Old August 31, 2000, 10:52   #1
Pintello
Warlord

Local Time: 08:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Some observations from the new screenshots in IGN's Diaries
Hi All,

I noticed somethings in the new screen shots that I thought I would note to everyone.

1) Many of the units look much more realistic.
2) Stacks appear to be able to consist of 11 units instead of 9 now.
3) I have noticed some new trade goods as well. Specifically the bear, cotton, and some kind of glass thing on desert hills.
4) You can now see what the coral reefs look like.

Anybody notice anything else, or have some comments or observations to make? I look forward to reading them.

Timothy Pintello
Old August 31, 2000, 13:27   #2
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 03:53
Also:

- some units have 'V' or 'A' next to them

- improvements?
a) strange little tower or bottle in field next to Delphi
b) little buildings next to Antium

- little forts next to city names
Old August 31, 2000, 13:40   #3
Nemo
Prince

Local Time: 02:53
O.K. So, is that bottle/glass/gem thing possibly one of those items you have to "stratigically" place around the board to win scientifically? (I hope that concept is better than it sounds!) Thats what I was thinking it might have also been.

some units have a health bar (and an A) and some only have a flag...noticed that the screen with the health bar and the A also has teh info & options tabs used at top - does this mean it is an optonal feature? hmmm, what other options do we have??? i sure hope there is a key that can be bound to turn the map grid on/off

also noticed the kelp in the seas...but i think that was mentioned in a post awhile back.

the graphics do look much less cartoon like - that is nice
Old August 31, 2000, 14:01   #4
MarkG

i dont think we had seen this before: in the map thubmnail, there are three buttons: units, cities and borders

Old August 31, 2000, 14:13   #5
MarkG

Old August 31, 2000, 14:16   #6
Slax
Prince

Could the tower in the field next to Delphi be a granary? That doesn't make to much sense since I see no other cities with one, but its an idea.

Perhaps its just something that appears while the land is improved to an irrigated field.

Old August 31, 2000, 14:22   #7
Slax
Prince

The option I most wanted to see for the radar map is not there: "Terrain", ie , I do not need to see the different terrain types on this map, only ocean, land, and unmapped.

Old August 31, 2000, 14:30   #8
Slax
Prince

From its appearance, I would bet that the large bottle and glass (in a desert hill tile) represents a trade good, likely glass (perhaps water?).

Thats it for now...

------------------
Light the fuse!
Old August 31, 2000, 14:31   #9
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Slax on 08-31-2000 02:22 PM
The option I most wanted to see for the radar map is not there: "Terrain", ie , I do not need to see the different terrain types on this map, only ocean, land, and unmapped.
you mean that you dont currently see where is ocean, where is land and where is unmapped??????

Old August 31, 2000, 19:13   #10
The Kaiser
Chieftain

Are those city icons genuinely new, or are they just re-hashes of CTP1's?

It's still unclear whether the number of styles has increased or not. I guess they've had to draw a few extra icons for the scenario's they're doing. But whether the game will allow 7+ city icon's styles at one time remains to be seen.
Old September 1, 2000, 03:30   #11
JimMac
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
Anybody got any opinions or comment on the Intro movie up at IGN?

The download is too much for my 28.8 modem at BTs telephone charges.

Until it comes out on a cover disk, I could make do with a description, or your thoughts on its merits

Jim
Old September 1, 2000, 04:31   #12
MarkG

providing a link would save us from desperately looking around on ign http://pc.ign.com/news/24364.html

anyway, i'll download it from the office in a couple of hours

Old September 1, 2000, 07:07   #13
MarkG

i've seen it
pretty good, better than the ctp1 ones i think...

Old September 1, 2000, 09:02   #14
Pintello
Warlord

Hi All,

There are some more screen shots on the new preview that Mark has linked to. They show some more new stuff. Go check them out.

I think Slax may be right. I think the trade good that looks like a bottle and a glass may be water. Very useful in a desert, yes? Also, I think the thing next to Delphi may be a trade good as well. It looks a lot like one of those old style griders for black pepper.

Since this thead was started my me, I think I will expand it to include some observations about the new screen shots in the preview mentioned before. Since, as anyone who has been in these forums for a while knows, trade goods are my thing, I will start out with some observations about those.

In the preview screen shots, I noticed that while some of the old trade goods such as oil, crab, pearl, elephant, grapes, and coffee are still around, there are some new ones as well. Those are Emerald, Spices, Jalepino Peppers, Tea, and Lumber. Combine these with the ones in the IGN screen shots and it looks like Activision is giving us a much larger variety of trade goods. I am all for that.

I also noticed that they have copied some of the trade goods from Nordicus's Trade Goods Mod such as Tea, Peppers, Spices, Emerald, and Cotton. You think this may just be a coincident?

On to another topic. I noticed in the new screen shots that you can see a catapult and a bombard type weapon in there. Seems that Activision was listening when people said that CTP needed some kind of Ancient/Medeval artillary unit.

Please continue to post your observations in this thread, I really enjoy see what other observe that I miss.

Timothy Pintello
Old September 2, 2000, 00:25   #15
DiscoveryOne
Chieftain

I notice that there's a retreat option....
Old September 2, 2000, 00:30   #16
LT John
Prince

The V next to a unit stands for Veteran.

The A next to a unit indicates that it is an army.

There are a lot of new trade goods- you guys have figured out many of them: cotton, tea, lumber, glass, (medicinal) herbs.

Stacks can have up to 12 units now.

Little buildings outside of a city are tile improvements- trading posts- that increase the city's trade income.

Remember that these screens come from the alpha build, so you are seeing some placeholder stuff.
Old September 2, 2000, 01:16   #17
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by DiscoveryOne on 09-02-2000 12:25 AM
I notice that there's a retreat option....
yes, i think we have heard about this in the past already. but i dont remember if we what heard what the consequences are when you retreat

[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited September 02, 2000).]

Old September 2, 2000, 04:49   #18
MidKnight Lament
King

Local Time: 18:53
What about the Espionage Screen?! Nobody noticed the button on top of this screen?

http://www.cdmag.com/articles/029/087/shot12.html

Bring it on! I was so hoping for this...

Activision - what can you tell us about it?

- MKL
[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old September 2, 2000, 08:36   #19
Monkey
King

Most likely the espionage screen is just an steroid boosted intelligence screen showing you all the information of the other civs.

BTW Did anyone see that screenshot of of the stealth bomber with a red line to a tile in computer gaming online preview? It looked like the stealth bomber was "above" the tile the red line pointed to. Different altitude levels? And what's that two swords crossed thing mean?

Also the modern city style city icon has been modified to look less cartoony. Anyone know if there will be more city styles? I would really like a medieval city style at the very least...

And the best screenshot of all goes to the one with the single city screen!!! Hurrah this is the first look at the single city screen. However it appears there is still a need to flip between tabs to see what I have in the city and what I can build. There is a build queue tab and an inventory tab that alternates the screen. I'm guessing inventory is what the city contains? It's still too early to say if the interface is better Also in the screen we see the new "unassignable" worker model. Although some people will miss the ability to place workers on specific tiles, I'm all for it if it means less micro management and it won't make my cities less efficient.

Activision is definitely stepping away from "classic" civilization rules with each new feature so even if they still had the license to call CTP2 civilization, I don't think they would even use it because it would be totally different to how civilization played.
Old September 2, 2000, 20:17   #20
MidKnight Lament
King

Ahh, which screen would this be on? I hadn't seen that. Link please.

Edit: Found it myself. Here 'tis.

It's certainly something different to look at. I didn't know what to make of it at first. What's the verdict, everyone?

This is the stealth fighter screen that Monkey was talking about.

We also get a look at the City Info Screen (Previously F1) where you manage all your cities at once. Doesn't seem to look that much different.

- MKL
[This message has been edited by MidKnight Lament (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old September 2, 2000, 21:32   #21
Monkey
King

Edit: I see you already found the single city screen yourself..... no need for me to put in the link then

[This message has been edited by Monkey (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old September 3, 2000, 00:10   #22
Sophanthro

Thoughts on the single city screen:

I prefer it over the previous method, but It still doesn't show you everything at once, which i'd prefer. You know expand the city screen, put statistics below the people and resources section, place inventory next to or below the queue section.
IMO it's fine to cover almost the full screen with the city view as you don't do anything else when your managing your cities. I like the arrows to switch between cities, and the advice button, and switching between two screens aint to bad.

The Msgs tab:

Im assuming that this is what will be used for chat? If so I don't like it. The chat window should be visible at all times (like in CTP) as chat is often a backround activity in mp. If the Msgs is replacing the slic boxes. I don't like that either.

That said if it comes out finished, I'll definitely buy it.

Old September 3, 2000, 19:39   #23
MidKnight Lament
King

Sorry to hassle you, Monkey. I guess I couldn't wait. Hope you didn't spend too much time trying to do it...

- MKL
Old September 4, 2000, 05:16   #24
Monkey
King

Nah just took three bungled attempts with the ubb script before I realized you already had the link
Old September 4, 2000, 05:26   #25
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Sophanthro on 09-03-2000 12:10 AM
The Msgs tab:

Im assuming that this is what will be used for chat?
actually, i think that that's the place that the messages that poped up on the left of the screen on ctp1 will appear....

Old September 4, 2000, 10:46   #26
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

The "tower" near Delhi appears to be a trade good. I think it is pepper.
Just look a bit closer and you notice that "handle" on the top. It is some sort of pepper-mill. Thats the impression I got.

ATa
Old September 4, 2000, 20:59   #27
Slax
Prince

MarkG - I simply don't like the clutter in the radar map when the different terrain is shown. The first thing I did to customize CTP I was change the radar screen, and I may have to do it again with CTP II. All I need to see besides land and sea, is cities and armies(toggled). I don't know how many colours your eyes can differentiate. I like the options they offer, though.

Old September 4, 2000, 22:11   #28
Slax
Prince

I few things in the other screenshots (sorry I don't remember which):

- arctic and desert terrain next to grass - its up to your own interpretation, but I don't think that should happen.

- what are the boards in the woods?

- when do the kelp beds appear? Are they not hidden beneath the water at first?
Old September 5, 2000, 13:21   #29
Atahualpa
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Emperor

quote:

- arctic and desert terrain next to grass - its up to your own interpretation, but I don't think that should happen.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Besides the map generator in these screenies looks pretty bad to me. I really really hope they havent touched it yet!
Large areas of swamp and desert may be realistic BUT you cant settle them - you cant use them!!!!

Ata
Old September 5, 2000, 20:03   #30
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 02:53
I completely agree with Ata on this one. I want more usuable terrain on random maps. The first priority should be to get the largest number of competitive civs as possible in the game. Earth-like terrain distributions should come second.