Old November 20, 2000, 18:25   #1
Fluffygreycat
Settler

Local Time: 09:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forts Problem
In the Alexander scenario, there are lots of forts dotting the map at the open. I imagine this is to make the borders for the Persians work properly.

One would assume that seizing the fort would transfer the territory being ruled by the fort to your control. Unfortunately, this is not the case. You can sit in that seized fort until hell freezes over and the territory will stay Persian.

I don't know if this happens in the random-map games or not [I haven't come across an AI-generated fortress yet.]

Two questions:

1. Is this a bug? Is taking over a fortress SUPPOSED to transfer territorial control? If it is, it ain't working in the scenario.

2. If this is NOT a bug, is there a way to change this? Taking over the fortress should give you control of the terrain. If we had a map with "Gibraltar" on it, taking the fortress should MEAN something! Is this a "SLIC" issue or a .txt file issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 20, 2000, 18:40   #2
Fluffygreycat
Settler

Oh, and at least in the scenario, demolishing the fort by doing a "pillage" sometimes gets rid of the enemy border - but sometimes it doesn't.

I have all these little pink circles inside my territory and it is kind of annoying.

I foresee BIG problems in multiplayer if building a fortress can create an "eternal" border.
Old November 20, 2000, 20:22   #3
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

What about pillaging the enemy fort and building your own? Does building a city nearby get rid of the enemy controlled land?
Old November 20, 2000, 21:14   #4
Fluffygreycat
Settler

In the scenario, what happens is that the "Persian" control is replaced by "Macedonian" control on just the single square containing the fortress. To "cover" and "de-Persianize" the entire area previously "ruled" by the fortress, you would have to build a fortress in each and every square - which would be foolish.

It was freaking me out, so I tried adding a Macedonian fortress to every affected square in cheat mode and then sending people out to demolish the superfluous ones - and this caused a REAL bug, where the squares in question turned unexplored/black and would never be visible again unless I parked a unit right on them.

As I said, I don't know what happens in the random-map games. Anyone who captures an AI fortress in a random game, please let us know if you take over the terrain, too.

It seems kind of silly - if I seize an enemy city, city changes to my control, and the tile improvements associated with the city change to my control. Why can't I seize fortresses and have them change to my control?

I looked through the tileimp.txt file and nothing in there seems to be related to the concept of control. There is a "border radius" reading, but nothing to specify WHOSE border. I looked through the city.txt files to see if I could figure out what would make a city change owners, and couldn't find anything obvious there, either.

Does anyone have any ideas?