Old November 6, 2000, 22:05   #1
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:01
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Exclusions of Units for CTP:2
I enjoy varying my play style..like excluding certain "Undesirable" Units..such as Corporate Branches and Lawyers..Clerics..ect....I can in CTP:1..exclude them easily in MP..then play a single player game in IPX Mode..Is this going to be possible in CTP:2??
Thanks
Troll
Old November 6, 2000, 22:14   #2
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 09:01
How do you disable this stupid units? I wanna know. These units are really annoying. Hope CTP2 will fix this.
Old November 6, 2000, 23:22   #3
neblig
Settler

You can exclude units either in the scenario editor, or you can add 'CantBuild' to the undesired units' entries in Units.txt.
Old November 6, 2000, 23:39   #4
Grandpa Troll
supporter
PolyCast TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
Immortal Factotum

Local Time: 05:01
In MP Games..In setup..just click on"EXCLUSIONS" and exclude them..thats the easiest way..in CTP:1...
Troll
Old November 8, 2000, 14:05   #5
Ralf
King

Local Time: 10:01
quote:

Originally posted by neblig on 11-06-2000 10:22 PM
You can exclude units either in the scenario editor, or you can add 'CantBuild' to the undesired units' entries in Units.txt.

This is really great for scenario-editing. You build that WW-2 scenario, but you dont want the AI (or the human player) to change the setup conditions, by founding new cities and building terrain-improvements.

What to do? You exclude the settler unit. Simple, but effective.
Old November 19, 2000, 17:26   #6
m_m_x
Warlord

Local Time: 11:01
where exactly in the unit.txt do i write the 'CantBuild'?-near the unit name headline,or after the "{" starts ?
Old November 19, 2000, 18:25   #7
DarkOrder
Chieftain

you can exclude all units, buildings/improvments and wonders. You can also set strting age and ending age so that you can start play in the modern age and end play in the modern age.

All this can be done in MP. Yes you can run an MP game and not be on the internet. MP has a lot more custom control too. Just choose LAN or IPX and make sure you select Dynamic Join, otherwise you will not be able to launch the game.

Smooshies
[This message has been edited by DarkOrder (edited November 19, 2000).]
Old November 20, 2000, 09:39   #8
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:01
quote:

Originally posted by m_m_x on 11-19-2000 04:26 PM
where exactly in the unit.txt do i write the 'CantBuild'?-near the unit name headline,or after the "{" starts ?

After the '{' and before the '}' (on a new line of course).
Old November 20, 2000, 10:12   #9
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:01
Why don't you like these units? It's possible to counter them, and this is what makes CTP differnent from other games. They can't even do that much harm, Branches get easily countered by Lawyers, and Lawyers by anything. Can't just get why so many people hate it.

------------------
Solver - http://www.aok.20m.com
Old November 20, 2000, 10:45   #10
Chaos
Chieftain

Slavers and Clerics were always a pain in the butt, but I found if you put up a line of diplomats around your country and some speedy units to counter them you can keep them away. it also helps to keep one in every city in case something gets thru. Though in ctp 1 they never stop. So I would have to kick them out EVERY turn. and I must say that did get annoying.
Old November 20, 2000, 19:53   #11
colorme
Warlord

I dislike having to play beyond the modern age. How can one end technology progress beyond the modern age?
In particular, how can one do that without the AI stupidly trying to sink money into researching new technologies (which you've disabled or made very expensive)?

I hate having to fight wars with fusion tanks and the like because these units have multiple capabilities. Combined arms loses its meaning with these units. You can take over the entire world using simply the stupid fusion tanks . Or am I missing something?
Old November 20, 2000, 20:18   #12
Mr Ogre
Warlord

The easiest way to disable an advance is to give it a prerequisite of itself. Ruins check for that too, so there's no way anyone can ever get an advance that is a requirement for itself. So to stop at the modern age, you can edit Advance.txt to remove all the advances you don't want in your game this way.

You can also just remove them entirely, except then you also have to go through and remove all the units, wonders, buildings, tile improvements, etc. that require those advances. Doing the prerequisite trick is less work.
Old November 21, 2000, 10:42   #13
Yohan
Chieftain

So how does editing the textfiles affect games in progress. Say you edited out lawyers, but you already have lawyers in the game. What does that do to the game?