Old November 20, 2000, 02:47   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Just bought CTP2: first impressions
We all know what the original was like, so let's just put that in the past; I had to in order to bring myself to buy the sequel. So, tonite, I did.

I went to Best Buy, debated about the price, broke down and bought the game. I had a feeling this one would be an improvement over CTP1, and so far, it's looking pretty good. I like the improvements made on the interface since the original, and though many players are having a hard time with the 'workerless' city management system, my opinion is that it is one less bit of micromangaing to have to deal with. Haven't been in any battles yet on this, my first game (turn 75ish), but I think the improved battle system is going to add some tactics to the usually cut-and-dry CIV battle resolution.

Only complaint so far is, why do archers cost the same as warriors? Warriors are essentially the same as archers, yet archers get a range attack, which seems to me would warrant some added cost/support. Hmm, but that is not a big deal AT ALL, since that is very patchable, and, if CTP2 is as customizable as the Sid Meier line of CIV games, then I can just edit this attribute myself.

I am sure I will be posting some more stuff later, but must go play for now.
Old November 20, 2000, 05:55   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Maybe I am just misunderstanding how ranged units work; manual is shady on some points.
Old November 20, 2000, 09:09   #3
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 04:01
Archers have range - they sit in the back row and take shots at the enemy front lines without suffering casulties, until they are pushed to the front line themselves.

Warriors have a vision of 2 - that is their advantage (at least that was the case in CTP)

4 days until I get my copy of CTP2...

BTW, I bet Best Buy will have the game on sale next weekend for $35-40. People should be patient.
Old November 20, 2000, 15:11   #4
Jen Dragon
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:01
Best Buy will match any price for 30 days including their own of course. Thats why I always buy my software there if I'm sure I will keep the title. You can usually buy a new release and sometime within 30 days comp usa or best buy or circuit city or hastings will put it on sale.
Old November 21, 2000, 01:19   #5
Sarxis
Emperor

I will probably get the difference if it does go on sale; sometimes retailers will let you do that if you pay a higher cost for an item, and then it goes on sale soon after.