Old December 13, 1999, 06:08   #31
IG-88
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I was thinking that a evolution game would be incredibly boring to play, with no cities, economy, military, nothing much to manage. But dinosaurs versus humans, ooh that sounds like some fun.
Old December 13, 1999, 18:07   #32
ToonGoon
Settler

Local Time: 00:48
I've been a lurker for some time but I've been caught up with the speculation as well. Just wanted to add these tidbits for the dino game possibilities (these were more exciting until I noticed that the site image changed for sid's next game.

The VHS tape of Jurassic Park has a line just below the Jurassic Park emblem..."65 million years in the making"

and

The banner now says it is "not just a walk in the park" another reference to Jurassic Park.

Most definitely dino related I bet...but will it be like the FW scenario?!

My $0.02 - reduced by inflation
Old December 13, 1999, 20:43   #33
L o k i

I don't think it will be like the FW scenario

Old December 14, 1999, 14:13   #34
L o k i

I wonder what dinosaur it is... I bet it's a raptor!!

Old December 15, 1999, 10:17   #35
Jeje2
Prince

Local Time: 10:48
Well, the picture has new text:

BIG FEET. SMALL ARMS.
AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN.

Cann't wait
Old December 15, 1999, 19:15   #36
Dtman85
Settler

I'm ecstatic about this whole thing. Since I heard about the mysterious other game in the Sweep of Time Trilogy, I knew it would either be something along the lines of a "God Game" where you play with the evolution of species like the Star-People "2001: A Space Odyssey", or a Civ-Like game, placed in the timeline before human civilization.
I think its just the sort of thing Sid would do best...I can just see it know, researching (or Evolving perhaps) towards a new opposable thumb! :-) It would render a species very powerful, allowing the use of Tools, picking up and carrying objects easier (i.e. without using beak or mouth), and hundreds of other possibilities. Place your new cellular creation in the right evironment, and if its just right, watch it bloom. A new predator growing too powerful? Think of the possibilities! And if everythings going fine, you can sit back and watch the grass grow (very literally) and the world revolve.
As for Dinosaurs, I guess I could see that being fun also. How it would work is beyond me, though. The Dinosaur scenario in Civ2:MGE I found to be one of the most dull and boring of them all. I guess you could probably discard the ideas of Cities, unless the game really does involve Evolution (to the point where the snappers start to build cities, anyways).
But, if all this about a boring and dull Dinosaur game is making you depressed, and mad at Sid Meier for conceiving it for that matter, consider this. The fact that its a Very different idea alone proves that it will be groundbreaking, in my opinion. I can't remember what it is, but some kids commericial totes the following line which I agree with heartily on this subject: "Oh, the Possibilities!"

Dan Frampton
Old December 15, 1999, 19:27   #37
Dtman85
Settler

Biddles, I just noticed that my really latest post was almost exactly what you said, sorry . I agree heartily though. The evolution and well-being of a species would be really cool.

Dan the Man
Old December 16, 1999, 21:49   #38
Biddles
Prince

Well I too am hoping that that's what the game is about. I think somewhere someone suggested that dino's could be the barbarians.

------------------
- Biddles

"Now that our life-support systems are utilising the new Windows 2027 OS, we don't have to worry about anythi......."
Mars Colonizer Mission
Old December 17, 1999, 22:48   #39
Derek

I think it will be a good game. It's gonna surprise alot of people. Imagine all the different types of units that you will be able to use.

I think it there will be two goals:

1) World domination by your pack of dinosaurs.

2) Be the first to get enough "technology" to evolve into the human race.

You have to do this before the asteroid hits earth, as the humans will be the only race able to survive it...

Old December 18, 1999, 00:40   #40
Tree
Warlord

Derek, I think that there wont be civ like in the way you think. I'm thinking more like your couple of dinosours need to survive, and nothing else. If Sid wants to capture the true essence of evolution, then the game should be centered around survival.
Old December 18, 1999, 01:15   #41
Derek

hmmmm....interesting point Tree.

Old December 18, 1999, 02:22   #42
L o k i

If you're wondering how the game will end, you should probably think along the lines "How will it merge to CivIII's beginning?"

So don't ask me! :P

Old December 18, 1999, 03:11   #43
Bearcat
King

I think it sounds cool. What Sid could be thinking of is very advanced dinosaurs. They could have Stone Age like villages. And they could use all diefferent species of dinos. It could be just like Civ or SMAC.

And it could change ages too. It could start out in the Stone Age and switch to Bronze Age and so on.
Old December 18, 1999, 08:38   #44
Bblue
Warlord

Local Time: 04:48
Being a geologist I am predisposed to think that Dinos are pretty cool

I see 2 broad based options here for Sid

1) The large Everquest RTS with a bunch of irritating kids running around with a pack of Dinos, gaining experience (evoloving), improving thier pack (there would be various 'classes' of Dinos to start with, ranging from a herd of herbavors to a big T-Rex). Fun for a while, but no lasting game play and most importantly not a Sid style game.

2) TBS, the object of the game is survival and eventually intellegence. It's SimEarth heavy on the Dinos. You 'evolve' your pack of Dinos according to what is needed. Lots of Preditors.. armor plating and spikes, low food.. smaller dinos, lots of wildlife.. Big nasty carnovores, etc.. My guess would be that technology is roughly replaced by 'evolutions' but not with nearly as strict 'evolution/technology' tree (but then agian... 'Armor plating' could require 'horns' type of thing. Resourse 'gathering' a common thread in Civ games could be bases off a 'zone of control' where your dinos hang out. City radius with no city. Mangrove swamp in your ZOC.. extra nutrients yeilding more dinos.. More dinos yield more preditors.. Food and no preds in the cooler climates.. evolve some body heat and/or fur. AI and human 'dino factions' compete for food/space/water etc... Asteroid sited.. kiss your Saurian butt good bye Much more a Sid-type game.

This has all the bare-bone elements of a 'Kingmaker-type' game see no reason they couldn't come up with a winner here....

except....

we are dealing with Firaxis

'Insect Swarm (read as BUGS) stymies your once mighty herd... then an Asteriod impacts (read as game crashes)'

they'll have to prove themselves before I buy this one.
Old December 19, 1999, 00:08   #45
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 04:48
It's already been stated that dinosaurs have big feet and small arms, but this suggests everything else as well.

With all due respect, not all dinosaurs look like T-Rexes and not all mammals look like giraffes.

What If
An Asteroid
Never came
And Dinosaurs survived

Whoa, that's brilliant (except for the part about humans appearing from somewhere). There are two real good books I recommend for anyone who thinks that that is a great plot. They are both by the same author; one postulates about mammals 50 million years from now and the other about dinosaurs of this date without the extinction. I will get back to you with titles on Monday.

------------------
St. Leo
http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
http://www.sidgames.com/forums/