Old December 7, 1999, 04:10   #1
L o k i

Sid Meiers New Game
Now, I know that this game isn't civ3. But what I think I know is that the game will be a part of Civ3. And it is now clear that it will come before Civ3.

So it will go in the order of Dinosaurs to Civ3 to Alpha Centauri. Fits in nicely!

The reason I'm saying this is because there doesn't seem to be anywhere to discuss it.

I want to hear some of your views and opinions about the idea of a dinosaur game and then merging(?)into civ3.

Old December 7, 1999, 05:19   #2
Thall

I'm not sure if I like the idea of starting off in the Dinosaur age (or whatever). I mean, the game is called 'Civilization', and Civ 1, Civ 2 and Civ CTP have IMHO done the completely right thing in starting where it ought to start - when a tribe is out looking to start a new civilization.

Old December 7, 1999, 05:29   #3
MarkG

well, it's about time we try to see why dinosaurs failed

imagine it: start up as one dinosaur, make a whole dinosaurian civilization, lose, then start with humans on civ3!!

Sid, please dont drive us crazy!
[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited December 07, 1999).]

Old December 7, 1999, 05:59   #4
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
If Technophile had posted this as a scoop, I know what I'd be thinking. It seems to horrible to be true. How can something so purposeless as evolution be made into a strategy game? If our thought are confirmed I'll be wishing it that egg had been a tamagotchi after all. NO, the correct way for Sid's Next Big Thing to go is a Pokemon RTS. Anyone fancy making a Pokemon mod pack?
Old December 7, 1999, 10:48   #5
Zulu Elephant
Prince

C'mon Sid wont come up with a dog of a game.
He'll have thought this through - and who says it's going to be a civ style game anyway?

Also what if it isn't set in the age of the dinosaurs - Maybe it'll be a Jurassic Park style sthing where dinosaurs are brought back to life and battle it out with humans
(just an idea - I'm sure other people could improve on it)
Old December 7, 1999, 18:20   #6
Thall

Earlier I posted:

Quote:
I'm not sure if I like the idea of starting off in the Dinosaur age (or whatever). I mean, the game is called 'Civilization', and Civ 1, Civ 2 and Civ CTP have IMHO done the completely right thing in starting where it ought to start - when a tribe is out looking to start a new civilization.
Sorry, I misunderstood Loki's post. I thought Loki was saying how Civ 3 itself could start in the Dinosaur age, and I answered accordingly.

I like the idea of a Dinosaur type game. It'd be interesting to see how it goes with the rest of the series.

Old December 7, 1999, 19:14   #7
MarkG

mischievous conclusion: so now the ai is justifiable to be dumb. what kind of intelligenece did dinosaurs have?

Old December 8, 1999, 04:14   #8
Biddles
Prince

More on this in 'I practically froze ...' thread.

Maybe people are jumping to conclusions in assuming that this is a dinosaur game.
Remember, dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago (along with 85% of species). So if the game goes for 65 million years (as the fifth banner suggests) than it would start 65 million years ago, at a time when there was no dominant species.

Banner 3:

[quote]Requires a brain bigger than a walnut.[quote]

Most dinosaurs had brains bout the size of walnuts. This would suggest we are not dealing with dino's.

Banner 6:

[quote]Big feet. Small arms. And everything in between.[quote]

It's the last sentence that make me think. It's already been stated that dinosaurs have big feet and small arms, but this suggests everything else as well.
If I had to make a geuss I would say that this is a game that begins just after the asteriod impact that killed off the dinosaurs. There is a level playing field because all the dominant species were killed. I would geuss that it involves the player picking a class of animal (mammal, bird, fish, reptile) (or even more specific: monkey, bear, cat, crocodile, lizard etc.) and guiding that species to the present day while avoiding being pushed out by the other species. Each of these species has the possibility of becoming intelligent but maybe the world is only big enough for one intelligent species and the goal is not to be one of those that become extinct.

Looks like 'tech advances' would be replaced by 'evolutions' or if 'tech advances' are still used there would be some other system by which your species evolves.

Just my view but I think it fits better than a dino game would.

- Biddles

Old December 8, 1999, 05:28   #9
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

I think Biddles has done some very insightful lit-crit on the advert. I think hes right. BTW my earlier post was mostly a joke, I can't imagine Sid doing a bad game but nor can I imagine a good dinosaur strategy game.
Old December 8, 1999, 10:47   #10
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 10:48
Damn, I hoped it would begin with the first humans spreading out of Africa, and your goal would be to evolve your people with things like Fire and Dog Domestication to a city state, where Civ3 would begin.

I can't possible imagine what can be fun in a 65-million-to-now evolution game.
Old December 8, 1999, 11:10   #11
L o k i

"65 million years in the making."

Is this saying that AFTER the MAKING of 65 million years ago, we begin to start playing?
That's what it's saying right?

Do you wonder if these people at Firaxis over-looked at what these banners actually say? They probably got some of it wrong.

And biddles, when it's saying "requires a brain bigger than a walnut". It's obviously not talking about what's in the game, but whose playing it. But the clue in there is saying that we are probably dealing with Dinosaurs.
Still, it is confusing.

Old December 8, 1999, 11:27   #12
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:48
I remember years ago reading some post on the usenet about how cool it would be to start a game of SimEarth, follow it through to the rise of civilization, import the game state into a game of CivII, follow it through to the Alpha Centauri ending, and then import the game state into MOOII (This was before SMAC came out...) From the things I have read from Firaxis (go back and read the press releases for CivIII-namely the "Sweep of Time" stuff) I think that Sid is plotting something like this.
Old December 8, 1999, 21:22   #13
Biddles
Prince

Is that possible with SMAC? The other two haven't been made yet so that could still be implemented in them. It would be great if you could.
Old December 9, 1999, 03:22   #14
L o k i

I think they said they're going to upgrade SMAC to todays standards aswell.

Old December 9, 1999, 06:09   #15
johnmcd
Apolyton University
King

I think they should start by upgrading SMAC to yesterdays standards so it might at least be fun...
Old December 9, 1999, 06:18   #16
Biddles
Prince

I think that the people at firaxis would be sitting back and laughing at all of us puzzling over what the hell those banners are supposed to mean.

- Biddles
Old December 9, 1999, 06:23   #17
Biddles
Prince

By the way, if they are upgrading SMAC, are they just going to refit it so your save games can be carried over or are they going to redo it and make SMAC2?

- Biddles
Old December 9, 1999, 10:03   #18
L o k i

I think it will be a SMAC2.

But I'm also strongly thinking that Civ3 won't stop at the launch but will stop at the end of SMACS ending.
That's how long I think it will be.
And it would be the easier for them to do it that way than make two seperate games and then link them. Though.... they'd make more money out of it - dunno.

And I was wondering the same thing... I bet Sid is laughing.

Old December 9, 1999, 12:51   #19
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
Can anyone think of a GOOD dinosaur game? (beside the shoot-the-dino-crap games)

ATa
Old December 9, 1999, 14:28   #20
Old Bear
Chieftain

Other than as a curiosity I can't fathom a use for any Saurian let alone in a Sid M game. He specializes in strategy games. What took 65 million years- Dino's disappeared about that long ago. The ultimate War game- naw- I think this might be a lead in to Civ III, but not as an add-on, rather as a Space based game. We are after all, despite NASA, on the verge of moving on out. Maybe it's Civ II meets MOO II ?
Old December 9, 1999, 17:32   #21
Zaib

Moo2 already is pretty much a civ2 clone, I don't see how you can make those game look even more close to eachother.

Old December 9, 1999, 18:53   #22
Yakopepper
Chieftain

It doesnt sound like a dinosour game to me. Ya'll need to rethink and come up with better conclusions. It points to post-dino era. right?

Daniel
Old December 12, 1999, 06:01   #23
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 18:48
I myself imagined this new project to extend the story of Alpha Centauri. From planetary control, to galactic control. Possibly a more sophisticated MoO. Dinosaurs? Please no. Oh please no.

Bkeela.
Old December 12, 1999, 07:04   #24
Biddles
Prince

From what Firaxis have been throwing around, it looks that this is almost certainly a pre-history game. It is still debatable wether it is a dino game or as I have previously said a multiple race game trying to achieve 'intelligence' before the other races. Have to say that a dinosaur game is looking much more likely though.

- Biddles
Old December 12, 1999, 15:59   #25
dStryker
King

"65 million years in the making."

This could mean it is going to take 65 million years to make this game.

Or it could mean they started 65 million years ago on this game.

If they talked about the making of the dinosaurs, dinosaurs appeared around 225 million years ago.

Or it could mean after 65 million years ago that we begin playing, playing as a species (as others said).

"65 million years in the making" offers 65 million possibilities.

"Requires a brain bigger than a walnut." I don't think all dinosaurs had a brain that size.

Didn't Troodon have what scientists say a large brain?
Old December 12, 1999, 16:24   #26
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 02:48
Dstryker: If they took 65 millions years to make the game, there better not be any bugs in it!!!
Old December 12, 1999, 16:49   #27
L o k i

I think I've got it!!

Here's the intro!!

*Fade in*

What If

*Fade out*

*Fade in*

An Asteroid

*Fade out*

*Fade in*

Never came

*Fade out slowly*

*Fade in fast*
*Scary music*

And Dinosaurs survived

*Loud bang sound*
*Fade out*

YES!!! I've got it!! woohoo! I'm the best, I'M THE BEST!

Old December 12, 1999, 20:03   #28
Kumiorava
Prince

Local Time: 03:48
And CivII has burned out yet another brain with an oversize ego...

What will the world come to after CivIII?
Old December 12, 1999, 23:52   #29
L o k i

dammit man...I was hoping people here knew me well enough by now.... not to take me too seriously! I'm not waiting another year to be myself!!

Old December 13, 1999, 00:02   #30
Biddles
Prince

Have to admit that that intro does sound rather appealing:

'An asteroid never came..'

An asteroid just misses earth by a whisker.

'And dinosaurs lived on'

Some cool cut scenes where some velociraptors run around killing stuff.

'As did humans..'

The raptors and the humans go it in combat, humans with primitive spears..

Well it does sound pretty good.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission