Old November 21, 2000, 00:23   #1
Kautilya
King

Local Time: 03:03
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fog of War
Does anyone know how to turn off the fog of war? There seems to be an option in the cheat mode but that just reveals the whole map. Is this a bug?

Is there anyway of turning off the fog of war without using cheat mode (like in SMAC)?
Old November 21, 2000, 21:57   #2
DaveWhite
Settler

Local Time: 09:03
The only ways to completely remove the fog-of-war without cheating is to either explore the entire map or build the GlobeSat Wonder.
Old November 21, 2000, 23:17   #3
Kautilya
King

OK the term "fog of war" appears to mean something different in this game. In SMAC, if I recally correctly, "fog of war" means that the parts of the map which you have explored but where you don't have units or cities closeby are visible but shaded. This feature can be turned on and off in the main game.

In CTP turning fog of war off seems to reveal the whole map which is NOT what I want. I just want all parts of the map which I have explored to be uniformly bright regardless of whether I have a unit closeby or not.

I take it this is not possible in CTP2. This is a bit annoying because the contrast between the bright "active" part of the visible map and the half-shaded part is just visually unpleasant.
Old November 21, 2000, 23:46   #4
DarkOrder
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:03
There are a few ways to do this. The easiest is to place a unit in an area an set it to sentinel. In later ages you can acheive special" tile improvements that keep the "fog of war" at bay (listening post, radar tower, sonar buoy) and you can place "forts" as well. The wonder, Globe Sat, works as well. I ope this helps.

Smooshies
Old November 22, 2000, 23:42   #5
Kautilya
King

DO,
Thanks though what I was hoping for was a way to turn off the fog of war as a game option like in SMAC. As I said in the scenario editor turning off the fog of war just reveals the whole map. This appears to be a bug because the two things are definitely not the same .

Any prospect of Activision fixing this in a patch?

It's not a big deal in terms of gameplay but it's just annoying to the eye.