Old November 21, 2000, 16:30   #1
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 03:02
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI navy is killing me!
My present game setup is medium with 6 civs, random map with a good amount of ocean and islands. At early to mid game, I had a decent navy built up. But I felt it was costing me to much money to keep it. So I decided to dispand more then half of my naval vessels, effectively cutting the naval budget. It was not that I was going broke or anything, its just that I needed all the money I could get to use elsewhere. Well, BIG and I mean BIG mistake. First off, with the little navy I had left(maybe 3 ships) I attacked a ship which was attempting to destroy my improvements and pirate my trade routes.

So, now this was the second BIG mistake and was even bigger then cutting my naval budget. First off this was a Greek ship I attacked and the Greeks were much more advanced then I was, much more. After I attacked and sank it I thought the famous Japanese words..."I feel we have awoke a sleeping giant".

I was right, the Greeks had a powerful and somewhat modern navy. Approached my coast was 4-5 Destroyers which sank all of my remaining ships and destroyed more then half of my ports and nets, they had no mercy. I need to get those ships off of my coast asap. I mean they are killing me to death. My most advanced ship which is an ironclad can't sink a Destroyer, I have lost several trying to do so. I manage to get a little damage but I lose.

So I dumped every one of my cities into science all out, attempting to get the Battleship as soon as possible. I can go for Destroyers also but I am very outnumbered. Anyone know why I decided to cut that naval budget?
Old November 21, 2000, 17:03   #2
Kinjiru
lifer
The Courts of Candle'BreCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueMacSpore
King

Local Time: 04:02
Since you can't go toe to toe with the Greek navy, try the diplomatic route. Either give up some gold and get a cease-fire, or buy yourself some help.

Since you are waging a limited war in which your only goal is to get the Greek ships out of your way, you do not need to worry about building a bigger navy. Cutting your naval forces could still turn out to be a blessing, especially if you get an ally out of it.

One thing I have noticed is that nations that were fighting you and doing well, are often amenable to trade pacts after the fighting dies down...
Old November 21, 2000, 17:03   #3
Barry Brenesal
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
Why didn't you just change the alertness status of your military?
Old November 21, 2000, 17:04   #4
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:02
Well it sounds like you were technologically outsmarted anyway...you wouldn't have stood a chance, although I have not as yet played the game...
Old November 22, 2000, 02:03   #5
PrinceBimz
Prince

Local Time: 03:02
Well, my diplomatic efforts have failed so far. The Greeks are angry and against any diplomatic offers I have. Trust me I was practically begging them. I really messed up there and made a bad decision. Bottom line is I should have never attacked their ship. As I said they are a much more powerful and advanced nation then I am so I should have respected that.

I was at war on the land with another nation, but a weak one I was beating so that is why I never just brought the alert status down on my military. But this war on the land is now over, good thing! So I can concentrate all of my efforts on fighting the Greeks in the sea. Now the game is still going on and I have not played it since I posted that message. But in a few minutes I will start playing again. I may be getting Battleships soon and when I do I will pound those Destroyers under! I have alot of anger built up in me from those ships wreaking havoc on my coastal settlements
Old November 22, 2000, 03:01   #6
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 05:02
The AI has a bad time taking advantage of bombardment and grouped units.... I have not seen them use carriers yet... anybody know if they do?

As for your destroyer problems, remember that ranged units (canons, archers, artillery) can bombard naval units.
Old November 22, 2000, 04:41   #7
Ithil
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:02
Remember, archers and cannons can't attack sea, they have insufficient range. It takes artillery at least.