3 yes, 2 abs.)
  • Stealing technologies is still allowed ( 1 no, 5 yes, 1 abs.)
  • Trading technologies is still allowed (1 no, 5 yes, 1 abs.)

However, please keep in mind that every peaceful diplomatic action must be in agreement to the other player. Every aggressive action (fights, stealing, sabotaging etc.) must be reported to the other player. If in agreement to the other player, any possibility of diplomatic contact (AI, online meeting or loading on a second PC) are allowed for tech or map
trading.

Furthermore, there is a new time scheduling: Given are the latest times for when you should have forward your turn to the next player.
EST= (american) Eastern Standard Time, GMT = Greenwich Mean Time
  • White (Romans): Milo 5.00 EST = 10.00 GMT
  • Green (Babylons): MacUser 7.00 EST = 12.00 GMT
  • Blue (French): Dave 14.00 EST = 19.00 GMT
  • Yellow (Egypts): Eddy 16.00 EST = 21.00 GMT
  • Cyan (Americans): kengel 17.00 EST = 22.00 GMT
  • Orange (Greeks): Ian 19.00 EST = 24.00 GMT
  • Purple (Mongols): SparrowHawk 24.00 EST = 5.00 GMT

This time scheduling should match at least to your possible times; if not please send me a note.

Have fun at the game
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by kengel (edited January 04, 2001).]</font>
Old January 5, 2001, 01:53   #116
kengel
Prince

For the log:

Monkey as well as Zeebo left the game for private reasons. Also, there is no message from Skryke for nearly a year now, making it evident to find a new player for him.

Meantime, new players were found; see http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum2/HTML/001942.html for the search.
Old February 15, 2001, 22:11   #117
kengel
Prince

Howdy,

we, Abraham Lincoln, leader of the now better feeling american folk would like to let you know that we finished a great project the last turn:
Michelangelos Chappel!

However, we noticed another civ was also building this wonder and under AI control it changed to something other (perhaps a warrior?). Since this is an AI artefact, I used (for the second time) the small
little city-production-restauration utility (see also PBEM mail #10 for details) to rescue the other ones shields.

There should be nothing else influenced in the game except for that the one city which was producing michel's chappel now keeps on producing it.
However, if you notice problems just let me know!

Have fun all in the game

------------------
Old April 8, 2001, 11:25   #118
kengel
Prince

The king is dead, long live the king...

Milo left the game (as well as Civ2 in general it seems? )

However:
it is a great pleasure to introduce a new player to you, who will take over the temperamentful old roman civ. He is known for his wise leadership. He is a master of the sea. Friends highly estimate him. Enemies fear his strategic power. And he is a worshiper of the fine art of brewing good beer and celebrating good fests:

Welcome, Crustacian!

Keep care for the old roman civ
Old October 22, 2001, 15:08   #119
kengel
Prince

Just an update since Carolus asked for this thread

(oh.... did you noticed we passed the second anniversary of this game? )

first, the game slowed down massively due to a missing Crusty...
Let's hope he is not affected by the terrorism (the last message from him was before Sept. 11th... )
Now, he will be subbed preliminary by MacUser.

Eddy has left the game after moving to the U.S., but will probably come back after a undefined while. He will now be subbed by Carolus Rex.

Besides that, there was found evidence for another AI-Bug...
Everytime when a civilization is attacked and a city is captured, in some cases it happened that AI changes the production in the other cities of the attacked civ.
This effect can be repaired by the "cityrest.exe" tool, but it is a pain to do it for every city...
If this effect happens again, please let me know, I will work for an update-tool to repair this bug.
Old October 23, 2001, 07:34   #120
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 01:19
It is an honor to be part of this old and venerable PBEM game!

Eddy is moving to the States? I didn't know that... As if it isn't difficult enough to find players within a reasonable time zone...

My first turn was a disaster. A lot of cities revolting and a lot of units on goto command. My guess is that the AI was in charge, but it's ok.

The Egyptians will soon rise to their former glory!

Carolus