Old October 18, 2000, 06:20   #1
MadWoodster
Warlord

Local Time: 08:55
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Marines and Paratroopers
Can someone please explain to me why Marines and Paratroopers come from the same advance: Advanced Infrantry Tactics. Surely it is possible to develop one without the other. Do you need aircrafts too launch Marines or advance boats to launch Paratroopers, didn't think so but the pre-requistives for Advanced Infrantry Tactics mean you do.
(see the 3rd of the latest set of screenshots.)
Old October 18, 2000, 15:09   #2
ZENMASTER
Settler

i think they mean it's like innovative kind of fighting not the usual a.k.a "advanced" i think it's instead of the advances of amphibitious warfare and paradropping

------------------
WHAT IS LIFE AND WHERE DOES IT COME FROM?
GOI-FONG-TZA ZENMASTER
Old October 18, 2000, 16:17   #3
Bartemans
Chieftain

I agree that certain more technology is required for paratroopers. For example, flight with advanced infrantry tactics.

I mean, Michiel De Ruyter, the great admiral of the Dutch Navy in the seventeenth century, invented marines
since he thought it might be of strategic importance that rapid deployment of troops could bring victory. The concept worked. His seasoldiers (as the marines were called in those days) were important for vicories in the wars between several countries and for the colonization. The ship bombarded the target and the seasoldiers captured the structure. (or whatever)

So Yanks, again someone else had your concept earlier. (this time even BEFORE the United States were born )

Now serious again, THREE centuries (paratroopers were not used in action before WWII) between marines and paratroopers, that is way too much. I say (as above) that paratroopers can be built after flight AND advanced infrantry tactics have been invented. This would also be a bonus for the civs with lots of knowledge, tactical important units should be obtained after more inventions have been made.

Regards,

Bartemans
http://home.hccnet.nl/stolte.1

Old October 18, 2000, 21:03   #4
joseph1944

Bartemans

According to the World Book Encyclopedia the first Marine where "Epibatae" or "Heavily armed sea-soldiers" of the Greek navies in 500 BC." The Romans also had Marines. They were call "Milites classiarii", or "solders of the fleet." Then in 1664 the British formed theirs and in 1665 the Netherlands formed their. The United States formed their Marines in 1775. However as I posted in a thread a few months ago. the first Marine happen when the first boat load of soldier landed on another Civs. shore to do harm to that Civ. The book go on to say "During the Middle Ages, nation did not maintain organized navies and marine forces. But it was common paractice to put ordinary soldiers aboard ship whenever fighting was expected."

To Activision: At this late date, would it be to hard to change the marines to a much early discovery date?

------------------

Old October 19, 2000, 00:34   #5
TheBirdMan
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power Democracy Game
Emperor

Location: A real Master of CTP-PBEM - together with all the others.....
Then we could call the Vikings for marines?!?!

Ok - why not!