Old March 29, 2000, 06:37   #31
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:29
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thanks guys. Was Stars simultaneous turns? I know a guy at work who loves the pants of it, and is anxiously waiting for the new one.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to play at least one...

- MKL
Old March 29, 2000, 10:16   #32
MadWoodster
Warlord

Local Time: 08:29
I don't think Stars was simultanous from what I remember. It did have a great patrol option though
Old March 30, 2000, 03:00   #33
Grier
Warlord

Stars was simultanious turns otherwise playing by email would have been impossible.

And the good news is that a new version of Stars is in production.
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Grier (edited March 30, 2000).]</font>
Old March 30, 2000, 20:59   #34
MidKnight Lament
King

Hey, I didn't realise there was a shareware version of Stars! Only 1.5 meg too! I went and downloaded it last night. Didn't get far into the tutorial because I had other things to do, but it looks good. Looks a little complicated actually, but complexity can be great in the long run.

On top of that, a guy at work has said that after I get used to it a bit, I can go round to his place where we can play against each other and his brother on a network.

I've got a lot of game-playing to do. I've been wanting something new to stick my teeth into. And a new one coming out soon as well!

- MKL
Old March 31, 2000, 03:49   #35
Grier
Warlord

Stars is a great game, although you do have to do a lot of micromanaging as you get on in the game, but it is designed to be played be email so you only take a turn every couple of days or so.

Tip: Its best to create your own custum race. I would choose alternate reality, then set set immunity for gravity, temperature, and radiation. Set the energy conversion factor as low as possible and set growth rate at about 4% to 5%. Your race gains more resources the higher your energy tech level, so it is important to have this at 50% of normal cost. Your race can also remote mine its own planets so advanced mineing is a good idea, also as your colonists will all live on your space stations then advanced starbases is a must.
During play your race may develop slughtly slower than other players, but remember other players have to waste resources on building mines and factorys. Your best advantage is that that you can colonise every planet, making your empire very dense and powerfull, also you can build the Death Star - the most powerfull entity in the universe.

Have fun.
Old April 2, 2000, 09:02   #36
MidKnight Lament
King

Thanks for the tips. I just went through the 80 screen tutorial, and I've got more of an idea what's going on now. I was thinking myself that there might be a bit of micro-managing involed, but I wasn't sure how much you could cut down on it with all those queues and automation.

- MKL
<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited April 02, 2000).]</font>