Old November 19, 2000, 20:36   #31
MarkG

quote:

Originally posted by Cyrius on 11-19-2000 06:57 PM
When a city is building a unit (archer, for example), and they finish, they continue to build that unit, without letting you know they are doing so. This is frustrating
if you have assigned a mayor, he will choose something to build. that's called automation
if you want to use mayors and make your own choices for the build queues, simply change the build queue. the mayor will not make any changes to it. when it will become empty, a message will appear in the message tab. if you ignore it, the mayor will make a decision
quote:

Speaking of 'o', what good is the 'n' key, which is also a cycle-thru units? Seems useless to me.
"n" is for next item(unit or city according to what you selected). "o" is for next unit(whatever you may have selected)
quote:

I use the numpad to navigate, usually. Unfortunately, CTP2 appears to "save" my numpad presses, and if I accidently hit '4' too many times and the unit has used up its movement, it will try to move west on the next turn as soon as it is selected. Anyone know a way to avoid this?
dont do accidents!
quote:

Which brings me to antoher point. Any way to get a warning before you attack someone you are at peace/allied with?
that would be good yes...
probably can be done with slic...
quote:

France had no trade routes going to one of my cities. Anyone know why the AI player resisted a trade treaty so much?
obviously(?) it saw no gain to it, so....

Old November 19, 2000, 20:55   #32
Cyrius
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
quote:

if you have assigned a mayor, he will choose something to build. that's called automation
if you want to use mayors and make your own choices for the build queues, simply change the build queue. the mayor will not make any changes to it. when it will become empty, a message will appear in the message tab. if you ignore it, the mayor will make a decision

Mark, I'm not talking about mayors and I don't use mayors. When building things normally, if you tell a ctiy to build an archer (and just an archer) and they finish, they will build another archer. And you won't recive a pop up and the city won't select with 'o'. Very frustrating.

quote:

that would be good yes...
probably can be done with slic...

what do you mean by "slic"?
quote:

obviously(?) it saw no gain to it, so....

I offered them 3000 gold! Isn't that enough gain? It doesn't hurt them any, thats for sure! And they were my best ally!
Old November 19, 2000, 21:48   #33
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

I've got to agree with Cyrius on the trade pact. I had almost all my trade routes with the Native Americans and when I asked them to start a trade pact they refused. I even offered them a city!! Still they say no! That would be a huge gain for them. So I just embargoed them. Bastards!
Old November 20, 2000, 01:32   #34
Zane_NBK
Settler

Found a few bugs, so far I've been unable to finish my game because of them.

1) If you finish researching a technology and the game crashes on that turn when you load the autosave you loose the technology and research starts completely over. I've had this happen twice in my current game with no saves recent enough to undo the damage.

2) Occasionally the game will finish processing all players turns and give you control but the processing turns bar is still set to an enemy color, not at 100% and the end turn button will stay grayed out. The only work around I've found is to save then reload.

3) The game hard locks quite often on my system. Never had a problem untill around the late 1800's early 1900's I think. Never had any problems at all with my system (Athlon 800, 256mb pc133, Geforce2, SCSI, Win2k (all patches), DirectX 8, SB Live and nothing overclocked). It gets worse and worse as I progress where now I can't go more than a few turns without reseting (currently around 2150 now I believe).

The lockup and research bugs are so annoying I can't continue playing.

-Zane
Old November 20, 2000, 01:35   #35
AI_Scripter
Chieftain

I've been annoyed at this too. The only solution I know of is to keep hitting the "o" key to select the next unit. One good thing about this key is that after all units have been cycled through, it will then cycle through all cities that have empty production queues. Finally, you can just hit enter to continue to the next turn.
Old November 20, 2000, 01:52   #36
Zane_NBK
Settler

Another bug with my current game. If I succeed in stealing technology from one of my rivals and end my turn, after the turn processing for the computer players (and right before my turn starts again) the game crashes with an access violation in ctp2.exe. If I don't steal the tech everything works fine (but if I do, even if I wait a few turns before stealing it, it crashes).
Old November 20, 2000, 02:29   #37
MarkG

moving to CtP2-Suggestions, the place for bug reports...

Old November 20, 2000, 04:41   #38
AI_Scripter
Chieftain

"1-Why does the "rename city" option not come up automatically? (i adjusted teh .txt file to "yes" but the name won't lock in) - will this be fixed?"

Hmmm.. It worked for me. I just changed the line that had AutoRenameCities = no to yes in the userprofile.txt file in the ..\ctp2_program\ctp folder and it now automatically asks for a new city name each time I build one.

BTW, how do you get those quoted messages in your replies?
Old November 20, 2000, 04:57   #39
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by AI_Scripter on 11-20-2000 03:41 AM
BTW, how do you get those quoted messages in your replies?

Choose "Reply with quote" from the post.

Old November 20, 2000, 11:27   #40
Zardos
Chieftain

quote:

Originally posted by Osco on 11-17-2000 08:35 PM
Can you put 12 men or is it 12 army's of 12 men in city's ??????????

You can only have twelve units on a single tile (it doesn't matter if they are in an army or not). Furthermore, if you have twelve units in a city and that city is scheduled to finish building a unit that turn, you will get a message saying something to the extent that "You already have 12 units in the city, in order to get the unit to finish building you need to move some units out of the city." The unit will be delayed for one turn. You do NOT need to start building that unit from the start (I think it was Civ2 that did this), but you do need to wait a turn.

I hope that clears things up.

Zardos

Old November 20, 2000, 12:54   #41
gumbdamnit
Settler

any one have an information on how the civ profiles (aggresiveness, etc.) work in this version? And can they be fully randomized? I hate knowing what I am up against as soon as I identify my neighbors.
Old November 20, 2000, 12:56   #42
Dragon
Settler

The manual says that if the people in a city are very happy, they may hold a celebration. Indeed they do; I get messages that say so. But I can't figure out what the effect is -- the manual doesn't say, and the word "celebration" is not in the game data files.

In Civ 2 the easy way to win is by getting "We love the President" days to grow population fast. Is there something similar in CTP II?
Old November 20, 2000, 14:58   #43
Camper
Chieftain

I've had good sucess getting civs to sign trade pacts by threatening them. I currently have 4 trade pacts in my 8 civ game.
Old November 20, 2000, 16:03   #44
m_m_x
Warlord

Local Time: 11:02
i love the idle animation mode of units, but its rare to see them happen.
is there any commaned or modification to make it happen more often, somtime the map seems to much static to me, i want more "living" animated world.
thanx.
Old November 20, 2000, 16:21   #45
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

Yes, I finally tried that and it worked. The Native Americans had a city on my continent that was bugging me, so I threatened to destroy it unless they signed a Trade Pact with me. They did! I used this tactic against all the other nations quite well.
Old November 20, 2000, 18:25   #46
Fluffygreycat
Settler

In the Alexander scenario, there are lots of forts dotting the map at the open. I imagine this is to make the borders for the Persians work properly.

One would assume that seizing the fort would transfer the territory being ruled by the fort to your control. Unfortunately, this is not the case. You can sit in that seized fort until hell freezes over and the territory will stay Persian.

I don't know if this happens in the random-map games or not [I haven't come across an AI-generated fortress yet.]

Two questions:

1. Is this a bug? Is taking over a fortress SUPPOSED to transfer territorial control? If it is, it ain't working in the scenario.

2. If this is NOT a bug, is there a way to change this? Taking over the fortress should give you control of the terrain. If we had a map with "Gibraltar" on it, taking the fortress should MEAN something! Is this a "SLIC" issue or a .txt file issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 20, 2000, 18:40   #47
Fluffygreycat
Settler

Oh, and at least in the scenario, demolishing the fort by doing a "pillage" sometimes gets rid of the enemy border - but sometimes it doesn't.

I have all these little pink circles inside my territory and it is kind of annoying.

I foresee BIG problems in multiplayer if building a fortress can create an "eternal" border.
Old November 20, 2000, 19:15   #48
lago

quote:

CTP2 appears to "save" my numpad presses, and if I accidently hit '4' too many times and the unit has used up its movement, it will try to move west on the next turn as soon as it is selected. Anyone know a way to avoid this?

Right click on the unit and select 'Clear Orders' from the menu.

Old November 20, 2000, 20:22   #49
Mad-Kat
Chieftain

What about pillaging the enemy fort and building your own? Does building a city nearby get rid of the enemy controlled land?
Old November 20, 2000, 20:33   #50
Mr Ogre
Warlord

If you're willing to get your hands dirty in the data files, you can make the game only build one of each unit. In units.txt, add a line "OnlyBuildOne" to every single unit, and it will only build one at a time - it won't continue to build the last unit in the queue if it has OnlyBuildOne set. The three settlers (normal, urban planner, and sea engineer) are the only units that have that set as shipped.

I think most people probably want the game to keep building normal military units, but you could argue that we should have added that flag for all or most special units. The main reason you wouldn't want it for settlers is the population each settler subtracts. Forgetting to stop building settlers is a bigger deal than it is for other units.
Old November 20, 2000, 20:44   #51
Mr Ogre
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Nemo on 11-19-2000 04:54 PM
1-Why does the "rename city" option not come up automatically? (i adjusted teh .txt file to "yes" but the name won't lock in) - will this be fixed?

AutoRenameCities only works if AutoOpenCityWindow is off (and AutoOpenCityWindow actually opens the build queue window)

quote:

2-What are the Feats of Wonders, they are not listed in the manual or GL (and i found a .txt file w/ some info, but not enouhg, and i shouldn't have to hunt through program files to find this!)

Feats are supposed to be surprises There aren't as many of them as we hoped, but I'm not going to go and tell everyone what they all are, getting them by accident the first time is half the fun.

quote:

4-what is "diplomacylog=" for in the profile menu? i would lke to see a list of past foriegn interactions if possible

Debug option, no effect in the shipped version.

quote:

5-i found a throne.txt file and a "throneroom=Yes" line in another file. so,is there a throne room that can be activated? (the files dont appear to be CTPI leftover)

Actually, they are CTP1 leftovers. There's no throne room.

quote:

and most important of all...
6-where is the option to sell my city improvements???

As someone else answered, on the inventory tab of the city manager.

quote:

comments: so far teh game is MUCH better than I was thinking it would be, and i am happy with it so far, but only have been playing for 2 hours. The AI seems much smarter, and the UI only jerks every once in a while, other than that the UI is very fast. the interface is very nice (i only fumble trying to get all city units (fortified and sleep) to show under the units tab though)

Glad you're mostly enjoying it

[This message has been edited by Mr Ogre (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old November 20, 2000, 21:06   #52
MWatts
Settler

At the bottom of the screen there is a units tab. If you look there you will see a right arrow (think it's by the unit name, may be a left one two don't remember)
If you start pressing that arrow you will cycle through all of the units that do not have orders or have not executed the ones they have.

Hope this helps.
Old November 20, 2000, 21:10   #53
MWatts
Settler

Also I think there is an option in of course the options menue for game play that will force the computer to cycle automaticly.
Old November 20, 2000, 21:14   #54
Fluffygreycat
Settler

In the scenario, what happens is that the "Persian" control is replaced by "Macedonian" control on just the single square containing the fortress. To "cover" and "de-Persianize" the entire area previously "ruled" by the fortress, you would have to build a fortress in each and every square - which would be foolish.

It was freaking me out, so I tried adding a Macedonian fortress to every affected square in cheat mode and then sending people out to demolish the superfluous ones - and this caused a REAL bug, where the squares in question turned unexplored/black and would never be visible again unless I parked a unit right on them.

As I said, I don't know what happens in the random-map games. Anyone who captures an AI fortress in a random game, please let us know if you take over the terrain, too.

It seems kind of silly - if I seize an enemy city, city changes to my control, and the tile improvements associated with the city change to my control. Why can't I seize fortresses and have them change to my control?

I looked through the tileimp.txt file and nothing in there seems to be related to the concept of control. There is a "border radius" reading, but nothing to specify WHOSE border. I looked through the city.txt files to see if I could figure out what would make a city change owners, and couldn't find anything obvious there, either.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old November 20, 2000, 21:44   #55
Byllee
Settler

Does anybody know how to keep track of units that are
sentried in a city for defense. It seems only fortified
units are shown as garrisoned. When I look at a citys
units why can't I see all units in that city ?
Old November 20, 2000, 23:20   #56
MapleLeaf
Warlord

Local Time: 01:02
Thank you very much, Mr Ogre, for the "OnlyBuildOne" tip! Can I ask you a question regarding Trade Pact? I have 2 trade routes with American AI and 2 trade routes with French AI - gold from the trade is 175. Fine. I make Trade Pacts with both of them. Same routes, same Civs and same money - 175 gold. Were is the benefit of Trade Pact? Am I missing something? And, please, could you tell me this - in CTP wonder movies played in full window, in CTP2 movies are shown in tiny almost thumbnail-sized window (but they are very sharp). I play on 1270 X 780 res. Is it the cause? Do I have to upgrade Windows Media Player from 6 to 7? Thakns again, I appreciate your team great efforts since CTP days back in spring 1999
Old November 20, 2000, 23:50   #57
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 04:02
I have a few questions regarding the map editing feature.

First question is - how can I use maps I created in a new game? What directory do they have to be saved under for me to use my own maps?

Second question - how can I correctly place civilizations on my created maps? For instance, when I tried placing Americans on a starting location, for some reason, the program places Persians down!

Third question - how can I delete a starting civilization from my created maps once I change my mind?

Fourth question - where did Activision staff learn their basic geography? I still have no idea what they were thinking when they created the poorly done Earth map. Sid Meier's Civilization II Earth map was much better.

Thanks for anyone who answers my questions - I look forward to this forum!
Old November 21, 2000, 00:27   #58
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 03:02
Hope you don't mind me adding my own map question.

I tend to prefer smaller maps. However the small map is too small and I find the medium map a bit bigger than I want it. Is it possible to customize the size of the map for a regular game ; say like twice the size of the smallest map. I recall Civ2 had the option of customizing map size.
Old November 21, 2000, 01:09   #59
Yohan
Chieftain

So I started looking through the Great Library and checking out all the Wonders. Am I right in noting that there are a whole bunch of Wonders that don't become obsolete? I'm not talking 2 or 3 more compared to CTP1, rather more like the vast majority of Wonders don't ever become obsolete. Anybody else have a take on this?
Old November 21, 2000, 01:29   #60
Drakenred
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by Yohan on 11-20-2000 12:09 PM
So I started looking through the Great Library and checking out all the Wonders. Am I right in noting that there are a whole bunch of Wonders that don't become obsolete? I'm not talking 2 or 3 more compared to CTP1, rather more like the vast majority of Wonders don't ever become obsolete. Anybody else have a take on this?

you are corect,

unles you sell, lose to bombardment, lose to capture, fold, staple, tear, burn, mutilate, or spill coffee on your Wonder Of The World, most will never, EVER go obsolte!

(in fact, you could probably saftly modify many of the existing files so that none of them expire without breaking the game)